Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

sous vide cooking

sous vide cooking
November 02, 2017 05:32AM
Haven't been here for a while. Anyone doing sous vide cooking?

And when I mean a while, I mean like a couple of years. I am Greg from Montana.
Re: sous vide cooking
November 02, 2017 05:49AM
Welcome back, Greg. I don't do sous vide cooking but I am sure some of our foodlovers members do.
November 02, 2017 03:47PM
Hi again, Greg. It's good to 'see' you posting again. No, I don't do any sous vide cooking. I had a bad experience in one of our local restaurants: I ordered sous vide chicken and it seemed to me to have a very unpleasant texture which I can only describe as 'slimy', and it was pink when I cut it. I'm sure it wasn't completely cooked through, as chicken should be. The waitress returned it to the kitchen and allowed me to re-order something else. She also tried to reassure me the chef said it was completely cooked, that's the way it should look: soft and pink. It has turned me off sous vide completely.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 03:51PM by Lorna.
November 02, 2017 11:34PM
Hi Greg, I'm a Kwozzi - an expat living in Adelaide. And yes I have done some sous vide cooking and have loved the results.
I did a makeshift set up the first time with a simmer mat, a zip type bag, and a thermometer attached to the pot handle with a plastic clothes peg and a rubber band! It actually worked quite well, but now a friend has bought a machine and we share it. I have only done small cuts of meat like chicken thighs and breast, and steak.Love the texture and flavour.
Have you done any large roast-sized meats? The lengthy time in the machine scares me a bit.
November 03, 2017 10:21AM
Lorna, most recipes call for ending the cooking with a quick grilling. I think that would have made the chicken more palatable.

Heather, I have done racks of ribs, and the length of time was a put off, but they were good.
November 04, 2017 11:05PM
Hi Greg
No I dont do it but when I was addicted to Masterchef I was motivated to give it ago.

I think from memory, they used to wrap things in plastic wrap and seal tightly and leave in the tepid water for hours.

Do you do it? What do you cook?

Vanessa (Auckland)
November 09, 2017 10:28PM
Vanessa,
I have just started it. Yes, the meats I use are put in vaccuum sealed bags, and put into a hot water bath for a period of time. I think I make better ribs just slow cooking wrapped in foil on the grill. Pork chops have been very good. It is just something new to play with, and I have been happy with the results. I did buy a sous vide machine thru Amazon, and it seems to be doing it's thing quite well. A lot of chefs that use our farm market are playing with it. It has been a while since I have been on here, so this is our site in Montana. [www.facebook.com] , Helen knows us well, and we love what she is doing.
December 02, 2017 08:10PM
I just recently did a Moose roast and a pork roast. They both came out incredible, or so we thought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.