Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Washing/whitening net curtains

Posted by Sue 
Sue
Washing/whitening net curtains
October 21, 2004 03:43AM
Does anyone have any hints for washing/whitening ranch slider size net curtains which have become a "creamy" colour. Also hints fore drying them to reduce creasing
Re: Washing/whitening net curtains
October 21, 2004 03:56AM
Sue I have just removed some mildew from some backing on some curtains by spraying on 1 part bleach to 5 parts water, and leaving them hang outside for a short while. Then rinse them in clean water and hang to dry. Don`t know if that is any help. With net curtains you can probably rehang them whilst still damp, and as they dry the creases should fall out of them.
October 21, 2004 04:03AM
When we moved into our house in Melbourne, the white (?) nets were grey. The best hint I was given, and have used many times since, is pop all into the washing machine, put in your normal washing liquid/powder, then I just pour vinegar over the curtains and also put it in the final rinse conditioner holder. I have used brown or white vinegars, dependant upon what's in the pantry. Wash as normal, I never ironed and hung back up wet - and hey presto - they look like brand new !!! No creases when you hang them back up straightaway. Works perfectly - do the same with my shower curtains as well - vinegar is a natural wonder smiling smiley
October 21, 2004 05:03AM
Sue just fold the curtains. Approximately 12 inches square, pop them into a tub of warm water that has nappy san. Leave for a couple of hours, then wash them leaving them folded. Rinse and spin them still folded. Hang them back onto the curtain wire or whatever you have them on. I have washed my curtains this way for 40 odd years. There will be the odd fold but that soon comes out. Yes that's right hang them up still damp. That is the secret.
Raewyn G
October 21, 2004 07:59AM
Thanks Irene and Carolyn.
My Mum used to roll her nets in a clean bathtowel before hanging back up. I don't worry, just put them on a slow spin in the washing machine and hang straight up.
Will certainly try the vinegar Irene on the nets and shower curtain. Thanks so much!
Raewynsmiling smiley
October 21, 2004 10:29PM
I swear by the vinegar, and have told several people who say they can't get over how white the nets come up. Happy Vinegaring smiling smiley
October 21, 2004 10:45PM
vinegar is wonderful for cleaning wooden floors too! and clearing those gurgly drains in the kitchen (I add baking soda to the mix and watch the lovely chemical reaction clean my drains!)
October 21, 2004 10:55PM
Lynley re the wooden floors - didn't know that one. My house is an old renovated bungalow with all wooden floors, do I just add a dollop of vinegar to cold or hot water - is there a specific measurement of vinegar??? Would appreciate knowing, and thanks for sharing that one!!
October 21, 2004 11:11PM
I put this website up yonks ago - it really is terrific, especially for ecologically minded people who prefer not to use chemicals around the home:

[frugalliving.about.com]

On the menu on the left click on "The Vinegar Page" - it's uses are unbelievable. I found the site when searching for hints about cleaning silver - I used the paste of vinegar and bicarb and voila - my silverware gleams!!

A very comprehensive and useful site I think smiling smiley

October 22, 2004 12:00AM
grinning smiley
Renee, What a fabuulous site you suggested......Darn........another one to keep in touch with !!
Cheers
Nellie
October 22, 2004 01:13AM
....another suggestion, don't have the water too hot as this only makes more creases. There is or was a product you could buy especially for whitening net curtains.
October 22, 2004 05:34AM
It IS a fascinating site Lynne - and if you type 'recipes' into search there are well over 200 pages of them - no way have I looked at all aspects of the site - like you I have to be choosy about what I put in my 'favourites' but that site is one of them!!

I'm not naturally frugal - just have to be these days sad smiley

October 22, 2004 10:25PM
as someone else has said...napisan is great
October 22, 2004 11:26PM
Irene - I think renee's frugal living site covers it all on the vinegar front really, I just chuck in a couple of cups into a bucket of hot water (it says to use white - but I've used malt before!)

I also use Dr Bronners castile soap (no detergent like most shampoos!) to wash my hair and rinse with apple cider vinegar in warm water - a lovely clean tingley head!
Raewyn G
October 23, 2004 02:38AM
THANKS IRENE, THE VINEGAR WORKED ON OUR SHOWER CURTAIN!!!!!!
Yet to do the nets, they will have to wait until another day, just too much on my list for today.
Our shower curtain was installed with our new wet floor shower and spends alot of its life pushed back behind a wee tiled wall. Its a lead weighted one and has come up sooooooo........ clean!
Will check out the frugle site at another time!
Thanks girls.
Raewyn Ggrinning smiley

October 24, 2004 06:14AM
can't wait to do my shower curtain too. it is navy blue - never again - and shoes the soap build up - have tried everything!
October 24, 2004 06:15AM
oops should have said SHOWS - not shoes?:-(
October 24, 2004 06:36AM
I always use a well known bleech on my net curtains,just pour some in the macvhine water.Never failed.
October 26, 2004 04:20AM
Raewyn glad to hear it worked. I also got a couple of mozzie bites in the weekend, and on went the vinegar and stopped me scratching.
And thanks Lynley re the vinegar for the floors, will give that a go as well. Was told by a friend to use kerosene, but being a smoker (I confess, I know its bad, but I have to have some vice in my life, otherwise I would be perfect!!!) I don't like the idea of kerosene on my floors and me lighting up - I think I may be lighting up my life, and my house, and my hair etc etc etc with the kerosene idea :-o
Raewyn G
October 26, 2004 07:50AM
Oh Irene, go with the song "ComeOn Baby light my fire!" and give the Kero a go! Just ring 111 in an emergency!!!!!
hehehehehe
Raewyn G
A fellow smoker. tut tut tut tut:/
October 26, 2004 08:00AM
hahahahah, Raewyn - I could sing 'You light up my life' with an encore of come on baby light my fire !!
(As I type this I can hear lil sis, Lynette, tut tutting over the smoking :p
Raewyn G
October 26, 2004 08:12AM
As you said Irene, without that vice you would be perfect! Me too!
How would everyone cope with our perfection? Especially if you and I joined the Tut Tut Club. Oh! Dear! Does one required to have a Plum for that Circle?
hehehehehe8)
I know, I know, I know - there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker .... tut tut tut tut :}:}:} .... especially one with kerosened wooden floors!
Raewyn G
October 26, 2004 10:40AM
Well, Irene what do you recon about this then .......tutting from PNG!!!!!
Goodness graceous me! A perfect person in far away country with kero'd floors! Well I never!!!!!
hehehehe
October 26, 2004 09:33PM
As the saying goes, I used to be conceited once, but now I'm perfect. ?:-(?:-(

Lorna
October 26, 2004 10:34PM
yes Raewyn, she may be my lil sis, but boy can she tut tut when she wants to!! But I love her dearly (tut, tut, tut, tut....).
Gosh I damn well just realised I have 2 vices which hinder my perfection.. I smoke, and I am just too damn modest :}
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.