Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

ClearShield Glass Coating - Showers

Posted by Irene Field 
ClearShield Glass Coating - Showers
May 01, 2017 01:21AM
I know we have had the topic before of cleaning glass showers after installation. We are looking at a bathroom renovation, and I mentioned to the designer that I was anti glass showers for this reason as they appear a lot of persistence and squeegees to keep clean. He mentioned the product ClearShield Glass Coating, which is applied to glass and forms a bond and stops the cloudiness, soap build up etc.

Is anyone familiar with this product. Reviews are few and far between, which makes me wonder how effective it is.

Thanks, Irene
Re: ClearShield Glass Coating - Showers
May 01, 2017 01:32AM
I don't know if it would be compatible with your renovation plans, but in our new house our showers have no glass, they are enclosed by tiled walls with an opening, no door. It was our builder's suggestion and it works wonderfully. We have used shiny white subway tiles and they are really easy to clean.

In our last house we had glass shower walls and over the years I must have tried every product available to clean them, never with 100% results.
May 01, 2017 03:16AM
We have very dear friends whom we visit several times a year, I hate having a shower at their house as their shower is tiny (I'm NOT), and must be squeegeed clean after every use. It always looks spotless when we arrive, and I always feel my efforts are inadequate. If I ever get around to getting the bathroom re-done I'll be looking at other options than glass.
May 01, 2017 05:53AM
Irene, it is probably a different product to the one we had done to our shower years ago. Although, it looked good and was easy cleaning for a while, eventually it was back to the "elbow grease" method of cleaning. Not so much for the soap build up, that's always easy to remove, especially as we wipe down the surface before it dries but (I think) because of the water spots caused by minerals in our water supply. It is clean but those water spots are hard work.

The door and one of the shower walls are glass. If you do go ahead with it, Irene, I'd be interested to hear your impression.

Griz, I keep a squeegee close by, too. winking smiley.
May 01, 2017 04:00PM
Thanks ladies. Because we are an older house we have extremely limited space to work with. We intend gutting the entire bathroom, and I hate shower boxes - especially in a 1920's house!. So we are looking at the walled option as you have TPANDAV - but,, showers legally have to be a width of at least 900 I think he said, so a tile wall makes the walk in shower area too narrow. But he suggested a sheet of glass instead as that will be thinner and give us the 900 requirement. But then we get into the squeegees and water spots, as Griz and Marnie have mentioned. And he told me about this ClearShield Glass product.

Currently we have a shower over a claw foot bath and shower curtains. We intend staying in this house as long as we possibly can, and because I am getting close to retirement age am thinking of the bathroom and if ever there are mobility issues. Climbing up and over into a claw foot bath is easy now, but that may not always be the option! And I am so clumsy - I can fall over in a flat field of grass (and have done) - so climbing into the bath could be an accident waiting to happen.

I actually will ask on Neighbourly about that ClearShield and if anyone has reviews on it.
May 01, 2017 05:21PM
Hahaha, Irene. When I first saw the subject of your post I thought "Oh no! Another spammer" Then I saw your name and breathed a sigh of relief!
May 01, 2017 05:53PM
Just for you Lorna...... hehehehehe
Attachments:
open | download - call centre.jpg (67 KB)
J1
May 04, 2017 04:48PM
Irene, I was puzzled by your comment that you were told "showers legally have to be a width of at least 900 I think he said, so a tile wall makes the walk in shower area too narrow. But he suggested a sheet of glass instead as that will be thinner and give us the 900 requirement." as I was pretty sure there's no shower size regulations. I confirmed with a builder today that there are none and you can build a shower any size you like. He said the ideal size for comfort is about 900 x 750. He also said if you're using a shower tray then you're dependent on the size of the tray but if you build a wet floor shower then you can build it to any size /dimensions you like.
May 04, 2017 08:33PM
J1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Irene, I was puzzled by your comment that you were
> told "showers legally have to be a width of at
> least 900 I think he said, so a tile wall makes
> the walk in shower area too narrow. But he
> suggested a sheet of glass instead as that will be
> thinner and give us the 900 requirement."
as
> I was pretty sure there's no shower size
> regulations. I confirmed with a builder today
> that there are none and you can build a shower any
> size you like. He said the ideal size for comfort
> is about 900 x 750. He also said if you're using
> a shower tray then you're dependent on the size of
> the tray but if you build a wet floor shower then
> you can build it to any size /dimensions you like.

That is interesting and thank you so much for posting that info. Maybe we can go back to Square One and get what we want. I am doing the rounds of bathroom product shops tomorrow and will ask them. I prefer not to have a shower tray , and my preference is for a tiled walk in shower. Once again huge thanks!!
J1
May 04, 2017 11:28PM
That's great Irene, best wishes for achieving the result you seek. The builder added a bit more info re shower trays so I add it here in case it's of any use. He said you can have a shower tray that fits flush with the floor or sits up above the floor. There are fibreglass trays that you put tiles on top of. If you don't buy a pre-existing fibreglass tray, the tiler person can fibreglass "everything" themselves (done with like a trowel apparently) and then tiles are laid over the fibreglass. You can also use something like treated plywood instead of fibreglass. The plywood can be any size you want, you cut the floor joists to put it in flush (with falls to the drain), etc, etc............
May 05, 2017 01:18AM
that is even more interesting J1.... for our tiled wall, he said we have to allow enough depth for tiles on each side. However if they can do a sheet of fibreglass or treated piles - for a floor - surely they can do this for a wall.

I have just been sharing all of this info with George, and we both came to the same conclusion. We are not going to spend a lot of money on something that we aren't happy with. I would rather stick with the status quo if it comes to that. Definitely not doing a bathroom reno for the sake of doing one.

I do appreciate your input thanks!!
May 07, 2017 04:01AM
Irene, I've had two lots of glass treatment applied in my bathroom. One was as we renovated - it was supposed to be a Diamond Fusion but the glass was faulty and they had to replace it a the last minute, so they used a coating which was applied with a cloth. I always had my doubts about that as opposed to the one we were supposed to have which was baked onto the glass. It did work (you could see the water not sticking to it), but got less effective over time. After a couple of years I looked for another and had that applied after having the glass professionally cleaned (can't remember the name of the second one). Gain, it's better than not having any, but over time it also lost its effectiveness. So I can't comment on the ClearShield in particular, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend what we had given that it was quite expensive.
May 08, 2017 04:44PM
Thanks for that feedback Carolyn. I think all of the products will be much of a muchness. We have had further developments, and a tiled wall is possible, BUT will minimise our shower width to 750, which is possible, but it means if you turn, bend etc you are likely to be hitting yourself. And if we had a thinner wall, which is feasible - it could then be fairly fragile.. So have opted for a frameless 2 wall glassshower, with white tiles and black grouting on the other 2 walls. I got myself to a Bathroom showroom on Saturday morning, and what I do like is that tapware, towel rails and even the shower door hardware (ie handle, hinges) can be supplied in a black finish.
So we will have a white tiled bathroom with black touches, and keep some of the original wood - which hopefully will be a modern bathroom but not all gleaming stainless steel and minimalist.
My next mission is the vanity - which will have to be custom made to fit in a corner space. We have a kitchen cupboard (tall) which houses the original 1920's water cylinder (not in use), which is pure copper. I would love to have the joiner cut it and use the copper as a door feature somehow. Not sure how it will look but my next mission is to touch base with the joiner (we are lucky to have an excellent company here in Hamilton - that can do anything you want. Well over 15 years ago they custom made my table and dining chairs (son has them) and they are still going strong. So I hope Vaughn can come up with ideas for the vanity.
It's times like these I wish I had a PA!! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 04:46PM by Irene Field.
May 09, 2017 06:41AM
Irene the white with black sounds absolutely lovely. I think you're very wise not to opt for a narrow shower. Before I renovated my bathroom I had put up with a tiny triangular plastic shower, meant for a small ensuite, for sixteen years. My shower is now 900mm wide and goes the entire width of the bathroom (frameless glass, tiled walls). I exult in all the room every day!smiling smiley.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.