Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Snacking at night

Posted by IngridO 
Snacking at night
May 31, 2017 05:17AM
I'm so good during the day, I eat healthy and don't even think much about food but as soon as I sit down for "ME" time at night after dinner (kids in bed etc) I start snacking - cheese and crackers, toast even weetabix on bad days...

I'm not hungry, its just being still and relaxed ( maybe bored) that seems to start my snacking

Any ideas for curbing the after dinner snacking habit?
Re: Snacking at night
May 31, 2017 06:35AM
I laughed reading this as I was eating a handful of nuts at the timesmiling smiley. (I know a handful of nuts a day is very healthy but stopping at one is my problem!) My only suggestion is to go cold turkey. I find it very easy to get into the habit but not so easy to get out of it again - we don't eat dessert normally, but on the rare occasions I've made ice cream we seem to get into the dessert habit instantly and I miss it when we finish the ice cream. For me the only solution is to tough it out until I'm used to not having it again. And one other solution some of my friends have used successfully is to take up a handcraft. Hard to eat when you're knitting, and you can do it in front of the TV!
May 31, 2017 04:12PM
Like us all we can easily develop habits and the only way to break them is to change our mind-set and normal routine and occupy our hands and minds in something else in our ME time. Really hard thing to do I know! I agree with CarolineC!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 31, 2017 07:56PM
Pick a treat that you really like, buy it and hide it from the kids.
Sit down in the evening and have a small amount of it, savour and enjoy it!
Treats are OK if you keep them to manageable portion sizes and sometimes when you are a busy working parent it is lovely to have some "me" time that involves a treat.
June 08, 2017 03:57AM
Sit down and have a piece of fruit, I often, when in season has a bowl of feijoes at night. Tonight I peeled a persimmon and chomped on that. Better than snacks!.
June 08, 2017 11:13PM
Helen, I found it interesting that your advice is to have a small amount whereas mine was about not having it at all. Gretchen Rubin in her book The Happiness Project says there are two sorts of people, ones who are OK with small amounts of a treat and ones who find it easier just to not have it at all. Gretchen is in the latter category and so am I - if I don't have it in the house I don't miss it but I find it difficult to restrict myself to a small portion if it's there. Sounds like you're in the other category! The key thing is to work out which you are and go from there rather than struggling against your natural tendencies..
J1
July 03, 2017 05:52AM
Here you go, this might help... [www.sciencedaily.com]
July 03, 2017 07:07PM
Fiends have been known to give me my favourite chocolate. When it's in the house, beckoning, teasing, I don't rest until it's all gone. Round and round I pace casting 360 degree furtive looks at it. I try desperately to restrict myself to one piece or maybe two, or even four or eight pieces, which seems quite a stingy amount, but my mind won't rest and my grump levels rise until, anxiety driven I inevitably I pounce on the chocolate, teeth bared, tongue salivating, tear off the entire wrapping and stuff it into my face til I feel quite sick. Sick but happy. Ahhh!. If it isn't in the house I don't miss it one little bit and don't even think about chocolate. I walk past the choccy offerings in the shops and feel nothing. No interest, not the slightest niggle of interest.

It's the same with gin. I don't particularly like gin but I do love the smell of juniper and a hefty slug of gin and mean measure of tonic with a wedge of lime becomes a beautiful thing. I don't miss it if it's not in the house and don't even think to buy any for just for us. If gin guzzling guests are expected then I happily toddle off to buy a bottle forgetting my wayward tendencies. Sadly, I find most guests want only the most infinitesimal amount ("more?" "oh no thanks, just a soupson thanks" not worth the effort of removing the top; so there it is again, my bet noir taunting me until it's all gone. I think it's the smell. I love the smell of dark chocolate with hazel nuts and love the smell of good gin, but if it isn't opened then I have no burning desire to open it for myself.

Christmas presents, birthday presents, I will not rest until I've gone on a treasure hunt and found them, shaken the parcels, sniffed them, poked and prodded and guessed what's inside. Why put off pleasure when you can have it NOW! There could very well be another pleasure lurking just around the next couple of seconds. Tomorrow you could be run over by a Harley Davidson and that chocolate would still be only half eaten. How sad is that? I also pray that I never get run over by a HD when I'm only half way through a good book because then I'd never know the ending, so, of course I read the last page first - just in case.
J1
July 04, 2017 01:25AM
Poetry, reason, recognition and life from Kone again.
July 04, 2017 02:28AM
...........and I loved reading every word of it too! Thanks Kone. A bright spot in a dull very wet day.
Regards,
Dawn.
July 04, 2017 03:09AM
Thank you Jone and Done. Tongue in cheek when there's a chocolate melting. Hey, but true. Sort of.
July 04, 2017 04:21PM
Kone, I always insert an imaginary dash when I read your nom-de-plume: K-One. Probably due to your former self before the reincarnation. Kone when pronounced as written (coney) sounds far too .........................Hawaiian. And when pronounced in English (Cone) it's reminscent of the Cone of Silence - God forbid! smileys with beer
July 04, 2017 04:57PM
Foodlovers thirsts for your contributions, Kone.
July 04, 2017 06:01PM
Cheers back Lorna, drinking smiley aka Lone aka L-One but I had to reincarnate. My name was in grave danger of being stolen by a new kid on the block with aspirations to be K1 so daggers were drawn if you recall and happily I didn't lose and the upstart was quashed and kicked into touch. Interestingly, there is a white van in our very street with the number plate KONE and it isn't me. I would never have a boring old white van like that so not much chance people who know me would assume it was mine anyway. I might just decide to pronounce it as Kun as in dun or done or one. Something to ponder on this mild winter's day so thank you. And Stone aka S-One aka Stephanie1 confused smiley
July 08, 2017 05:03AM
Im totally the same - the struggle is real!
I make soup, lots of it and go crazy with that however too much soup makes you crave something solid such as toast or crackers so its not exactly a win/win.

Try roasting some chick peas with a spicy mix and avoiding wine - all the willpower goes out the window.

Vanessa
July 08, 2017 05:07AM
LOVE your post Kone - I think Im your twin!
I even unwrapped some Xmas presents as a child and liked the one for my sister better so rewrapped it with the swapped presents.

If its there, I have to eat it - it taunts me till its gone.

Vanessa
July 11, 2017 06:42AM
If you want a decent snack that's not too bad for you:

Try some low fat cottage cheese
Supplement sites now do healthy desserts too, packed with protein and low on carbs
Salads with some balsamic glaze

Instagram: @Notorious_Foodie

thumbs up smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.