Plastic bags and paper towels
July 22, 2017 12:17PM
I always tie plastic bags collected in a knot in the middle and keep. Its a throwback from flatting days and someone used to do it.
I also use paper towels quite a bit despite not growing up with them in the house.

Currently I keep my plastic bags in a plastic bag tied to a door railing (on the inside) and the paper towels float to where ever they are needed and occasionally end up in a drawer.

Recently I invested in a magnet knife holder - its the BEST thing ever so I thought Id ask you guys whats my best bet for my storing plastic bags and paper towels that is convenient and looks good. Im keen to avoid adding to my already small work space.

Vanessa
J1
Re: Plastic bags and paper towels
July 22, 2017 12:37PM
I find the knotted plastic bags annoying. It seems an unnecessary step and then you have to undo it again when you want to use the bag. I'm like, don't you know they stuff into whatever you're storing them in just as well without the knot? I have a bag holder, which makes the knotting habit even more pointless... [www.etsy.com]

Paper towels. I use a few regularly - I probably buy 4 rolls of them a year. So there's no need for a dispenser for mine. The current roll just sits upright on a pantry shelf, to grab when needed.
July 23, 2017 01:09AM
We bought this Ikea Plastic Bag Holder from Ikea in Thailand (a lot cheaper than what is quoted on Fishpond $NZ297 for two!) and I am sure you would even find cheaper copies on AliExpress?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 01:10AM by Irene Field.
July 23, 2017 03:03AM
If you have access to a sewing machine and can sew a straight line. Make your own bag holder by getting a longish rectangle of any fabric, folding the ends over enough to hold some elastic, sewing the pocket for elastic, then sewing the long ends together. Thread elastic and tighten until the opening on the bottom is about 3cm, the top can be larger. Attach something to make a loop to hook it on, and hang it on the inside of a cupboard door. Stuff your bags in the top and pull them out the bottom.

Or you can buy one from somewhere.

As for paper towels. I have something like this. My bench space isn't huge, but there is a spot that works.

[www.amazon.com]
July 23, 2017 03:43AM
I have what Irene has, think its marvelous. I lie mine down in a large drawer I have in the kitchen and can pull one out of the holes. For paper towels I have a narrow ledge under the sink at the back and just store my unused paper towells there.
July 23, 2017 06:56AM
Irene Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We bought this
> [url=http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80
> 010222/]Ikea Plastic Bag Holder[/url] from Ikea in
> Thailand (a lot cheaper than what is quoted on
> Fishpond $NZ297 for two!) and I am sure you would
> even find cheaper copies on AliExpress?
Irene did I read that figure right or is there a full stop missing. I do what Vanessa does. I tie a knot because I th ink it makes the bags somewhat less bulky. I guess it's become a habit to do so. The tied bags go into a plastic bag that lives in a kitchen drawer. I use a lot of paper towels and the roll sits on a stand similar to the one shown in the Amazon link. I do have enough bench space.
July 23, 2017 07:25AM
Chris I didn't go on to Fishpond's actual size, and just googled the Ikea Plastic Bag Holder and that is what came up in the google search That surely has to be an error?????
July 23, 2017 07:50AM
It says it ships from the UK - which probably means that they're sending it FedEx or something similar. And for a box large enough to contain two, it would certainly cost a lot to FedEx that.

A slightly more reasonable option is the same product for $9 - available in NZ even smiling smiley

[www.urbansales.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 07:50AM by Jenna.
July 23, 2017 09:25AM
Jenna, when you purchase the IKEA ones they are flatpack and two to a pack
July 23, 2017 10:09AM
Yikes, then no excuse at all for such a stupid price!
July 23, 2017 10:34AM
I absolutely LOVE AliExpress Here is the copycat version of the IKEA holders if anyone is interested (including free shipping to NZ)

edited to add $US3.99 to 4.18 per piece which in NZ is up to $5.60 with free shipping!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 10:35AM by Irene Field.
July 24, 2017 03:36AM
Wow thanks guys - a perfect solution to my bags - I just need to get out of the habit of tying the knot ;-)

Im also glad the price is a lot more reasonable than IKEA.

Just on the useful things note, I stumbled across this company online - they do lovely looking useful and quality products.
They arent cheap but look great and I LOVE the clothes hanger and roller paper.
They are based in Mount Maunganui.

[www.georgeandwilly.com]

Vanessa
July 24, 2017 04:32AM
Sorry, Vanessa, but with those prices I certainly won't be shopping there! I'm not a cheapskate, but I can't see any reason to throw my money away when all those items can be purchased elsewhere at a more reasonable cost.
July 26, 2017 12:33PM
Yeah they werent cheap but Im assuming were beautiful craftmanship, made in NZ with quality products. I havent looked elsewhere, just thought their products looked nice.
Vanessa
DK
July 30, 2017 05:55AM
You can make a cheap and cheerful plastic bag dispenser using an old tissue box. Some of them are already nicely patterned, or you can paint it or glue wrapping paper on it to decorate it. You might have to get a bit creative if you want to attach it to a wall but Blu Tack or some drawing pins might work. or you can just store it in a drawer. It might not be very durable, but it's a good way to recycle an old tissue box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2017 05:56AM by DK.
July 31, 2017 02:02AM
I use a holder similar to what Jenna has - purchased from a fundraiser. My paper towels are in a drawer alongside foil, paper etc

I am trying to reduce my use of plastic bags and plastic flim. I am succeeding in reducing but I have not managed to eliminate yet.
J1
July 31, 2017 07:13AM
Sometimes though I think who does this impact on the most and who's doing all the work reducing, recycling, avoiding plastic, etc? Females. And in the meantime men just carry on manufacturing weapons, the next tallest building in the world and a shipload of $2 shop junk so they can be a billionaire.
July 31, 2017 01:22PM
I must admit Im a bit of a shocker, I try to have my shopping bags in the car BUT are often caught off guard, hence accumulating plastic bags. Im good at reusing them though but sadly they do end up in the rubbish bin at some stage.
I agree, females seem to be much better at recycling ect and more aware.
Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2017 01:23PM by Vanessa45.
July 31, 2017 10:46PM
Fruit & vegetables! They are my one big problem with shopping. How do you avoid plastic bags when you want 10 brussels sprouts or a small bunch of grapes? I never put bananas, cauliflower, broccoli, etc in a bag, they are big enough to sit in the trolly unwrapped, but for onions, potatoes, carrots, etc, a bag is needed. Why can't we have decent sized paper bags. If it can be done to keep mushrooms fresh, which can't it be done for all vegetables? Let's lead a revolt and use the mushroom bags wherever we can instead of plastic. I might even visit the bakery dept before the vege dept, even though they're at opposite ends of the supermarket, and use their larger brown bags for potatoes, carrots,. parsnips etc. I wonder what management would do about it, if anything?
J1
July 31, 2017 11:30PM
There are (for sale) reusable bags for fruit and vegetables (or you can make your own out of old net curtain material, etc):

[rethinknz.com] (most are out of stock until September - I guess demand exceeded their expectations).

[www.pouchproducts.co.nz]

[www.thegreencollective.co.nz]

News item about it: [www.stuff.co.nz]

Of course, the bags weigh more than the thin plastic free versions. Some bags have a scheme with participating retailers where the weight of the bag is automatically deducted at the checkout counter but otherwise you do just have to wear the cost of the bag weight.
August 01, 2017 12:07AM
What ooks me out about not using a bag of any sort for fruit/veg is my perceived filthiness of the trolleys and conveyor belts. All those leaking bags of chicken, shellfish and meat. I cannot bring myself to put naked vegetables on those surfaces, even if I know I'm going to wash them before cooking or eating.
August 01, 2017 02:26AM
I think ive posted about this lady before. ZERO waste and packaging

[www.mindbodygreen.com]

Its pretty inspiring although you need to spend a lot of time setting up the systems.
Vanessa
August 01, 2017 11:57AM
Jenna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What ooks me out about not using a bag of any sort
> for fruit/veg is my perceived filthiness of the
> trolleys and conveyor belts. All those leaking
> bags of chicken, shellfish and meat. I cannot
> bring myself to put naked vegetables on those
> surfaces, even if I know I'm going to wash them
> before cooking or eating.

Jenna, I totally agree.
August 01, 2017 10:57PM
I have some small and medium sized mesh bags that are great for produce.

I should be more organised for dried fruits/nuts etc as I do not use the bags for these.
August 31, 2017 12:47PM
I re-use ziplock bags for dried fruit, nuts etc at bulk-buy supermarket bins. I write the number on my bag, and nobody at the checkout comments - but I'm sure I could write it on a piece of paper and this would be equally acceptable. Having just seen several documentaries at the NZ Film Festival which deal with the horrors of plastic pollution I'm looking for new ways to reduce my 'footprint'. Also, I know of more people these days who use the mushroom paper bags in the supermarket for other vegetables. Sooner or later the supermarkets will start to take notice, and hopefully take action!
September 04, 2017 12:48PM
Ive actually done that as totally prefer the mushroom bags - Im glad others do that too and yes, supermarkets, please take notice and provide more paper bags. i wonder if they are more expensive?
Dont the US supermarkets or markets use paper? or at least they do in the movies.

LOL I just googled the above, theres lots of forums around the paper and plastic debate in the US, it seems they are moving/have moved to plastic as its heaps cheaper but still offer customers a choice.
Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 12:54PM by Vanessa45.
October 31, 2017 02:26PM
I use plastic food containers that I ordered at https://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/catering-containers/ to store food in the fridge. I think it's very convy, I can take homemade food to work in them. Also I use zip-bags to store berries and fruits in the freezer. One of my fav recipes is cherry pie with fresh or frozen cherries, vanilla, and almond extract. It's so delicious! I bake it all year round
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.