Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

The Weather!

Posted by Lynne Auck 
The Weather!
October 25, 2004 12:15AM
sad smiley
Jen just asked on the foodie forum how we are all coping with a wet long weekend. With difficulty ! I get quite depressed if I can't get outside and scratch in the garden. It has been a VERY long Winter and here I sit OCT 25th still in track pants and a jersey. I wonder how the weather effects other people.....all my life I've hated the wind. I'm 63yrs. It makes me incredibly cantancerous. I just hate the world when it's blowing. My family always raised their eyes to the heavens and said it was all my imagination until one day after hours of scanning Medical journals I found IT!!. It was a paper in the British M. J which was the result on how the weather with it's different elements affected body chemestry. Wind was right up there !! The symptoms were everything I feel. Family have been strangely quiet since I insisted they all read the Scientific proof ! On the flip side, I have a friend who can't wait to go to a west coast beach when it's really blowing hard and walking miles in the sand. Says it invigorates her and blows away all the cobwebs. I WISH !
So, roll on Summer. Sorrry. I understand if anyone finds this boring, but none the less wonder if anyone else has altered moods due to that thing we can't control......the Blinkin Weather.
Re: The Weather!
October 25, 2004 12:24AM
My son's (7yrs old) teacher says that on a windy day, the class becomes a real challenge to teach. She says the wind blows them silly.
So you're obviously not the only one who is affected by wind.

Personally, I don't mind the wind, but rain, thats another story.

Linda.
Bev
October 25, 2004 01:12AM
I do not like the Canterbury NW, especially when there is a thick layer of high cloud with it. One of the things about living in ChCh I guess.:}
October 25, 2004 01:18AM
Should have come to Whitianga for the weekend.
Only the odd shower, and it is lovely and warm.
Sorry folks

Bev M
October 25, 2004 01:31AM
I can cope much better with the rain than the wind!!!! It makes me really cranky!!!
alison
October 25, 2004 01:49AM
Now some of you are going to roll your eyes at this one, but I detest the heat! Went to Singapore and spent as much time as I could in the pool while the others were out and about revelling in it. Intense heat makes me feel like bursting into tears. I know, I'm strange!
October 25, 2004 02:10AM
Alison, shift to the Manawatu, you wont suffer with heat here, but bring your raincoat and gumboots and if you have one a boat. There was a yellow thing in the sky on Friday does anyone what it could be!!!
October 25, 2004 02:31AM
sad smiley
Alison...........Singapore heat I can understand. 5 mins out of the shower and you feel like you never had one ! I just couldn't function....had to be led.
Cheers
Nellie
October 25, 2004 03:03AM
Alison,you and me both. I hate the heat so much so that I have had to turn down an invitation to my nieces wedding on the Gold Coast Aust. I was talking to my sister on Saturday night and she said it was 34deg in Brisbane. The wedding is this coming Sat and with temps like that I know I have done the right thing. Give me 18deg with a light easterly blowing, that's about my limit. Must have that breeze.
Lyn
October 25, 2004 03:56AM
I don't cope with the summer heat very well, but give me a cold frosty fine morning and I come alive! I don't mind wind as long as it doesn't interfere with whatever I am doing at the time, and I enjoy walking in the rain so long as it isn't too heavy. And I don't care how many people think I'm daft............. grinning smiley Lyn.

October 25, 2004 06:27AM
I'm the same Bev, out here in Rolleston the Nor West really rips through...I'd rather have the rain than the wind!!:}
Cheers,
Sandra

Raewyn G
October 25, 2004 08:11AM
As Lesley indicated, it has been exceptionally wet and windy in the Manawatu. We checked our toes yesterday to see if the webs were forming but nah not yet. I don't like the humidity but can tolerate putting my fluffy slippers away and get into jandals or bare feet. Looking forward to having breakfast outside at the weekends, when we get some heat!
One thing is for sure, we are never happy and isn't it great that we can have a grissle!!!!!!
Cheers,
Raewyn8)sad smiley
Bev
October 25, 2004 08:19AM
I love the heat and have no problem with the heat in Asia etc and a NW without the cloud is fine too it but the NW with the thick high clouds seems to knock me, it feels quite oppressive but when I think about it I think I would rather have that than the cold prevailing easterly wind! grinning smiley
October 25, 2004 10:44AM
I can't bear rain - probably comes from being brought up in Hokitika.
I loved the years I spent in Sydney - the climate was fabulous and now living in Auckland I am once again resigned to rain - day after day after day....

Wind can be frustrating but I must admit I love riding in a convertible and also a good walk on a windy beach!
October 25, 2004 11:10AM
Well Lynne I am the same age as you. Although my next birthday is comming in the next few weeks. I really hate the cold and the hot weather. I love getting outside in the garden, but I find the wind is very tiring. I guess that is the age. Today just stayed overcast. Went to visit my sister in Auckland. But at least the weather is warming up. I do hope we have some summer this year. I mean next year.2005.
October 25, 2004 10:09PM
For those of you who hate the heat, avoid Dubai. I was there in July, their summer, and the temp. was 49ยบ. No one walks out in it, everyone gets taxis everywhere, and just as well they're cheap!

I used to find the wind tiring, unless walking on the beach, but this last year since I've been living up on the hill, I've accepted that I have to expect some wind in exchange for the views of the bay and town below. Amazing what a bit of mind over matter can do! But like Bev M said, we've had a reasonable weekend here in Whitianga, starting out with brilliant sunshine on Friday and Saturday, deteriorating to a few showers yesterday and this morning I can't see town below me - we're closed in with very low cloud and rain. Still paradise, though.

Lorna
Kay
October 26, 2004 12:31AM
I love the rain and I love the wind but not together. The weather where i was in Auckland( camp warden at Motu Moana Scout Camp Blockhouse Bay) wasn't to bad on the weekend, a few showers but nothing to make you gead for shelter. The rain seemed to come after dark.
Kay
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.