Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

currency in Rarotonga

Posted by Memmi 
currency in Rarotonga
March 27, 2017 12:29AM
Would we best to take NZ dollars or Australian dollars to Rarotonga. Does it make any difference? We wondered if one was more acceptable than the other. Is there any restriction on food taken in? Thank you.
Re: currency in Rarotonga
March 27, 2017 12:55AM
NZ Dollars as it is $ for $ in the Cook Islands. Definitely not Australian Dollars as you will incur currency exchange rate differences

Food... as long as it is sealed, ie cheese is fine. Our last visit we were staying in a home and took vacuum packed steak and sausages with us. But do declare it of course.
March 27, 2017 02:47AM
Thank you Irene. We will only be taking nibble stuff, so that sounds good. Did you experience any difficulties with EFTPOS or Credit cards?
March 27, 2017 03:26AM
EFTPOS you will only be able to use at bank ATMs. Credit Card - absolutely no problems. And they have caught up with the times.. when I visited Raro for the first time in the 80s .. the credit card debits took ages to come through - and I was joking that even they are on island time. However I notice times have changed with technology, and the debits are immediate smiling smiley
March 27, 2017 10:01AM
Memmi snacks such as nuts, crackers and chips are all available in the local supermarket for much the same price as home. The only nibbles worth taking are refrigerated items such as cheese, dips/pate etc... as anything refrigerated is expensive and the choices are limited.
April 15, 2017 05:36PM
Thank you Helen. Useful info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.