Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Spammers??

Posted by Lorna 
Spammers??
July 20, 2019 01:09AM
OK, Members, we have two people posting in the Foodie Chat pages, sometimes dragging up posts from many months ago to post a recipe link and picture. The recipe link is genuine, to a blog with recipes. I've checked each time. But the poster is making no genuine attempt to interact with other FL members. Do these posts bother you or are you OK with them?
Re: Spammers??
July 20, 2019 01:38AM
I find them irritating, Lorna, but perhaps I've become an intolerant curmudgeon!
July 20, 2019 01:50AM
I agree with Stephanie. It’s the interaction bny foodlover’s members that makes this site so enjoyable and also valuable.
July 20, 2019 02:09AM
Thank you Stephanie 39 and Chris. I'm the same, I find them irritating but I'll wait till I've got a few more responses from members to get some sort of concensus.
July 20, 2019 02:31AM
Me too. I always think “Oh no....they're back”
July 20, 2019 03:24AM
Ali W Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Me too. I always think “Oh no....they're
> back”

I think that too Ali!
J1
July 20, 2019 05:29AM
I always think of them as spam and they're annoying. Always so "empty" and fake in what they say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2019 05:29AM by J1.
July 20, 2019 08:07AM
I agree too with the others Lorna - when I see that the date from earlier posts (before their one smiling smiley ) is ages ago I scroll on by. I dont want to engage with this poster & continue the attention if you know what I mean.
Frustrating & challenging for the spammer removal lady - I just want to enjoy reading the updates from FL's
July 20, 2019 08:13AM
Agree with others, these posters don't appear to want to engage, just show off their photography which you'd have to say is very good!

However, if I was feeling particularly charitable, I might say that they are trying hard to engage but with limited command of the English language, they are using their photography as a means of communication.

From a forum moderator's perspective, it's a bit of a tricky one as it's not spam in the usual sense of the word.

Your call Lorna...

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited to add that if it is not the poster's own photography then that is a completely different story.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2019 08:27AM by Barbara Anne.
July 20, 2019 11:35PM
So, the overall response has been the same from all of you who have responded so far, so I think we will treat them as spam. I'm not sure if those two posters are the same person, but both are posting about the same blog, so who knows!! If anyone wants to save the blog as a favourite for themselves, it's up to them, but I don't think we need the continual posts on our forum.
July 21, 2019 12:04AM
Lorna I too agree with all of the above.
Regards,
Dawn
July 21, 2019 02:36AM
Spam, and probably not actual people, just trawling for clicks.
July 21, 2019 04:42AM
I've deleted all the posts and also deleted the two posters concerned. Let's hope that's the end of them.
July 21, 2019 04:48AM
Good job, Lorna.
July 21, 2019 05:50AM
Cheers, Lorna. You are doing an excellent job.

They seem to be the people who stand up at meetings, have nothing much to say but say it anyway. Maybe I am being a tad too cynical. I am trying so hard not to be but I suspect it must be in my DNA. eye rolling smiley
July 22, 2019 04:21AM
Thanks Lorna. The "Stephanie" s stand united on this issue.winking smiley
July 22, 2019 01:46PM
I just looked at a new post in the lime thread in the food forum which looks very similar to the ones we commented on here.
July 22, 2019 11:58PM
Thank you Chris. I usually only visit the forums once a day, usually in the morning. I have now deleted that person and the posting they made.
July 23, 2019 12:52AM
Stephanie D winking smiley
July 26, 2019 12:34AM
Looks like we have had new members join who just provide links to recipes and photos.
July 26, 2019 12:40AM
Yes, Chris, that's what's happening. I'm deleting 2or 3 spammers most days at the moment. All their posts point to the same blog called Cooking Club by someone call Allyson something or other. Very annoying but it's easily fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2019 12:43AM by Lorna.
July 26, 2019 05:44AM
You are doi g a great job, Lorna. We all appreciate your efforts.thumbs up
July 26, 2019 10:13PM
YAY! No spammers today. But I won't hold my breath, no doubt they'll be back. Thank you everyone for your support and appreciation.
July 28, 2019 12:57AM
Agree, they are just attempting to get traffic to their pages/blogs.
Most people seem wise to it but its nicer without this type of thing.
Vanessa
August 04, 2019 11:14PM
Well done Lorna. There appears to be a 'glitch' on FL however and that is if I mark forum as read and don't open the spam email - all posts are marked as read and I have no idea of new posts. Just did a posting myself on this forum, and it hasn't been as quiet as I thought it was.
August 05, 2019 12:04AM
The same thing happens to me Irene, every once in a while there have been no red flags for days, I then notice there are recent postings, click on the forum topic and find everything is red flagged.
August 05, 2019 10:41PM
Sorry, Irene & TPANDAV, I have no idea of how to fix that. I only deal with deleting the spammers. However, I myself never use the 'Mark Forum as Read' button because as you read each posting the red 'marker' disappears. Irene, I don't really understand what you are doing. Are you marking the forum as read before you've opened it to see what postings are there?
August 06, 2019 01:26AM
It happens when I look at the 'home page' for the forums. If I see a last post name from someone that is obviously a spammer (ie posted on lots of messages rather than one), I just mark the forum as read, and then it happens. It obviously is some programming glitch I think
August 06, 2019 01:43AM
That's what I do Irene. I don't think it's a OS or browser issue as it happens to me on Mojave + Firefox, and also on iOS 12.3.1 + Safari.
August 06, 2019 10:49PM
I don't understand why you mark the forum as 'read' when you've opened, say, the Non-Food Chat forum and you see strange names in the list of topics. 'Mark the Forum as Read' will remove all the red flags that indicate there are unread messages.

I open each FORUM in turn, and see the list of TOPICS that have red flags denoting there are NEW POSTS in that forum. I open each topic and can see red flags beside each new post. I read the new posts and if there happens to be a spammer in there, I copy the name and then go to the admin area and delete that poster, return to the topic and delete the post, which now says 'anonymous poster' because I've deleted the poster.

Try to not 'Mark Forum As Read' until you've read the new posts in each topic, and if there happens to be a spammer there, just ignore it. It will disappear once I've done my part. I can see no reason for marking a forum as read, especially when you haven't read it!! Or am I missing something?? Am I misunderstanding what you do?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.