Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Getting rid of fish smells

Posted by Margaret 
Getting rid of fish smells
May 07, 2019 11:27PM
I love fish, but hate the smell that lingers after cooking.

Can anyone please tell me a tried and tested way of removing the smell.
Re: Getting rid of fish smells
May 07, 2019 11:32PM
A small bowl of white vinegar in the kitchen, somewhere near your stovetop will do the trick. The vinegar absorbs the smell.
May 09, 2019 06:23AM
I refuse to cook fish in my kitchen after making a fish dish and the fish odour lingered in my kitchen, dining room and lounge for at least three weeks. My daughter visited after two weeks and said - mum did you have fish last night for dinner!!!!!!!!!!! My poor husband, when he wants fish for dinner now cooks it on the barbecue outside.
May 09, 2019 08:24AM
Would a canister which puffs out air freshener at intervals work I wonder? Leave it working for a few days until the rooms concerned are back to normal - although it's not something I've tried. We have a kitchen/dining room so I shut off the internal doors from that room and open external doors/windows whilst cooking the fish. Easier said than done sometimes, as there's only two of us, and very different with children in the house wanting to come in and out of the room while you are cooking!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 09, 2019 09:19AM
I have the range hood going full throttle and also burn a ‘chef’s’ candle that I put on the bench. It supposedly helps mask kitchen smells and it seems to help. I light it only when frying fish.
May 10, 2019 12:46AM
I also burn a candle. It helps with other odours as well.
May 16, 2019 02:13AM
I have a candle that is marketed as removing cooking odours.
It seems to work well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.