Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Getting rid of fish smells

Posted by Margaret 
Getting rid of fish smells
February 28, 2018 04:55PM
Please! I have tried everything I can think of, but it takes ages for the smell to go after I have been cooking fish.

I would be very grateful for foolproof solutions.

tia
Re: Getting rid of fish smells
February 28, 2018 11:17PM
Hi Tia, I almost always light a fragrant candle when I am cooking fish.
I also make sure that the wrappings are put in the outside bin, the dishwasher turned on as soon as the plates go into it and all surfaces wiped down.
I like fish but I loathe that smell.
March 01, 2018 01:10AM
If we have fishy (or any type of smelly food) scraps, I put them in a plastic bag in the freezer. They then go in the rubbish bag frozen.
March 01, 2018 01:54AM
Do you have a range hood that runs while you're cooking? If so, wash the filters after cooking smelly foods - I find the odors stick around in those more than anything else.
March 01, 2018 03:56PM
And if you've got a fishy smell on your hands after handling fish, stainless steel or chrome is great for removing it. If you have chrome taps, just run your hands under the cold tap, rub your hands over the chrome taps and the smell is gone. Pour a cup of cold water over the taps afterwards, just to be sure. It removes all sorts of smells, like garlic and onions.

There is a stainless steel 'soap' bar you can buy, but why do that when you have the necessary remedy right at your fingertips!
March 01, 2018 05:54PM
I have the stainless steel soap bar Lorna, and George has one in his fishing bag as well, as I find it easier to rub between fingers
March 06, 2018 02:56AM
It's worth thinking about how you cook the fish. Frying in an uncovered pan is what makes smells linger here, so I choose other methods - eg 'poaching' in a vegetable mix, using a covered pan, baking in the oven with a topping, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.