Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Blood noses

Posted by Linda 
Blood noses
December 16, 2004 09:28PM
Our 7yr old son, has had numerous blood noses in the past month. During the last week, he has had 11.

I know I used to get them, when I was a kid, but outgrew them. Are they hereditary? He also seems to be quite sinusey, which hubby suffers from, especially on these super windy, spring (well its supposed to be ?:-(), days.

Being an active 7yr old boy, its more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Any hints or suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Linda.
Ang
Re: Blood noses
December 17, 2004 06:35AM
Hi Linda,

I use to have nose bleeds as a kid as my son does now from to time. Didn't matter if I was active or just sitting. Would too be interested to see what others have to say smiling smiley
Raewyn G
December 17, 2004 07:34AM
I'm not a medical person, so don't take my words as gospel, please. I suffer from sinusitis and the Dr told me that the nasal passages are full of little blood vessels that can often burst when there is pressure build up. Maybe you need to have you son checked out. I would say that the amount of nose bleeds he has had lately isn't normal. Get it checked this coming week so you can rest assured over the holiday time. My problem is corrected with regular use of a nasal spray.
All the best,
Raewyn
December 17, 2004 09:08AM
Hi. I used to have nose bleeds as a child that would last for days. I often ended up in hospital having the nasal cavity packed with wadding. I had my nose cauterised at age 5 (when the Doctor also broke my nose - another story) but still suffer nose bleeds to this day. My 6 year old daughter also have bleeds, for 1 or 2 hours, and my father has daily nose bleeds. Get him checked, there may be a medical procedure that could help, and in the mean time make sure he carries cotton wool balls in his pockets - fantastic during those moments when it happens in public (or in the car!) Don't tell him to hold his head back, this causes more distress. And if the nose is tender no amount of pinching it is going to stop a bleed, best to just lean over a container of some sort and let it go. A cold cloth on the back of the neck can help with discomfort, and strangly enough a warm hot water bottle on the tummy can sometimes shorten the bleed. If you have any questions please feel fee to email me off list. Rachel.
kim
December 17, 2004 01:25PM
I too have a 7 year old boy that suffers from nose bleeds alot....He has had his nostrils cauterised a couple of times and it really hasn't worked.

I used to suffer with numerous blood noses when I was his age and my doctor prescribed a powder that I use to swallow a spoonfull of, it was excellent.

Kim
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.