Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Frames for glasses?

Posted by Stephanie T 
Frames for glasses?
July 04, 2017 12:03AM
I seem to remember that various members have had success sourcing frames from an on line company? I'm looking for designer classy glasses! I've had my current glasses for over twenty years and they still look good but are suffering from metal fatigue.
Re: Frames for glasses?
July 04, 2017 05:24AM
I have had great success buying from Zennioptical.com.
I have an eye test done here and ask for the printed prescription - which you are absolutely entitled to as part of the fee you pay. I then key in the specs from the prescription, double- and triple-checking for accuracy.
I then go trawling their site for frames, having selected progressive, metal/plastic/rimless or whatever ... endless options.
So far I have ordered five pairs (over as many years), with each pair costing about $NZ130 all up, including the frames, non-reflective glare coating, currency exchange, freight. They usually take about 3 weeks to arrive.
I cannot recommend Zennioptical highly enough.
I would LOVE to support the NZ optometry industry, however it is very difficult to do so when I can save around $850 by buying online.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2017 12:38AM by Sueblue.
July 04, 2017 10:54PM
Thank you, Sueblue, for this info. I haven't looked yet but look forward to later today.
July 05, 2017 12:22AM
I feel satisfied with the service provided by Specsavers which includes a full eye exam as I am an AA member. I've been using them for the last 6 years, having an eye exam every 2 years. The first time I paid around $170 for 2 pairs of specs: 1 reading, 1 long distance, as I can't wear bi-focals. The second time I had my eye exam I didn't need new specs so the cost was nil. I am due for my 3rd visit on the 21st of this month and know I will need new specs this time, so I'll report back and let you know what the cost is this time.

I could use my current frames again, giving further savings, as they're still in good condition, but I feel like a change.
July 05, 2017 01:28AM
I second Lorna's sentiments - I find the service provided by Specsavers is excellent. What I don't quite understand is how you can choose frames from an on-line provider. I seem to spend ages choosing and trying on frames - those that I like and look good on the display stand may not necessarily suit me or fit properly (BTW Specsavers will also take a photo of you with them on so that you get a different perspective than you do when looking in a mirror).

They also have a 90 day (I think I remember correctly) 'customer satisfaction guarantee' which enables you to take your glasses back if you are unhappy for any reason and choose another frame.

Also last time round when I bought three frames all with progressive lenses, including sunglasses, I took advantage of an interest free and deferred payment finance option, so I didn't have to come up with the full (not insubstantial) payment immediately - I will pay it before the interest kicks in, either in a lump sum or in dribs and drabs before then.

No I don't work for Specsavers and I do plenty of on-line shopping but for the reasons outlined, I would never consider buying spectacle frames on-line.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 07, 2017 12:47AM
Barbara Anne, I know the shape of frame that suits me and I use this knowledge to make my selection. Choosing a frame is the most difficult part as there are hundreds and hundreds on offer, some for as little as $US8 for the frame.

On the site you upload a photo of yourself without specs, then you can get an impression of what the frames will look like on you.
To get the fit right, you take measurements of an existing pair that fits well - the width from hinge to hinge, the depth of the lens ~ progressive lenses need a certain minimum depth ~ the length of arms from hinge to ear ...

Of the five pairs I have bought, including sunnies, I have only needed one pair adjusted by a professional in NZ and I was very happy to pay the optometry shop the $25 they charged me.

Until such time as I can get progressive lenses in beautiful frames for about $NZ130, I'll continue to buy online.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.