Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Decent Towels

Posted by Irene Field 
Decent Towels
March 27, 2018 01:46AM
I have always purchased Sheridan towels and love the quality. However now I am after a specific colour, which they do not make. I was at Farmers yesterday and they had the exact colour I wanted but it was definitely an inferior towel. I wondered if there were any other towel brands up to Sheridan standards anyone could recommend, so I can try and find the red that I want?
My towels always go in the dryer year round, as I prefer the finished softness to line drying - I am not sure if that can affect the quality of the towel?
Re: Decent Towels
March 27, 2018 02:05AM
Irene, like you I always buy Sheridan towels, in fact bought several just recently. I noted that the manufacturer's label recommended drying them in a dryer to achieve the soft finish you describe, soI guess they wouldn't be saying that if it was going to compromise the quality.

Christy is another brand I would recommend - available on-line from Queen B. I see they have a cherry red in their Supreme Hygro collection - not sure if that helps, maybe you are looking for a fire engine red.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
March 27, 2018 02:21AM
Barbara Anne - I could hug you!! That is exactly the red I am wanting. I have never heard of Christy before - but the credit card is seeing light of day immediately after I finish typing this thread
Thank you so, so much!! smiling smiley
March 27, 2018 10:56AM
I am a Sheridan towel person too so look forward to hearing how your Christy towels go.
March 27, 2018 11:04AM
Will post a review once I get them
March 27, 2018 11:47AM
I have a couple of Christy hand towels that I use in the kitchen for drying my hands. They are forever in the wash. I wash at 60 deg C and then they go in the drier. The once I've got are of very good quality but I don't know if there are different levels of quality within the Christy brand.
March 27, 2018 12:23PM
These are the ones that Barbara Ann mentioned Chris and appear top of the line
March 27, 2018 11:57PM
I am going to fly against the wind on all counts with this one. Back in 1994 my sister and I decided to do B&B so we bought a house together. We went shopping for necessities and purchased towels from, wait for it....... The Warehouse. The B&B has long gone and the labels have long since lost anything printed on them but the towels are just about as soft and cuddly as the day they were purchased.

I wash them in cold water and give them an extra rinse to remove all trace of the liquid detergent that I use. Then give them a good shake to fluff up the nap before I hang them in the sun and wind. That's all. When I get them off the line I always marvel at the way they feel and smell.

I had a dryer once but I gave it to my son and his partner when my first grandchild was born. I felt their need was greater than mine as they were living in Gisborne and bubs was only 3 months old when Cyclone Bola struck in 1988.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 11:58PM by Lorna.
April 09, 2018 08:01AM
Just a review re Christy towels, and these are the Supreme Hygro towels. They are just so beautiful to touch and soft. I had a wee problem with QueenB's website, as the Cherry Red showed as available, but after I had ordered they advised that they had one hand towel left and no towels. But I eventually found all that I wanted at Smith & Caughey online. They arrived today and I am just that impressed with how soft they are. So it is great to have an alternative to Sheridan.
Many many thanks to you Barbara Anne, I really appreciate your recommendation. I am super fussy when it comes to towels and physically went to Farmers, Bed Bath & Beyond and Briscoes - but it didn't help that I required a particular colour as well smiling smiley
April 10, 2018 09:32AM
Irene now you've got your towels you won't be replacing them for a while, but for future reference: I'm very fussy about towels as well and I used to buy Christy but now buy Baksana which have a lot of bamboo in them. They're incredibly soft and seem to keep that softness for longer than any of the other towels I've had. I've bought them before at Smith & Caughey but for my last batch bought them directly from Baksana online:

[www.baksana.co.nz]

They have cheaper towels in their range too but the bamboo towels are the ones that are the best.
April 13, 2018 11:14PM
I am about to buy new towels too f the colour I like is soon to be available at Wallace Cotton, has anyone had these before & what do you think of them?
April 15, 2018 01:11AM
Back home yesterday after being away since I posted re Christy towels. So glad that you are pleased with them Irene - apologies for not checking availability at Queen B but great that you were able to source them elsewhere.

Interesting comment re bamboo towels, Carolyn - I am familiar with the Baksana brand but didn't realise that they had a bamboo content. I have slept on bamboo sheets which were very soft so will definitely investigate Baksana next time I need to buy towels.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
J1
April 17, 2018 12:04PM
I accidentally bought some bamboo socks and very quickly they've gone shiny and slippery and are coming through at the toes. First and last pair for me.
April 17, 2018 11:21PM
I think just like the Egyptian Cotton, there are various grades of Bamboo cloth. I bought some bamboo knickers online, and they are fantastic. It has been two years now and they are strong as anything and still look brand new. Recently I bought Bamboo sheets (once again online and through one of the daily sale sites), and am less than impressed
April 18, 2018 02:20AM
At one stage my husband was very impressed with his bamboo socks. I wasn't quite so impressed as they took over 3 times longer than the other socks to dry. Not a good thing in winter.
April 18, 2018 02:26AM
I've noticed the same thing about bamboo socks. My son has some and loves that they're so soft... but, like you say, they end up needing 2 rounds in the dryer in winter. Its just annoying, and I won't be buying more when they wear out.
April 25, 2018 07:36AM
I've had the slow drying problem with bamboo clothing too, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the towels, perhaps because they're only 40% bamboo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.