Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Books for 8 year old boys

Posted by IngridO 
Books for 8 year old boys
March 12, 2018 04:48AM
I'm looking for suggestions for books for an 8-9year old boy.
We have read the Treehouse Books/ Roald Dahl/ Geronimo Stilton and David Walliams books.

I tried Harry Potter but I think he might be still a year away from reading those.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Re: Books for 8 year old boys
March 12, 2018 06:21AM
My younger son loved Zac Power books. There are different levels, so be sure to get the right ones. I think the junior (for beginning readers) series is "Blast Off".

If he's into scary stuff, then the Goosebumps series.

Boy vs Beast

Are you looking for books to read to him or for him to read himself?
March 12, 2018 05:01PM
Ingrid, just a suggestion. Check out the Anh Do book series. One of my grandsons is older but he loves the Ahn Do series.
They are readily available and although I bought some from The Book Depository you could have a browse in your local book store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 04:51AM by Marnie.
March 16, 2018 10:05PM
Jenna: I'm looking for books he can read himself. He is quite a good reader.
March 17, 2018 01:39AM
In my experience there is a lack of books suitable for advanced boy readers in that age range. My younger son (now 12) had and still has trouble finding engaging books with sufficient complexity that aren't of inappropriate subject matter (because they're aimed at young teens rather than then 10ish age bracket). There is a huge amount geared toward scary and monsters, and that is something he has never enjoyed. But the rest are all too short or the stories too basic. Zac Power and assorted other books that I can't remember did him well through about 9.5, then he got just so annoyed with the lack of choice that he started on the Harry Potters. He re-reads them every year and gets more and more out of them each time. At 10 he read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. After books like those, it's hard to find something else.

They may be a little beyond still, but you could look at the Percy Jackson series. My son wasn't a fan, but my friend's bookworm 9yo has been loving them. Other series my son read at around 10 were Warrior Cats and Redwall -- I'm not sure if they'd be right for 8-9, but may well be depending on the child.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 01:40AM by Jenna.
March 17, 2018 04:25AM
I was just talking with my son about this, and he reminded me about The Hardy Boys. The series has been revived from the original books that I read when I was young, and like Zac Power, I think have different levels pitched at different reading abilities. I just found an old one in his room that would probably be good for that age. It was one of the "Undercover Brothers" series.

[en.wikipedia.org]
March 20, 2018 04:48AM
Famous Five and the secret seven - remember those?
Vanessa
March 20, 2018 05:09PM
I am out of circulation at the moment but as a teacher and the mother of a son, now grown up, somewhere I have a file of boys books. I made the list especially for boys in my class who were really good readers. It may take a couple of months but I will get it to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.