Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bamboo Steamer.

Posted by marylew 
Bamboo Steamer.
June 08, 2019 02:52AM
I want to buy a bamboo steamer as a birthday present for my daughter who has talked about buying one but I notice she still doesn't have one.I don't know anything about them and are wondering if any of you own one could you please recommend one for me? Thanks.
Re: Bamboo Steamer.
June 08, 2019 04:55AM
Do you have a Chinese food market handy? That is where you will find the best range of bamboo steamers, and they will be very cheap. The size depends on what she wants to cook in them, and I would go for a big one that she can sit over a wok of water. If she wants to make individual dim sum servings then she will need small steamers.
June 08, 2019 11:56PM
Thank you TPANDAV.We don't have a Chinese food market in this area and she talked about Bao buns and dumplings I think.We are amateurs in the kitchen but lately she has been trying and enjoying Marion Grasby recipes.I bought her a wok a few years ago but it is a Briscoes one and she does use it often.Sorry by that I mean it is not a genuine item.When I look on line at steamers they seem to be 20cm her wok is 30cm.I am now thinking perhaps I can buy pot that the steamer I buy fits or another wok that fits a steamer.I don't really know what size pots she has but she doesn't have many.I have a few more weeks to work this out but I hope she doesn't buy herself one in the mean time.
DK
June 09, 2019 12:55AM
Marylew, that steamer size sounds perfect. You can use any size steamer on a wok, as long as it's smaller than the wok. It sits on a rack in the wok. You can buy a rack (her Briscoes one might have come with it) or make one of four chopsticks. A bamboo steamer that is bigger than the wok/pot gets the direct heat from the element/gas and can catch fire and burn (I've seen it happen).

Here's a link to Serious Eats' info about steaming in a wok: [www.seriouseats.com]
June 09, 2019 01:07AM
Thank you DK now I understand how it works.Much appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.