Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Seriously dry skin on legs

Posted by Vanessa45 
Seriously dry skin on legs
March 23, 2017 04:43AM
Gawd, I dont know if Im getting old (45years) but my skin on my legs is really dry and maybe a bit wrinkly looking. It used to be smooth and supple. What can I do about it?
Ha Ha I bet youre all going to tell me to suck it up, its just the ageing process ;-)

Vanessa

PS - Ive tried cocnut oil, Im not really a fan and currently use Nivea - for extra dry skin.
Re: Seriously dry skin on legs
March 23, 2017 08:14AM
Vanessa, I've used both products you mentioned and I am ok for a few hours or so. At present I am using a body butter from the Bodyshop. The jury is still out on this one though. I don't think it's appreciably better than the Nivea for dry skin which is considerably cheaper. Unless there is an affordable miracle cream I'll stick with the Nivea.
J1
March 23, 2017 08:40AM
They say glycerin is the best treatment for dry skin so any product with glycerin as one of the first three ingredients is likely to help the most. After that, it just becomes a question of cost (how much you want to pay for your glycerin) and what other ingredients are in the product that you're happy to put on your skin.

[www.truthinaging.com]
March 23, 2017 08:49AM
There's an excellent rehydrating cream prescribed for skin complaints called "Health Fatty Cream". Yes, I know, very appetising. It's is excellent for dry skin and I use it on my ankles and feet. I think it's available over the counter.
March 23, 2017 09:51AM
Was about to suggest Lemnis Fatty Cream, but I see it's been replaced by HealthE Fatty Cream (as per TPANDAV). It's low cost and it works.
March 23, 2017 11:39AM
I'll give the Health Fatty Cream a try. Do I get it from the Chemist or supermarket?
March 24, 2017 01:03AM
I don't know if it's still available, but Alpha Keri was what hospitals always gave you after you'd had a limb in plaster for a while. It was excellent for rehydrating the skin.
March 24, 2017 03:00AM
Chemist I think.
March 24, 2017 03:40AM
Bio Oil might be worth a try also.
March 24, 2017 11:24PM
what about exfoliating regularlt to get rid of the dead skin? then moisterising
Bev
March 25, 2017 09:45PM
I have always had dry legs and the product that works best for me is Palmers coco butter formula

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 10:06PM by Bev.
J1
March 26, 2017 09:55PM
The thing is too, put a little bit on EVERY day. That's the essential thing. Feet, heels, arms, legs, face, whatever - nothing will be dry again if you put it into your daily routine like you would cleaning your teeth.
March 26, 2017 10:41PM
I use Derma Sukin Intensive Hydrating Cream. It is fragrance free and comes in a 500ml black jar. The jar lasts two of us about 6 months. I think it is really good.
March 31, 2017 12:19PM
J1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thing is too, put a little bit on EVERY day.
> That's the essential thing. Feet, heels, arms,
> legs, face, whatever - nothing will be dry again
> if you put it into your daily routine like you
> would cleaning your teeth.

J1, I apply lotion or body butter religiously every day and sometimes twice but I still the skin on my legs gets very dry; not on my arms though. I will try some of the products recommended in this thread.
April 01, 2017 03:59AM
Vanessa45, I get dry skin on my lower legs. I can use any moisturiser fortunately, but it works best if I put it on straight after I've showered and dried my legs.
April 04, 2017 10:45PM
I use Trilogy rosehip oil. A tiny amount and onto almost wet skin after a shower.
April 05, 2017 02:14AM
At sometime in my past I was speaking with a pharmacist about dry skin on limbs. He said, try baby oil first, specially when you've just dried off after a shower. It works for me. A little goes a long way. There are lots of others out now that I also like, specially Aveeno but I always keep a bottle of the baby oil in the bathroom.
Just a note, don't do what I did once and apply it to wet legs while in the shower cubicle, it's so slippery.
J1
April 05, 2017 05:15AM
A general comment re dry skin - it's best not to use liquid/shower/body soaps all over your skin, especially those that contain sodium laureth sulfate, as they're very drying and can give you dermatitis. Water cleans your skin just fine without adding anything to it. if you've got some dirt on your skin that water won't clean/remove, just use a tiny bit of liquid soap (or use bar soap which isn't as drying).
April 07, 2017 03:35AM
Sorry its been so long in responding - lots of great ideas and responses.
One thing Im shocking at is being regular with applying creams and things so maybe things would be better if I got my routine a little bit better.
I like the idea of baby oil or in fact any oil in the shower BUT if I do it at night or before exercise I sweat like a pig - not great waking up with wet sheet lol!

I have tried Bio oil - sorry didnt rate that one, felt it was drying and love Trilogy rosehip oil but maybe expensive to use on my legs.

Vanessa
April 07, 2017 05:40AM
Personally I wouldn't use baby oil, it's a mineral oil and it'll strip your skin of vitamins...much like bio-oil. (which is why we say not to use it on babies)
April 21, 2017 08:35AM
Baby oil - lol but not for babies ;-)
October 14, 2017 01:24PM
Ive just discovered Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating lotion - its reasonably priced and great. Its from the chemist.

I was buying thicker creams but spending time rubbing them in and giving up - this is a lotion, its really good.

Vanessa
October 16, 2017 11:04PM
Aveeno moisturizer put on after shower is really good.I buy the tube ,easy to pack to take away.
October 19, 2017 12:13PM
That was another one the chemist suggested. thumbs up

Vanessa
October 31, 2017 02:29PM
try natural oils, I like argana and coconut oils mix
J1
October 04, 2021 11:53PM
More good news re glycerin as excellent and safe for skin
[www.sciencedaily.com]
Glycerin is safe, effective in psoriasis model
Date: October 4, 2021
October 09, 2021 05:25AM
When next at doctors ask him for cream for your legs. I get mine from the doctor. Skin tears are not good on dry skin. I moisturize straight after a shower. It's amazing how quickly the skin absorbs the cream.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.