Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Fitted Sheets

Posted by Chris 
Fitted Sheets
February 27, 2016 12:50AM
I bought two sets of lovely 1000 TC Queen size sheets (Ezibuy)for a Queen size bed in December and I am so disappointed. The sheets are of excellent quality but they have shrunk badly. The instructions say to wash cold but for hygiene reasons I wash my bed linen at 40 deg C and line dry only. The seams of the bottom sheets are starting to pull apart due to the tugging and the top sheets, although the length is good, can't be tucked under the mattress any longer. However, that doesn't bother me greatly as the fit is adequate. I use these sheets on a Queen size bed and was wondering if I should buy King size in the future as Queen size does not work. I would happily pay a bit extra for sheets that fit. I don't think that the brand is a problem as I have found that fitted sheets, despite the extra depth nowadays and from different brands, give me great difficulty when I change them. Do you have encountered this problem? If I go to King size I might face the possibility of a loose fit on the bed, but at least I would be able to get them onto the bed properly without pulling with all my strength.
DK
Re: Fitted Sheets
February 27, 2016 11:52AM
Sorry, I've never encountered this problem as I only use cotton jersey sheets and they have some stretch to them. Maybe try buying one pair of King size sheets that should only be cold washed, hot wash them like you normally do and see if they solve your problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 11:52AM by DK.
February 27, 2016 09:02PM
40ºC is hardly hot - blood heat is 37ºC so I don't think your washing in that temperture is the culprit in the shrinking sheets.

I buy my sheets from Briscoes when they're on special, and always look out for the highest thread-count I can find. I have two lovely sets of cotton sheets that I've had for about 6 or 7 years that weren't very expensive but I can't remember how much. I just know that I never pay a lot for my sheets. They're 1000tc and feel silky smooth. They're The Linen Company brand, 100% Egyptian Cotton (made in China) and the instructions say to wash in warm water before use; do not bleach or tumble dry; hot iron if necessary; do not dry clean. That's the first time I've read the instructions and I always wash in cold water and they're come to no harm and fit my queen size bed perfectly. Oh, and they're smart-looking, too, with a double folded edge and top stitching on the top of the flat sheet and pillowcases.
February 28, 2016 09:09AM
Lorna, like you I buy the bestsheets I can on special. I bought a set of 1000 thread at Briscoes some years ago, excellent quality and lovely pleated detail on the top sheet and pillow slips, but I encountered the same problem as with the recently bought ones. The Briscoes sheets get used on a Queen size spare bed now which has a thinner mattress and they fit ok, but only just. I think I'll buy a King size set of sheets when I come across a good deal and, like DK suggests, wash them at 60 deg C if they are too loose.
February 28, 2016 10:02PM
Return them, they should be sized to shrink.
February 28, 2016 10:10PM
I suspect you'll find the King size too loose, even after hot washing.. that said, I like a taught fitted sheet (never stays that was long though!).

I do agree with Karen that they shouldn't have shrunk that much and that it would not be unreasonable at all to return them, as they no longer fit the bed size they were sold to fit.

I buy Sheridan sheets when Farmers have their half price manchester sale and haven't had a problem with shrinkage. I wash them at 40C and in winter they do go in the dryer from time to time.

What I have noticed though, is their "Everyday" range is much shorter in the top sheet, so much so that you can have the top edge at the top of the mattress and at the other end there is only about 15cm to tuck under the mattress. I find this so annoying, especially as in the width they nearly touch the ground on either side (super king). So I now buy the more expensive range, sigh, but since it is only one set every few years it isn't so bad.
February 29, 2016 09:19AM
Thank you for your thoughts, Jenna. Yes, I too would find a loose fitted sheet annoying. I might give Ezibuy a call about the problem. The sheets had lots of very positive feedback although a couple of others talked about shrinkage and some about pilling, which I have not experienced. I'll keep my eyes open for Sheridan.
March 03, 2016 04:43AM
It may sound good in theory buying king sized sheets for a queen bed but it will probably still frustrate you. They will be 15cm wider but the length will still be the same.
Over the years I have bought a few different brands, and have certainly found with many of them that they do not allow extra sizing to allow for any shrinkage.
I too would contact Ezibuy. Good luck.
March 04, 2016 04:04AM
We bought a new Queen size mattress and base a few years ago and the mattress itself is very deep indeed. Queen size fitted sheets just don't do the job. I bought some King size sheets to see if that made a difference and have to say that the King fitted is good but the flat sheet is FAR to wide and needs tucking in around sides otherwise they hang almost to the floor! It is a pain tucking them in too and we have a valance and trying to make the bed is a pain in the butt. I wish some of the manufacturers would sell sheets separately. I have some very high count cotton sheets bought from Harvey Norman, they shrunk badly. Always go for poly/cotton now for that reason.
March 04, 2016 06:41AM
PatMac - you can buy separate sheets at Farmers. Granted they're not of the greatest quality, but if needed they're there. I buy separates for my sons' beds as we have more than enough pillowcases to last the rest of my life, and I don't want any more!
March 05, 2016 01:30AM
PatMac - There are a lot of different sheet depths to cater for the deeper mattresses. The standard sheet depth is now 40cm, but you can get them 45cm, 50cm and 55 cm. All sheet sets should have the measurements on them. It is reasonably easy to buy separate fitted sheets. Sometimes you have to ask the stores as they can get them but don't always have them in store.
March 08, 2016 12:49AM
Sandy, I read your comment with great interest. I had assumed that the depth of 40cm is all there is. I've not come across any other option. I have had Wallace Cotton sheets but they only offer 40 cm depth and they have shrunk as well. I have decided to give Ezibuy a call about the problem I have encountered. Even on special, the sheets I bought were rather expensive and I face the possibility of the seems in the corners coming apart despite very good stitching. I will also research the various brands to see what's on offer. Do you by any chance recall brands that have a more generous depth than 40cm?
March 08, 2016 07:45AM
Chris. I'll get some brand names when I go into work tomorrow so will post them tomorrow night. Sorry I can't remember them at the moment.
March 09, 2016 11:44AM
Thank you very much Sandy. I'd be very grateful. I phoned Ezibuy today and although I am out of the 'return' period by quite a bit they offered straight away to take the sheets back and asked if I would like replacement sheets or a refund. I was so pleased with their customer service. I don't want to have the sheets replaced because more likely than not, I'll run into the same problem with 100% cotton. I'll look for sheets with a greater depth. I will need to buy sheets via the internet as I can't see myself getting to Dunedin or Christchurch in the foreseeable future and there is not much to chose from in either Wanaka or Queenstown. I am just so relieved that I can return the sheets and also that different depth sizes are available.
March 09, 2016 12:30PM
An example of when good customer service results in good publicity although they might have lost out on this sale, your post is actually a very positive one, Chris.

I've bought flannelette sheets from Ezibuy in the last couple of years and been very pleased with them on our superking bed (deep mattress) and for our daughter in Dunedin.
March 17, 2016 07:01AM
Just bought sheridan sheets half price off at farmers online.
March 17, 2016 07:44AM
Ahh I think I need to go shopping. Thanks Plates, off to Farmers online now.
April 30, 2016 01:09AM
Hi DK , where do you buy your cotton jersey sheets Ive been looking for some..........thanks
December 19, 2020 08:53AM
The sheridan percale sheets are no longer available at Farmers, rather they are stocked at Smith & Caugheys at $300+.

Can anyone recommend any other brand of percale cotton sheets - (like the crisp feel and hate sateen)?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.