Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

My Pet Hate

Posted by IngridO 
My Pet Hate
June 28, 2017 12:15PM
I have a real problem with the little round stickers on apples. I find them stuck everywhere around my house, even in my car!

Whats yours?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 12:15PM by IngridO.
Re: My Pet Hate
June 28, 2017 10:15PM
Child proof locks on bottles! I wish they could give you an option to purchase cleaners/medicines with or without
June 28, 2017 10:55PM
I work in retail. My pet hate is having money (notes) thrust at me all folded up or scrunched. It's interesting to see how many people pull money out of their pockets or straight out of their handbags or even out of plastic bags. Are wallets expensive these days?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
Bev
June 28, 2017 11:23PM
So called removal labels on things you buy and then having to spend ages trying to get the label off.
June 28, 2017 11:25PM
I agree with you Barbara Anne,I always keep my notes flat and neat in my wallet but my heart sinks when I am given crumpled up notes as change.
June 29, 2017 12:27PM
Bev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So called removal labels on things you buy and
> then having to spend ages trying to get the label
> off.

And be left with a sticky mess!
June 29, 2017 12:30PM
Irene Field Wrote:
> Child proof locks on bottles! I wish they could
> give you an option to purchase cleaners/medicines
> with or without

I agree Irene. This is my pet hate too. If I didn't have my husband to deal with that matter I'd have to ask the checkout operator or packer to unscrew the tops for me as I just can't open them. I don't know if it's a lack of strength but I just can't manage it.
June 29, 2017 10:24PM
Thanks Chris - I am glad I am not the only one. Fortunately Hubby opens them for me. So everything is partially unscrewed, which is even more dangerous.

And Bev, your comment re sticky labels. Why on earth do they sell these appliances with these huge sticky labels that leave horrendous marks when you remove them? I don't want them to stay on and to be constantly reminded of the energy saving. My washing machine was a major to remove the residue, and there is a small section where you can still see marks. I used all the recommended products for sticky residue, and nothing worked on one small section. It really bugs me seeing it every day
June 29, 2017 11:23PM
Irene, put a sticker over the offending marks! the finger smiley
Perhaps a sticker from a piece of fruit would be more pleasing than what is currently there. yawning smiley hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 11:25PM by Lorna.
June 29, 2017 11:35PM
Irene have you tried rubbing eucalyptus oil on the spot? That's pretty good at removing sticky stuff.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 29, 2017 11:37PM
Lorna Wrote:
> Irene, put a sticker over the offending marks!
> the finger smiley
> Perhaps a sticker from a piece of fruit would be
> more pleasing than what is currently there. yawning smiley
> hot smiley

Touche Lorna!! And shall I add to it, a glued on crumpled $5 note, a child proof cap - and call it an art installation labelled 'Frustration'
J1
June 30, 2017 02:43AM
Those talking about sticky residue after label removals, etc, have you tried De-solv-it (it's orange oil - very safe; you can even use it on your skin). [www.mitre10.co.nz] I've found it pretty useful and agree with all the other people on foodlovers who have recommended it in the past.
June 30, 2017 02:57AM
J1 Wrote:
> Those talking about sticky residue after label
> removals, etc, have you tried De-solv-it (it's
> orange oil - very safe; you can even use it on
> your skin).
> [www.mitre10.co.nz]
> pot-stain-remover-125ml-clear/p/325522 I've
> found it pretty useful and agree with all the
> other people on foodlovers who have recommended it
> in the past.

Hi J1... yes, a sI have De-solv-it, and also another product mentioned on FL previously. Then George brought home some heavy duty degreaser from work. Of course we waited between each product, but there is that one patch of sticky grey residue, that won't budge
June 30, 2017 03:41AM
When people cut avocados the wrong way.

When my laptop runs out of battery.

Fruit stickers.

Packets I cant open easily.

Things that break or work in a shoddy way.

Un fizzy drinks - if I open it, its drunk straight away.

Vanessa
J1
June 30, 2017 09:50AM
Irene, would you consider using as minimal amount of liquid Jif as you can get away with to remove it? In my experience, it may well work but if you have to rub heavily it might result in a permanent dull surface patch - which might be more acceptable and less visible than the sticky patch anyway..
June 30, 2017 10:56AM
My pet hate, noisy eaters. I have misophonia, and the sound of mouth noises is a real trigger for me. It's even worse if the person is someone I like! I work with a woman who gulps her drinks, crunches nuts, fruit and salad all night... she's a lovely woman, but I dread my shifts with her. Can't stand mouth noises on TV either, kissing scenes make me want to heave.
July 01, 2017 03:49AM
Irene, given that the usual suspects have not worked, what I would be inclined to do with your sticky grey patch is to give it a nudge with a glass scraper- the razor blade type that you take paint spots off windows with or remove stubborn spots off ceramic cooktops..Provided the blade is sharp and you are careful to just skim the surface without digging in to it, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. You may or may not need to dampen said sticky spot first - see how you go.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 01, 2017 08:19AM
People who open a packet of biscuits or crackers and just shove them in the cupboard without putting them in a sealed container.

People who take the last item out of a container and then put the container back in the fridge/cupboard.

Non bubbly water when it is supposed to be bubbly. As Vanessa says, drink it all at once.

Children who put their school uniforms in the laundry last thing Sunday night and expect that they will be clean for Monday morning....

Phew that got a load off. smiling smiley
July 01, 2017 09:59AM
Griz Wrote:
> My pet hate, noisy eaters. I have misophonia, and
> the sound of mouth noises is a real trigger for
> me.

I never knew there was a word for this. I just thought I was weird and intolerant. I have strong physical reactions to repetitive noises (and songs), whispering, people talking when they need to clear their throat, people slurping drinks, and more..

Thank you - I don't feel quite so odd about it now.
July 02, 2017 05:08AM
Griz me too and I never knew there was a name for this. Hearing my husband crunch an apple makes me want to scream! I had a flatmate years ago that was the same. Being in a car with her and an apple was torture.
Kissing noises are hideous.
I am now going to Google it.
Bev
July 02, 2017 08:12AM
Griz, your comments describe me to a tee, I didn't know there was a name for this either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2017 08:16AM by Bev.
July 02, 2017 08:18AM
Helen, I love my husband dearly, but I could kill him when he eats cereal, or an apple or sometimes even a sandwich. Seriously, I get tense, my jaw clenches, my hands ball themselves into fists....I end up leaving the room to avoid screeching at him. I also have several people at work who I can't be in the same room with when they eat. I realise it's my problem, so I'd never say anything to anyone, but I do have to leave the room.
July 02, 2017 08:19AM
Jenna and Bev, welcome to the club! As you can see this is not an uncommon condition.
July 02, 2017 09:04AM
Misophonia. It isn't an illness and shouldn't have a name or is it a name for an irritable person by nature? I don't mean to offend here.
July 02, 2017 09:20AM
Oh my I have laughed out loud tonight ....and reminded myself of a few others

People who squeeze the teabag with their fingers into the cup! eeeeewwwww

Knife lickers!
July 02, 2017 12:10PM
No Marylew it's not an illness, it is a condition. To be honest I place it on the autistic spectrum disorders. I find your comments quite hurtful.
July 02, 2017 12:44PM
There are lots of very real psychological conditions and disorders that aren't illnesses. Just because they manifest in the mind rather than other areas of the body doesn't make them any less significant to the sufferers. In days gone by, what we now consider to be serious mental illnesses were considered by the medical profession, and the general public, to be people simply behaving badly, being of weak mind or nervous disposition. Thankfully we've moved on from those times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2017 12:44PM by Jenna.
July 02, 2017 01:47PM
Additionally I accept that the problem is mine, and leave the room rather than act on the impulse I have to screech and do anything I can to stop the noise. I don't expect anyone to pander to me, but I didn't expect to be made fun of.
July 02, 2017 09:41PM
Griz I am sorry that I have offended you as it was never my intention too.I could understand what you were saying and going through until I heard the name for it.I then became the irritable person.
July 03, 2017 12:51AM
We learn something every day. I never knew there was a name for it, either. I don't like noisy eaters or slurpers but the effect on me really depends on whether or not I am having a bad hair day.
I can relate to a lot of what annoys others and further to your comment about screwed up notes, Barbara Anne, I will also add taking money from someone who has been holding it in their teeth, no wonder germs go around so quickly.
At the moment the biggest turn-off for me is when people cannot hold a conversation without checking their phone all the time. It's even ahead of speaking with someone who keeps looking anywhere but at me.
ps I'm not perfect either and am not about to fess up about my faults. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.