Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mobile Phones

Posted by Cath 
Cath
Mobile Phones
November 19, 2004 11:14AM
Hi - have no idea of what mobile phone to buy???

What do others have and would advise to get????

Wanting something prepay and probably under $400.

Thanking you in advance ?:-(
Raewyn G
Re: Mobile Phones
November 19, 2004 09:53PM
In my opinion Mobile Phones are like cars, the moment you take them out of the shop they become outdated!!!!!
I have an Alcatel which would be about 3 years old, is a prepay, does text messages and alot of other things that I haven't learnt about and haven't a clue about. A friend of mine got one just recently in Cash Converters, to replace one she had stolen.
I think it depends what you want your mobile to do for you Cath. Some of them nearly need a uni degree to operate them............maybe its just me.............a real dummy with new technology. Perhaps a little fearful of unfamiliar territory too.
I'm sorry I cant be of more help.
Regards,
Raewyn
November 19, 2004 09:55PM
I've been through a few phones in my time and I still think Nokia makes the easiest to use and the most durable phones.

I'm not a fan of the Samsung I have at the moment, its had so many things wrong with it (its one of those ones you open, and the front screen goes blank quite often and people say I sound like I'm down a well when I'm talking to them) and definately not as user friendly as the Nokia I had before.

Hope thats some help!
Bev
November 19, 2004 10:08PM
My husband and I both have Nokia's which we have had no problems with at all.grinning smiley
Lesley
November 20, 2004 02:54AM
I agree, Nokia is the best, I too have a Samsung but not that happy with it but can't complain as my daughter gave it to me when she went overseas. My husband has a Siemens prepaid which is also ok. Definitley Vodafone if you are an overseas traveller.
November 20, 2004 03:43AM
I also have a Nokia. But its on 025, so I need to replace it soon, as 025 will be gone, and replaced by 027, and as my phone is nealry 5yrs old, not the type you can use on 027.
I can text and its a pre pay, as I don't ring out on it much. I've had no problems with it.

Linda.
November 20, 2004 10:24AM
I too have a nokia. Telecom Prepay. Mates rates plan of 49c a min calling and $10 txting.
and mum has too hyndai cdma flip phones on telecom mates rates and $10 txt.
She has found that too get the best value from phones you've got to keep reviewing plans and deals as they are constantly changing and bringing out something that may suit your purposes for.
November 20, 2004 01:33PM
I have a alcatel which is okay, but I do miss my nokia. It was so user-friendly and if I was to update would definitely go with Nokia again.
Regards
Linda N
Cath
November 21, 2004 02:37AM
Wow - so Nokia it might be then. I have just had a look at the websites of both Telecom and Vodafone, only one problem which model?????

Thanks everyone!
November 28, 2004 11:11AM
Hi Cath
Noel Lemming have a good deal at the moment. Today my daughter bought a Nokia 2280 for $150.00 and with that she also got double movie pass, $40 with of phone cards and $80.00 accessory pack. She is pretty happy with her purchase and it's a great little phone. I use to have a Nokia but now have an Alcatel, but I look forward to the day when I can upgrade back to Nokia, as mentioned previously, very user-friendly.

Happy shopping!
Regards
Linda N
Cath
November 28, 2004 07:44PM
Well I went into NL to get a phone, chose the 3120 I think the model number was only to be told wow thats dear. Its just a phone for another $50 you get get live and a camera. Grrrrr It was $259, which orig was $299 but if you traded your phone you got $40 off. I did not buy.

sad smiley
November 29, 2004 12:10AM
My parents have just bought one in the last week got a Nokia for $150.
If you don't want the bells and whistles then you can shop around and find something affordable that is perfectly fine.
Take a look at prices at Parrallel importers in Auckland as they do some really good deals.
November 29, 2004 01:28AM
As a Telecomunications Engineer who does not work for any Cellular operator in NZ but does understand the systems, select GSM (Vodaphone everytime). The technology is much better designed and available in more countries.

As for phones, well I have to agree, Nokia seem to have the best interface software and have never given me any problems.

Based on your selection but rejection of the 3120, I guess you are looking for a basic handset. The Nokia 1100 will set you back $179 (or less if discounted) and of course you need to pay the $50 for a prepay card, and dont forget that you get $20 call credit with that card.

Regards

Stephen
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.