Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Japan ?

Posted by TPANDAV 
Japan ?
August 21, 2018 07:34AM
We're thinking about a trip to Japan next March, and it will be our first visit. I'm in the early stages of trying to get my head around it, particularly accommodation. Does anyone have any experience they can share?

We are thinking to limit ourselves to the Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara) plus Tokyo, but other suggestions will be welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 01:30PM by TPANDAV.
Re: Japan ?
August 21, 2018 11:30AM
I can't offer advice but I will follow this with interest as Japan is high on my list of places to visit.
August 21, 2018 09:53PM
Mine, too. Just the other day I saved a website in my favourites that has links to other pages, all about visiting Ja[pan, which could be helpful:
[www.stuff.co.nz]

[www.tokyometro.jp] You may need to look at the top left and click on English to change the language

[www.stuff.co.nz]

[www.stuff.co.nz]

[www.stuff.co.nz]
This last one is written by Lorna Thornber. It isn't me!
August 22, 2018 01:01AM
I've been there on business so have only visited Tokyo but absolutely loved it. The people are gorgeous and of course the food is wonderful. Go for it.
August 22, 2018 01:23AM
I haven't been to Japan either (although maybe you should watch the Japan episode on Dark Tourist and steer clear of that area!!). However if you are wanting to do your own thing, rather than a hold your hand tour, what I tell customers in that situation is to look at the guided tours that are offered by coach companies, and then copy their itinerary. Those tours take you to the places/sights you should see, so use them as a guideline for your own itinerary
August 22, 2018 01:55AM
Thanks Irene, I've been doing that, and have been looking at Intrepid's tours. I'm not drawn to guided tours (haven't done one since China about 30 years ago) but am starting to think it might make sense if we can find one that doesn't involve too much hand holding but provides transport, accommodation and perhaps breakfasts.
August 22, 2018 02:55AM
A lot of them nowadays aren't the large coach tour types (although they do still exist). There are some excellent niche wholesalers in NZ for Japan
August 22, 2018 02:59AM
I learned Japanese years ago (written and spoken) with the idea of going to Japan. Things got in the way, and never made it. I am so envious of you. So many of them speak English now. One approached my brother in law and asked could she practice her English on him.
August 22, 2018 02:58PM
If you're looking for inspiration, I recently read Pretty Good Number One: An American Family Eats Tokyo:

[www.goodreads.com]

The descriptions of the food (at quite ordinary places, not fancy restaurants) are utterly mouthwatering and gave me a real sense for what to eat there - and a a longing to go!
August 22, 2018 10:35PM
Thanks CarolynC. The Kindle version is only $3.96 so I’ve bought it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.