Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Guy Fawkes

Posted by Raewyn G 
Raewyn G
Guy Fawkes
October 26, 2004 10:46AM
I am dreading the fireworks from Wednesday on, especially for our poor old cat (17yr old), our dog, birds and chookies. Last year I had to bring our Big Black Lab inside until the last of the fireworks had stopped. Poor girl was so frightened. Seems even the advertised prices of the fireworks doesn't put people off. I wish they would just set fire to their 20, 50 or 100 $ bills. It would be less traumatic on the animals and I could go to bed at the normal time!!!! Consequently, I am praying for rain, after dark!
Raewyn sad smiley
CR
Re: Guy Fawkes
October 26, 2004 11:11AM
Oh, yes, I do agree. My dear departed doggie, Toby, was so traumatised by fireworks that he couldn't eat. On the night, I would put him in the car, in the garage, with the radio on (loud). I shall hope for rain, lots of it, hail, and strong wind. It is high time that only public displays be allowed. I think of all the work that Beverly ? put into endeavouring to limit the sale of fireworks, so many years ago.
Kay
October 26, 2004 12:57PM
The poor animals do suffer on Guy Fawkes but you can get a mild sedative for them.
Our big woose goes under the table and won't come out. we have them letting of cracker etc right up until the New Year. Nowwhere is safe for the animals, we have tried all sorts of different remedies. When my parents were around we could take the dog out to their place at Whitford where the fire works weren't so loud, perhaps someone needs to invent earmuffs and blindfold for the animals.
Kay
October 26, 2004 09:27PM
My beautiful Burmese cat, although neutered, staunchly defends his territory from all invading cats AND dogs, but come fireworks season, his eyes grow to the size of saucers, his heartrate doubles and he prefers under the bed to anywhere else. If it was just one night, and like CR says, only public dispays allowed, our animals would not have to suffer the prolonged fear of indiscrimate fireworks.

Lorna
October 26, 2004 10:29PM
I have to disagree, where as yes unfortunately the animals do get a little spooked it is for one night of the year , but I know that our children love it. This year our major fireworks display has been cancelled due to a big lolly firm pulling out a little while ago. I think we have to remember that we are only children once and that as time goes on all the treats of childhood are slowly been taken away. Children these days have not many ways of facing adventure with out us adults stepping in and saying it is too dangerous, we have lost our playgrounds that challenge them, freedom to roam and probably much more. But after saying this we are responsible adults and make sure that they are kept out of harms way.
October 26, 2004 11:07PM
It is officially one night a year but we find that it goes on for nights (often a few weeks) on end. Our dog (newfoundland) has to be sedated and also kept indoors although one year she got so worked up that she pushed her head through the cat door and took the door out with her!

I have small children and think fireworks are fabulous but I would much rather pay an entry to an organised demonstration where the fireworks are spectacular and knowing that there stringent safety measures in place.
We generally go out to Clevedon as they have a wonderful evening to which you take a picnic, set up your rugs, buy coffee, strawberries & cream etc...
The kids can take along a guy that they have made and once it is dark there is a huge bonfire and fireworks organised by the local fire brigade.

I certainly don't think that our society should be overly legislated but I would like fireworks to disappear from the shelves of stores.

Am I right in thinking that Australia stopped them being sold years ago?
October 26, 2004 11:54PM
They are also good to photograph!!!!
October 27, 2004 12:54AM
Unfortunately, its a few idiots that spoil it. Our kids now enjoy guy fawkes, but a few years ago, they were terrified.

We'll probably go to one of the displays. Much cheaper than buying loads of fireworks too. And they usually have some really impressive ones and you get caught up in the party atmosphere.

Linda.
October 27, 2004 02:03AM
Yes it was stopped here years ago Helen. So many accidents and so many people lost eyes, and now that we don't have them it all seems so unnecessary.
Lorraine
October 27, 2004 02:30AM
In Norway the only time one can buy fireworks is at New Year, and they are able to buy the large exploding cannons that we only see at the likes of Rugby games etc. We looked after the twins (then 6 mths old) on New Years Eve and they were absolutely terrified. We dont have them at home any more and are content to watch the local idiots and then clean upthe mess in the front of the house the next day. I must admit that when the children were a lot younger we had them along with neighbours and had a picnic tea all together with one dad being responsible for the lighting of them.

Helen CB
October 27, 2004 09:25PM
Karen

If it was only one night of the year, we would all tolerate fireworks, I'm sure. But they went on sale yesterday and last night they started - about 9.30 pm when no small child should be up. These idiots let of loud (and I mean loud) bangers at various intervals, right up to 1am. We will probably have to put up with this for long after Nov. 5th as some people seem to have plenty of money to buy a stash of fireworks that last weeks.

I don't believe in stopping children have fun. I, too, love fireworks, but there is a time and place and the week leading up to, and the weeks following 5th Nov. are hell for animals and small children. I, too, am of the opinion that only public displays should be permitted, with no sales of fireworks to the general public allowed.

Lorna
October 28, 2004 12:44AM
I don't have pets so I don't have that issue with fireworks (poor things! - the animals that is!).

I love fireworks and the kids as they get older will love it too, I'm sure! I would prefer just public displays too - mainly from the safety point of view. Also, the public displays are much more impressive than the few that people set off themselves!

And I'm too Dutch to spend money on something like fireworks :/!!!

Will have to take the kids to the display that you mentioned in Clevedon Helen. Probably next year!

Cheers, WIlm
October 28, 2004 10:23AM
I'm so pleased to find other like minded people when it comes to fireworks and animals. Our lot are always tucked away safely from harm - although it is difficult to block out the noise - but at least they are all inside. I dread the time when fireworks go on sale and have always agreed that they should only be allowed in controlled displays. All I can think about is the poor animals whose owners don't care enough to make sure they are safe, or all the poor strays who don't have any idea as to why the world around them is suddenly exploding. And as for what some children do to some animals with fireworks....well, it's just too sad to think about. Bring on controlled displays on the 5th November only.
Hope.
October 28, 2004 01:38PM

I agree too, that an organised display is the best for everyone - for safety, and especially the animals. Usually there are larger and more expensive type fireworks used that everyone can enjoy for a lot less money than buying your own.
When we lived in the city we had a very old dog of nearly 18 years who used to get terrified with fireworks and thunder. He could tell hours before a storm arrived! I didn't wish to have to use tranquillizers unless absolutely necessary. A chemist told me about Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy. I think it is a homeopathic type remedy, made from certain flowers. It was wonderful, and we used to give him a dose most nights in the fireworks "season", and if we knew a storm or thunder were around. Only occasionally we needed to use a second dose. It just relaxed him, and he would lie down, and being a natural remedy there were no drugged side effects. It is also very useful for people as well as animals in any stressful situation.
We now live in the country and have a young dog who fortunately isn't upset with thunder. We also thankfully aren't bothered with Hallowen here, (I used to keep the door shut in the city too), and can enjoy a few firworks in the distance.
I can remember reading in the past about the animals at the zoo being terrified with fireworks. With an organised display, people can enjoy fireworks without so many animals having to suffer so much.
Heather

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.