Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Spark scammers revenge

Posted by Ali W 
Spark scammers revenge
August 09, 2019 05:29AM
Yesterday the third call of the day from the international spammers got me riled up - I usually just click end after I have checked the number - so I thought I would listen to the recording, press the button for more information and wait for a pleasant gentleman to urge me to act without delay. I waited and waited.....in the meantime

I got my whistle primed with some test peeps, took a couple of deep breaths, started coughing and needed my inhaler, then at last I was ready - but alas, even though my call was important to them, I was still waiting for the all important supervisor so hung up in disgust - my big moment of revenge was gone.

No doubt they'll be back.

But please don’t tell me it is illegal or uncaring to give them a blasting - they annoy me most days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 05:30AM by Ali W.
Re: Spark scammers revenge
August 09, 2019 06:21AM
Ali, I got so fed up with the frequency of the calls and the fact that the spamming calls outnumbered actual people we know ringing us, that I cancelled our landline. It has been a good two years now and friends know to send me a text if they want me to ring. With my cellphone my plan is unlimited for both texts and calling - and for international contacts I have Skype, WhatsApp and Facebook.

It is a lot more peaceful in our house now smiling smiley
August 09, 2019 07:06AM
Yes, I have mentioned it before that we are thinking of getting rid of it - just need to do it!
August 10, 2019 10:13AM
I have my whistle at the ready too!
Recorded messages are a pain
August 11, 2019 08:21AM
Ali W

I live in a Retirement Village and we had a policeman come on Friday and talk to us about scammers. He recommended that you do not blow a whistle, just hang up. If you annoy them they can put you on a list to receive nuisance calls - repeated calls where no one is there.

He also told us something interesting, you are more secure when you do your banking using your mobile phone. This would then avoid you using a computer, not your own, to do your internet banking. I only use my own computer for internet banking but will use my mobile phone in future.

cheers Gran
August 11, 2019 08:48AM
Thanks Gran. That is good information.
August 11, 2019 11:19PM
Ali that did make me laugh.
I have asked them before if they would like me to call their mother and start hassling her the way that you are hassling me!
That generally results in them hanging up but I have been so tempted to have a whistle.
No landline here now so less rubbish calls.
J1
August 12, 2019 12:05AM
I strung one along briefly once, until they thought they'd got a live one, and then asked him how did he live with himself making these scam calls all day - he immediately hung up as I was obviously a waste of his time after all and he needed to get on and make the next call....
August 15, 2019 03:27AM
OH my goodness my blood is boiling,.
I arrived this morning to visit my elderly parents in Hokitika.
The phone just went and I answered it and it was a message re internet connection being compromised - apparently from Spark.
I did push the button to talk to someone, let him ramble for a bit and then did the guilt trip about whether he had a mother and did he love her and how would he feel if someone was doing this to her? I then hung up. The phone went again and ridiculously I picked up to have the same man saying "How dare you hang up on me you you B****h, you are nothing but a S**t etc... etc...
That is appalling!
I need to go and buy a whistle.
Mum said that lunch time and 5pm is a common time for them receiving spam phone calls.
The caller number was an 09 number so I assumed it was from Auckland area.
Grrrr....
August 16, 2019 11:47PM
I did it yesterday, I couldn’t help myself! It was against my better judgement and sound advice.

Call number two of the day was from an Auckland number (call number one coming from Hamilton)

As once again, I listened to the nice lady with an American accent advising me my internet was going to be cut off, my hand crept towards the shiny whistle with the nice blue ribbon. By the time she had instructed me to press one to talk to a very helpful team member, it was in my mouth and I was drawing the biggest breath I had managed for years.

Then the excited young and helpful woman came on the line and I needed to exhale. Oh dear, she got the full force.

I pumped the air and did a little jig (carefully so as not to upset my dicky knee) and I felt great.

Last night before going to bed we unplugged the phone - gotcha you #$&’s if you want to wake us up as revenge.

Still considering cancelling the land line but have some people in our lives who we need to consider and this makes the decision difficult.
August 18, 2019 08:15AM
Ali I love this and particularly after the reaction I got from the horrible man who swore at me.
Go you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.