Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Money for Vietnam & Cambodia

Posted by noeleendickson 
Money for Vietnam & Cambodia
August 27, 2017 06:10AM
This is our first trip here. Staying 3 weeks in total in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi & Hoi An) 1 week on Mekong River Cruise and 1 week in Sein Reap.

My problem is how much money to take and what. Friend told me to take $100 in US $1 notes and $100 in US $5 notes then store my cash passport card with US dollars. However my travel agent has said dont worry about converting into US dollars just load the cash passport with NZ dollars. Then Ive been told take enough US dollars for Sein Reap as not many money machines.

Crikey, Am wondering Helen what you do. Also are the evening meals very expensive!!.
Bev
Re: Money for Vietnam & Cambodia
August 27, 2017 07:19AM
We used dong in Vietnam. we carried USD as we had some from previous trips to the US but we did not use them. We pretty much paid for everything apart from our accomodation in cash. Things are very cheap in Vietnam and we didn't go through as much money as we had expected. Ho Chi Minh and Hoi An had plenty of ATM's just check your eftpos card can be used at overseas ATM's, most can. I wouldn't preload USD as you then pay a conversion rate again to convert to dong. Meals are very cheap in Vietnam, we were amazing at how cheap they were especially the street food. Have fun, Vietnam is a wonderful place to visit and the food is fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2017 07:30AM by Bev.
Re: Money for Vietnam & Cambodia
August 28, 2017 09:16PM
Hi there Noeleen,
I don't bother with US dollars at all. Sometimes I may carry a few on me but only if we happen to have them at home and I have never really used them.
I have never had a problem with finding a money machine and to be honest your cash seems to go a long way as things are very reasonably priced.
Usually I get cash out of the eft pos machine at the airport on arrival and then as I need it.
Food is cheap compared to here, I know we would be able to eat well in the evening for less than $20.
Alcohol especially wine may be not so different in price to here.

Have a wonderful trip!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.