Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

A Little Reading Goes a Long Way

Posted by Jennifer 
Jennifer
A Little Reading Goes a Long Way
December 16, 2004 07:59AM
A free internet library is going to be created. Google has signed up with five world-famous libraries - Oxford University's Bodleian, Stanford, Harvard, University of Michigan and the New York Public Library, to digitise over 15 million books (it will take six years and Google is funding the cost). Ancient manuscripts and famous musical scores will be included.
Re: A Little Reading Goes a Long Way
December 16, 2004 10:25AM
You can already get free books to download on the internet, they are quick to download if you have broadband. Type the Gutenberg Project into the google search engine and you will come up with their web page. Enough there to keep you reading for the rest of your days.
Kaye.
December 16, 2004 07:29PM
But is anyone else like me - I love to sit comfortably in my LaZyboy to read, or propped up with lots of pillows in bed just before going to sleep. Somehow, reading a book online is just not.............um........ comfortable.
And my eyes get tired quicker than when reading a book.

Lorna
I like to read in bed and can't wait til I have a computer that is wireless and light which i can take to bed at night online and read and surf.
Dream dream dream.......................
Kind Regards
Lisa
December 17, 2004 06:49AM
I'm with you Lorna - nothing like actual print, not a computer screen!
Curled up in a comfy chair with a packet of chips beside me........oh, so relaxing and oh so good for the waistline........NOT!

Cheers, Wilm
December 17, 2004 10:59AM
I agree with your comments about preferring to read from a book and not the computer. Like Lisa I daydream about oneday having a laptop, that is modern enough to use away from a power point etc etc. Did think about getting a smaller handheld for downloading books onto, but then saw how small the screeen was and decided that for now I'll wait.
Kaye.
Isn't the stuff about preferring books because we are "digital immigrants", where as the kids coming along now don't have the same feelings about computer screens, etc. Was surprised to see a text the other day from a 14 year old boy, which started with "um". It takes me all my time to send a text, let alone use unnecessary words - and although I haven't tried, I expect predictive text wouldn't recognise um. Janet
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.