Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Condensation on windows

Posted by IngridO 
Condensation on windows
August 05, 2017 12:11PM
The old windows in the bedrooms collect a huge amount of water overnight which trickles down to the carpet and has now started to stain the carpet. I have resorted to lining the windows with towels to soak up the water.

Does anyone have any tips/ tricks / solutions to water pooling on window ledges in winter?
Re: Condensation on windows
August 05, 2017 01:45PM
You can't really do much about it that isn't a major renovation (hrv system, double glazing etc). Until then perhaps put a dehumidifier in that room.
August 05, 2017 02:02PM
Our house gets condensation on the windows too, n not to the point that it is running down before morning though. I use a Karcher window vacuum to suck it all up. It isn't a solution, but it only takes about 7 min to do the whole house and helps reduce mould on the joinery and damage to the sills. More effective and much less mess than wiping up with a towel which is what I used to do.
August 05, 2017 04:10PM
We have two rooms affected like this. I find running a heater in the room all the time, and opening the windows whenever I can helps. But I still have to do the rounds every day and wipe it all up with a sponge. Once the sills have dried out this summer I intend to use a cheap "double glazing" kit on each window but this is only possible, as I understand it ,if the window sash is wooden rather than aluminium.
J1
August 05, 2017 09:57PM
Window vacuum! Oh my goodness! Jenna, thanks so much for mentioning that, I didn't even know they existed. I see there's one called a Scoopy as well. I know someone with crying windows you might greatly appreciate this information. Thanks!
August 06, 2017 12:45AM
If your friend is contemplating buying a Karcher - I would suggest the WV2 Plus model. It's about $25 more than the original, but I believe the blade is wider, battery lasts longer and something else that at the time I thought was important. I see there is now a WV5 Premium model with a charging cradle (rather than a cord) and accessories. Looks good, but $176 is quite a lot considering the original is $99 and WV2 is $123.

I just read the consumer review of the Karcher and it does not do it justice, IMO. The member reviews also seem to agree that consumer might have not quite correctly gauged its usefulness. I'm not a gadget person, but I'm completely sold on this. Makes a huge difference to our windows. I have aluminium joinery and can get to the bottom of the window with vertical strokes on most of our windows, but those I can't I just do a quick horizontal swipe, no big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 12:47AM by Jenna.
J1
August 06, 2017 02:46AM
I agree Jenna. I thought the WV2 Plus looked the best. And the Comsumer article sort of goes for the Scoopy but the water just drains into the handle so you're limited to keeping the Scoopy upright or the water will tip out again. The Karcher with it's enclosed water holder would have much better flexible use.
August 07, 2017 12:22AM
Well, you've convinced me. There's been a lot of positive talk on our local FaceBook ChitChat page about this Karcher WV2 so I've looked online and found that Heathcotes in Tristram St, Hamilton currently have them in stock at $119. It just so happens I have to go to Hamilton tomorrow to pick up my new specs from Specsavers, so I've got Heathecotes to put my name on one. Hamilton, Here I Come!

For any Hamilton or nearby residents, there's also a Heathcotes at The Base in Te Rapa, but I'm staying away from there. Last time I went, I ended up buying a lovely big, soft electric recliner in their half price sale. You now have to drag me out of my chair and when I do get out of it, the cat jumps straight in. That's recommendation enough for anyone!
J1
August 07, 2017 04:22AM
Bunnings stores have the Karcher WV2 for the same price ($119) and Mitre 10 stores for $1 dearer ($120).
August 08, 2017 07:49AM
Is there someone with a science background who can explain why windows sometimes have condensation in the mornings, and sometimes don't have any at all? It doesn't seem always to be related to outside (or inside) temperatures, though I don't get condensation on windows in the summer...
J1
August 08, 2017 08:54AM
I'm no scientist but I'm hoping this page helps your understanding [www.wanz.co.nz]
August 09, 2017 10:01AM
Thanks for this link - very informative, and a bit scary, especially what it says about the less obvious condensation - the dampness that is absorbed into furniture, carpets, curtains etc.
August 09, 2017 10:56PM
Jenna, a million thank you's for prompting me to buy the Karchwer WV2. I bought it on Wednesday but was struggling with the pictorial instructions (no written instructions). I went online and found a very helpful YouTube video (3m42s), link below, that I was able to stop and start at tricky bits and actually see what fits where and how. I used just the vacuum this morning and WOW! I'm totally impressed. I'll give the window-cleaning attachment a try later today and see if I'm doubly impressed.

[tinyurl.com]
August 10, 2017 12:17AM
You've convinced me too - I am sick of damp towels every morning from mopping condensation off windows! I have some points in Flybuys and ordered the WV2 through that. Thanks Jenna!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 12:18AM by Dawn.
August 10, 2017 01:40AM
I tried my friend's karcher a while back and wasn't impressed, I'm not sure which model it was though. I can deal with the windows, but what is really bugging me is that when I wake up in the morning the top of our duvet is damp. We have a well insulated house (1951 but renovated in the last five years), and we also have a DVS system, we tend only to run it during the day as we don't have any heating in that system and so it makes for cold draughts if it's run overnight. The outlet for that system is beside our bedroom door but due to animals we keep our door closed at night (and as I do shifts it's often closed during the day too, while I sleep). I'm thinking I might need to buy a dehumidifier for our bedroom.
August 10, 2017 04:41AM
I have an HRV system and it's killed off window condensation completely, but my mother has terrible problems with her aluminium windows and she has just bought a Scoopy. She says it's good.
August 10, 2017 11:47AM
Wow a window vac, what a brilliant idea. It would be perfect in my small place. The condensation is only really on one side, the side of the house.
Thanks for the tip.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.