Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Knives

Posted by dr.clarke 
Knives
December 14, 2016 01:38AM
I have two Mundial knives (15 and 20cm) that I love using, they are well balanced between handle and blade. For my vege knives and serrated tomato one, I am happy with the Victorinox range (especially the bright coloured handles, they are easy to find when I am doing veges from the garden!) I am looking at buying a full set and block for a special gift. How do you choose a great knife? Wondering what is your favourite brand of knife is and why. How many do you regularly use? TIA
Ruth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 01:40AM by dr.clarke.
Re: Knives
December 14, 2016 01:57AM
I like Global knives; they are light, well balanced and easy to sharpen. I mainly use a big chef's knife, a chunky 10cm all-purpose knife for heavier jobs, and a small very sharp paring knife for fruit and precision cutting.
December 14, 2016 02:11AM
global here to
December 20, 2016 09:49PM
Victorinox range (especially the bright coloured handles)

I LOVE these little knives - they are the bomb for fruit and vegetables.
Im just using a standard set - Whiltshire I think.

I'd LOVE to get a couple of Global or similar then bin the rest. I

make do with a bread knife, my 2 Victoronix ones - one serrated, one smooth and 2 others that are mutli purpose.
December 21, 2016 11:36AM
I love my 20 (ish) cm cooks knife. I think it is wustoff brand.
It is heavy which is what I like.
I regularly use this knife plus a couple of smaller options.
All are quality knives but my sharpening habits are appalling!
DK
January 01, 2017 10:30PM
My two favourite knives are Wusthoff but I have a variety of other brand knives in different shapes for different things. I favour the Santoku style of knife because I don't tend to use that cheffy rocking motion when I cut things up. I'm a sharpening fiend and my friends often get me to bring my ceramic knife sharpener when I visit. I always run my knives over a steel just before I use them as well.

I'm having a bit of a chuckle because I'm remembering my Nana's favourite knife was a bone-handled bread and butter knife that she kept razor sharp.
January 08, 2017 07:31AM
I seem to remember this conversation a while back. I have a set of Wusthoff Grand Prix knives (heavy duty chopping knife, cook's knife, carving knife (and fork), bread knife, paring knife and sharpening steel) purchased almost 30 years ago at the House of Knives in Auckland I recall the owner of the business being particularly knowledgeable and helpful.

While they cost what was, at the time, a small fortune, I regarded it as an investment and have never regretted it. They have been well cared for and professionally sharpened so are still as good as new and performing beautifully.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 07:34AM by Barbara Anne.
January 14, 2017 01:22PM
Barbara Anne, I could only find posts on sharpening knives, nothing on how to choose a good knife or what selection others have.
I have worked at various times in the food business as well as home cooking and preserving and know the value of a good knife and that keeping it very sharp is imperative.
Thanks for the replies so far. They have given me some insight in choosing knives. The Global ones look more modern and I will possibly go for this brand. (Not about looks I know but they do look good in a modern kitchen and appeal to younger cooks)
Still thinking about the number/lengths of knives.......
Ruth
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.