Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Uses for pan cote

Posted by Lesley B 
Uses for pan cote
November 13, 2004 08:34AM
Thought I would slip this in here .I use this stuff on my cake tins etc but recently had an infestation of mealy bugs on my ponytail palm .As its inside I didnt want to use anything too toxic and failed with safers etc .Then i read about how plain old cooking oil smothers the wee buggers so out came the pancote and voila the beasties are dead .
It also comes in handy for the odd squeaky door and oiling the salad bowl or other wooden utensils .
Ang
Re: Uses for pan cote
November 13, 2004 07:15PM
Hi Lesley,

do be careful not to over-do the oil on the leaves. Remember what happens to birds in an oil slick. The leaves still need to be able to expire oxygen and take in nitrogen or bye-bye plant. You will have to treat the soil as it will most likely be harbouring those pesky little beasties until they are ready to infest the nearest suitable plant. This may be a good time to re-pot one pot-size on perhaps. Or alternatively thoroughly drench the soil in the pot with an insecticide (shield or orthene) added to the water. Check other plants you may have indoors incase they have immigrated. From time to time don't forget to pop your palm out in a light shower of rain to refresh it. Good luck smiling smiley

P.S. re-check every 3 or so days for a new batch of survivors smiling smiley
November 14, 2004 09:12AM
Dont worry ang I will enlist the men to drag it outside and a gentle hosing will happen .I had used oil before but it was messy,clogged my sprayer and this works just as well .I will follow up with other insecticide .I once used what the garden shop reccommended Orthene and with a house of asthmatics it was terrible .My garden room is in the centre of the house and I wont use anything now that could be upsetting .
Ang
November 14, 2004 07:09PM
Hi Lesley,

Sounds like you have a lovely specimen of a pony tail palm smiling smiley

I used to work at a garden centre. I only recommended orthene as a last resort. It is very toxic and one should wear gloves, masks etc when using this product. Don't get me wrong, it is a great product, it kills everything - not a spray for the indoor situation or your edible plants. You should have been warned of the risk to humans. I would have chosen shield (possibly mixed with conqueror oil) over orthene smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.