Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Muscle V Fat

Posted by sharon 
sharon
Muscle V Fat
November 20, 2004 12:09AM
I have been biking 15km a day 6 days a week for the last 4 weeks, BUT I have put weight on, my diet hasn`t changed and I am not overly happy about thissad smiley. I am talking 2 kilo`s.
My hubby said that muscle weighs more than fat so maybe that is why I have put this weight on.
Any thoughts on this.:/
Thanks
Raewyn G
Re: Muscle V Fat
November 20, 2004 12:42AM
Your man is right! They seldom are.......(hahahaha) but this time he is right on the button. Remember you are probably reducing your body fat but increasing your muscle. Don't give up as you are obviously a very healthy, fit person and I take my hat off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Myself and my dog can only manage a short walk (she has a sore hip) and I'm too fat to go any great distance......YET. But a little exercise is better than none at all........I say. I hope 'May' and I get better at this.
Better hop to it!
Regards,
Raewyn
November 20, 2004 03:18AM
do the math ! - all that exercise!!! the real test is how you feel in yourself - more taut, less saggy - tighter, stronger and more upright! also maybe the waistband of your favourite pair of jeans is looser! Don't judge a form of exercise by the scales - it just won't add up!
Bev
November 20, 2004 03:44AM
I never weigh myself, don't even own any scales I just go by how my clothes fit, I think that is the best way to judge.grinning smiley
November 20, 2004 05:11AM
Yep... I have had the same thing happen myself, when I bike more... initially my weight goes up... in the end I have decided that just don't look at the scales, at least not too often.... keep biking, or whatever, and go by the fit of your clothes instead... but don't get downhearted, because I bet you are feeling heaps better in yourself.
Kaye.winking smiley
November 20, 2004 10:51AM
I only have one thing to add: I hope you're not eating more, especially fatty & sugar laden foods, to compensate for all the exercise. It must make you hungry. Make sure you get that fine balance. And well done to embark on an exercise programme. Many of us could take a leaf out of your book!.

Lorna
Ang
November 20, 2004 07:19PM
Hi Sharon,

well done smiling smiley

Now you have developed your muscles, you must maintain them, lest they revert (NO PRESSURE!) smiling smiley Do you have a goal you are training towards, eg the ride around Lake Taupo or something similar? smiling smiley
Raewyn G
November 20, 2004 08:51PM
Ang, maybe Sharon is preparing for the day that someone says to her "ON YER BIKE!!!!!!" That girl will be ready!!! hehehhehe:}
Sorry, just my sense of humour! Weird a?
Raewyn:}

November 20, 2004 10:34PM
I first hussband was a personal trainer in the forces and a exercise freak. We both worked out 6 days a week and although i lost a lot of fat but my weight increased by about 9 kgs!!! so its definately normal Sharon.
Kind Regards
lisa
Sonya
November 21, 2004 01:49AM
So Lisa what happened when you stopped exercising.?? Did the muscle go to fat.?:-(
November 22, 2004 01:51AM
Sonya, muscle cannot turn to fat. If you stop exercising, you can lose muscle mass and if you don't reduce your calorie intake then obviously you will gain fat.

I''m on a serious exercise regime at the moment and at my last weigh-in I had put on a kg but had reduced body fat (my fitness guru uses body calipers to measure the thickness of the fat on my arms, hips and thighs and uses a formula to caculate body fat percentage.)

So as the others say, don't be guided by the scales - measurements are far more accurate.

Out of interest, how long does it take to cycle 15km?
Sharon
November 22, 2004 02:58AM
It takes 40mins but 7.5km is up hill big time, but coming home is more fun.

Ang..I`m not training for anything, I love biking and with 3 wee ones there isn`t much MY time so from 6.00-7.00 in the morning I am on my bike so to speak and I Love it.
I have found that once you get into exercising you can get quite addicted.
Ang
November 22, 2004 04:28AM
Hi Sharon,

I use to cycle but running is my addiction these days. 7.5km up hill - where would that be? Yes it is hard with wee ones to get out. You'll have to teach them to change and fix puntures - lol smiling smiley
Sharon
November 22, 2004 05:19AM
Hi Ang,
Near Mt Cook, in the Mackenzie Country, South Canterbury.
November 22, 2004 08:11AM
Sonya,
i guess I associated the exercise regime with my ex and when we spit up, it went out the window. I work quite long hours and sometimes have one day off a week with the kids. The work i do even though it is in a commercial kitchen is quite physical so I get alot of exercise at work. And i honestly would not have time to go to the gym. I'm not a fan of running and I don't own a bike.
I have lost alot of weight in the past few months just with running round the factory like a lunitic! Funny thing is when i was weight trainging I went up to about 59 kgs. yet full term pregnant with majick i was less than that. So it goes to show muscle is DEFINATELY heavier than fat!
Kind regards
lisa
November 22, 2004 09:23AM
That's great Sharon - 7.5 km uphill would be hard work so I'm not surprised you're gaining muscles! I've got an exercycle and do a fair bit of cycling on that but for outdoor exercise I love my hill walks. It's very hilly where we live and I can take my pick as to whether I turn left or right out of our driveway as either way it'll be workout and a half!

I agree about the addiction, I get twitchy if I miss a day!
Raewyn G
November 22, 2004 10:56AM
Lynette, after reading the thread about the wine, its not the exercise or lack of it that makes you twitchy!!!!! You should have more wine, to stop the twitches!
Raewyn:}:}
November 23, 2004 01:19AM
You may be right Raewyn! Went out for dinner last night and had quite a few wines - there were definitely no twitches this morning!!!:}
Raewyn G
November 23, 2004 07:17AM
Oh! great news .................my theory worked!!!!
Keep it up just incase its withdrawl!!!!:}
November 28, 2004 04:31AM
Try using the measuring tape as well as the scales - or instead of. I am watching my eating, and swimming and doing Pilates, and I am slowly loosing grams, but also loosing inches.
November 28, 2004 11:50AM
Since we are talking about muscle versus fat here so does anyone know if women over 45 who have maybe lost tone and muscle will definitely see an improvement with excercise. Oh I know any exercise will be good for fitness etc but can one see a definite improvement in tone i.e. flabby arms, thighs becoming less so or is there a point of no return.
November 28, 2004 09:28PM
Lesnic, I am 48, and for 12 months have been exercising. I had huge floppy bits (if I stood in the wind outside in the nude, it would look like a parachute billowing off me - the floppy bits that is) - I have found I have definitely lost some flab. Stomach whilst still flabby is smaller and upper arms are more toned. I have been using a trainer once a fortnight at the gym, and he said to me I may never totally lose all the flab, but hopefully with doing weights and building muscle it will fill out the flab that is left. Even my thighs have less cellulite, and whilst still big are definitely more toned. I think the answer is not only dieting, but exercising with a combination of cardio and weights. Hope that is of help. I was a size 16 to 18 and now getting into size 10s or 12s. Pardon the pun, but the proof is in the pudding grinning smiley
Lyn
November 28, 2004 09:28PM
Lesnic, it's never too late so the answer is yes, yes, yes. It doesn't happen overnight unfortunately and in my case a lot of the flab is not just lack of muscle tone. sad smiley Lyn.

November 29, 2004 03:59AM
I agree with Irene & Lyn. I've had a program written by a personal trainer and she has structured my exercise to ensure that it maximises fat burning whilst also muscle toning. It's seven months now and I've lost the flabby bits that used to hang off my upper arms when I lifted my champagne glass to my mouth!:} BUT you've got to work at it! On average, I exercise 8 to 9 hours a week. You could spend half that time exercising but then I wouldn't be able to eat as much!:}:}:}
November 29, 2004 12:27PM
Thank you so much for your replies. They were very helpful and I feel quite optimistic now. I bought some hand weights nearly a year ago and they are still in the box. I'll have to drag them out along with the book Strong Women Stay Healthy. I get puffed just about turning over in bed I am so unfit. I know exercise will be good for fitness but it would be nice to know that you see an improvement re the flabby bits especially at our age. Kind regards
November 29, 2004 09:47PM
Further to your question Lesnic, I receive the Sanitarium email newsletter and here's a link re strength/weight training which I thought was interesting
[www.sanitarium.co.nz]
November 30, 2004 12:55PM
Thanks for the link Irene. That is quite a good site. Kind Regards
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.