Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bathroom Scales

Posted by Plates 
Bathroom Scales
August 13, 2016 12:39PM
I am struggling here. No particular scale or brand gets rave reviews so what do people have here. How much should you pay. There are digital scales available from $30 upwards. Just looking at weight rather than bodyfat since too many folk saying that measure is inaccurate.
Re: Bathroom Scales
August 13, 2016 11:27PM
If you're looking for scales with an accurate read from week to week, does your doctor or chemist perhaps provide a screened off area where clients can weigh themselves and take their own blood pressure free of charge? Our local doctor does. But I'm not sure if the scales are the type that have the balance weights that are pushed back or forth along the bars (the most accurate as no springs needed) or just the common variety available everywhere. You must make sure you wear the same clothes and go at the same time every week - body weight can vary greatly at different times of the day. Try it and see - early morning just after rising and relieving yourself is probably the lightest you will be on any given day.

If you use the same scales every week at the same time of day, and wear the same clothes (or none at all) every week for your weigh in, does it really matter if they're not 100% accurate? You will know yourself by the way your clothes fit and how you look and feel whether you are achieving what you want to achieve.

Having said that, The Warehouse regularly has modern glass scales for sale anything from $15 or $20 upwards.
August 14, 2016 12:34AM
I'm like you Plates - all I want is a set of personal bathroom scales which simply reads my weight accurately and without all the fancy additions. Not sure whether to go digital or mechanical and I also read both good and bad reviews which leaves me wondering! Most expensive isn't necessarily the best. I will follow this topic with interest. I tossed my old mechanical scales out because they were just that: looking old and tatty (like me ha ha). Now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't!
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
August 14, 2016 03:26AM
I prefer digital. It's handy to get the more precise kg breakdown, e.g. 80.4kg, 80.8kg, etc, rather than just 80kg, 81kg.

I tend to buy Salter.

I currently have a model that measures body fat, body water, muscle mass and bone mass. Although some people talk about inaccuracy, they're still accurate enough to give a good idea. I hardly ever check those things but it's still fun and helpful to do now and again, especially if you're changing your diet and/or exercise as this will reflect in the measurements.

Your post made me realise I hadn't checked my measurements since 2013! So I just did them again and have more muscle mass than then, which will be due to a change in exercise. That's nice to know, as muscle mass is generally lost as we age and can be hard to keep.

It can also be fun to get other family members to hop on the scales and get their measurements. When you (a female) have a muscle mass reading that's more than the male members of your family, it can inspire people to eat better and get off the couch. smiling smiley
August 14, 2016 08:21AM
I just want a digital one which will just sit in the bathroom and can be used regularly but not everyday to check that body weight is being maintained. I would prefer to buy a recommended or known reliable brand but no brand stands out, so then do you just go down the cheaper route and spend just 20-30 bucks

I thought salter more did kitchen scales - will check out their bathroom ones - thanks.
J1
August 14, 2016 11:07AM
Farmers seem to have a half price sale on bathroom scales at the moment and they have a couple of Salter ones for $60 which seems to compare really well with what I looked at in Briscoes, etc. [www.farmers.co.nz]
August 15, 2016 12:40AM
I bought a cheap set at the warehouse BUT the battery keeps running out even when Im not using them!
Its annoying as Ive spent more on batteries than the scales.

Solar powered?

I know you re just looking at weight but my trainer (I do 3 cross fit type classes per week with a few people from work) says its a much better way to look at progress measuring body fat percentages.
he tells me that these type of scales although never 100% accurate are a better guide to health than curly looking at weight.

Ill be purchasing this type next time.

Vanessa
August 15, 2016 11:22PM
Vanessa, with the battery operated ones you have to stay on the scales, standing very still, until the numbers start flashing. That seems to be the trigger to turn them off a few seconds later. If you just get off them when they have reached a 'steady' figure, the battery remains on for quite some time afterwards, thereby shortening its life.
August 16, 2016 07:04AM
IIRC the last time I researched scales in about 2009, Tanita was the most recommended brand for accuracy. They have some super complicated and expensive models, and some more basic versions - but it seems like they all come wit body fat measuring, you don't have to use it though! From what I recall, their body fat measurement system was the most accurate of the home devices. I paid about $150 for mine as at the time it was very important to me to have properly accurate scales. I previously had a set of Weight Watchers digital scales and I could stand on them 4 times in a row and get 4 different readings, sometimes as much as 1.5kg apart. I never had that issue with the Tanita scales.

Here is one of their lower end models for $90.

[www.actionfitness.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 07:06AM by Jenna.
August 16, 2016 08:20AM
Jenna....I could see that Tanita had a reasonably good reputation as far as reviews etc go, but no particular model. I went off their website and went to buy one at one of their said stockists and they didnt have it. So actually while this seems petty, in objection to their horrific website and poor customer experience, I don't want to divert any cash their way. Off to farmers tomorrow to buy a salter.
J1
August 16, 2016 08:48AM
I can stand on my Salter multiple times in a row and always get the same readings, so I regard them as reliable. I've never had any problems or annoyances with them. Best wishes for finding some scales you're happy with - both price and performance.
August 16, 2016 10:05PM
the Weight Watchers brands are very reliable. I have had mine for about 10 years and they are excellent.I just have the weight only type that you buy from Briscoes.
August 25, 2016 12:12AM
I ended up buying Zip digital scales. So far excellent. There are no extras, they just give me my weight which is all that I want.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 25, 2016 01:55AM
Thanks everybody. I got the salter at half price. They seem fine so far.
May 23, 2019 11:46PM
happyleila Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .Thank you Lorna, you are on to her. Was just going to report her.thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.