Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Visibility being compromised by modern car designers

Posted by J1 
J1
Visibility being compromised by modern car designers
October 28, 2017 03:53AM
The windows on modern cars keep getting smaller and tinted darker, particularly the rear window and back passenger windows. They may argue we have a backing camera screen to watch instead, or that car occupants want privacy, but good visibility for safe driving is paramount. There are many cars on the current market I would refuse to buy because I'm not prepared to accept the poor visibility caused by their windows design.
Re: Visibility being compromised by modern car designers
October 30, 2017 12:40AM
There is an NZ standard for the allowable degree of tint in car windscreens so any vehicle on NZ roads must be within the spec, assuming that it has a Warrant of Fitness.

Remember also that just because you can't see into a vehicle, doesn't mean that the driver's visibility is compromised - think sunglasses which reduce glare and enhance the wearer's visibility but anyone looking at the wearer can't see their eyes.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
DK
November 02, 2017 10:23PM
My issue with modern cars is the really broad pillars on each side of the windscreen. I got a new (secondhand) car a couple of years ago and find that approaching cars are often obscured by the pillars and I have to rock back and forth in my seat to make sure I can see properly.
November 03, 2017 09:51PM
I get the same when driving over our hilly terrain on the Coromandel Peninsula. On any sharp curve to the right, my view of oncoming traffic is blocked by the post between the windscreen and driver's side-window. It can make for some very unnerving moments when a vehicle coming the opposit way suddenly looms into view in my side-window, not having been able to see it through the windscreen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 09:53PM by Lorna.
J1
November 10, 2017 05:14AM
"Remember also that just because you can't see into a vehicle, doesn't mean that the driver's visibility is compromised - think sunglasses which reduce glare and enhance the wearer's visibility but anyone looking at the wearer can't see their eyes.
Regards,
Barbara Anne"

Yes, but we don't wear sunglasses in winter, nor when driving at night, yet we cannot remove the tinted windows for these times.
November 11, 2017 12:04AM
The only time I don't wear sunglasses is on a dull day when there is virtually no sun due to rain or near 100% cloud coverage. I wear them in winter because our NZ light is vey harsh, due to the hole in the ozone layer. Further, I believe the tinting on most car windows is a lot less than that of sunglasses.
November 11, 2017 05:44AM
My car has what it calls "privacy glass". It is tinted, but the glass itself is tinted rather than the stick on products of days gone by. It is relatively dark looking in, but looking out you can hardly tell any difference. The front windows are lighter than the back windows as is required by law.

I think even after market applied tinting is similar these days, it is not nearly as dark looking out as it appears from the outside, therefore not impairing vision at all.

I agree on the tiny, high rear windows though. My mother's previous car was like that and I hated reversing it.. just couldn't see anything.
November 16, 2017 08:33AM
Something else I have noticed is how many dark cars are on the roads. Slate or black or dark blue seem to be popular. You dont seem to see many bright coloured cars unless they are a company car promoting something. Dark cars simply don't stand out in bad weather conditions or even in dim light.
February 21, 2018 03:56PM
Some car manufacturers are creating models for no other reason other than to create a fashion statement for people similar to a company in the fashion industry creating a new handbag.
February 23, 2018 11:50AM
I feel like most modern cars are simply overdesigned. There's too much going on, they try to hard to make them look angry and pissed off. Some of it seems like a lack of taste; Lexus has the worst grilles I've ever seen for example. That's why I like classis cars like Skoda or Toyota. I have Toyota Corolla 2016.I'm completely satisfied with its design. Well I noticed some scratches on the hood but I know a few guys from Evoke Bodyworks car service, they will repair it. But taste is subjective obviously. Some people are better at handling change than others.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.