Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Netflix grumble

Posted by Ali W 
Netflix grumble
June 18, 2019 10:30PM
We get a regular email from Netflix with suggestions we might enjoy. Obviously these are based on our viewing habits. However, most of the time these suggestions are unavailable here. Perhaps the email is generated in the USA but one would think it would be tailored to NZ.

I wonder why our selections are so limited - we will often hear of a good film etc but seldom find it. Of course there are hundreds on Netflix but often the genres are not to our taste.

The only other option might be a VPN which allows access to the BBC etc.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Re: Netflix grumble
June 19, 2019 01:03AM
I haven't noticed that with Netflix, but mostly the suggestions are so unappealing that I don't follow them up.

I tried hard to get access to BBC using a VPN but couldn't do it. Apparently the BBC has very sophisticated ways of blocking VPN access. It probably is possible but I wasn't prepared to use illegal methods.
June 19, 2019 01:05AM
I use Getflix as a VPN service for streaming. It's fantastic, US Netflix, hulu, BBC etc etc. Its not without technical issues at times, but generally works very well.
June 19, 2019 01:08AM
Another option is Amazon prime video. Quite a different selection to Netflix, and a huge catalog of shows you can rent or buy as well. I find Netflix is 90% garbage, which can be frustrating to sift through.
June 19, 2019 02:00AM
Thanks Jenna, I'll brace myself give Getflix a try. I did subscribe to Amazon Prime a while ago but discovered that it was incompatible with something I use - Chromecast or Apple, I can't remember. Anyway, I then had to cancel my subscription, which took a bit of doing.

I find all this very trying, but I would love to have access to BBC.
June 19, 2019 03:40AM
Great suggestions. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.