Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Whats that plant?

Posted by Toots 
Whats that plant?
September 30, 2006 07:16AM
Please can anybody tell me what the plant is that looks like cherry blossom but shoots straight up out of the ground?My friend had it and she said it was quite invasive.I took some cuttings but to no avail.I don't mind if it is invasive,I like invasive,it keeps the weeds at bay!
Re: Whats that plant?
September 30, 2006 09:46PM
A picture of it would be helpful, but are you talking about Cedrilla or Chinese Toon? It shoots straight up and has a pink feathery top on a bare stalk. I believe if you mow over the roots and shoots it encourages rampant growth, so many people confine it by putting a concrete ring around it.
October 01, 2006 12:44AM
Thanks Lorna but no it's not toon.I have that. It only grows about 12-18 inches tall by the look of it .I will see if I have a clear photo of it although I am not sure if I can send it!
October 01, 2006 01:00AM
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\IOY1JL04\DSCF0494.JPG
Well as you can see this is what I meant about not sure if I can send it!!HELP!!!
October 01, 2006 02:16AM
Sorry folks but I think I may have found what it is,prunus glandulosa or Chinese bush cherry.It says in my information a dainty suckering shrub 1m tall.I haven't seen it as tall as that but maybe with feeding it would be.
October 01, 2006 03:21AM
Prunus glandulosa
dwarf flowering almond,almond cherry
deciduous shrub from China and Japan belongs to to a group of dwarf prunus.----------
it is common practice to cut bushes back almost to ground level as soon as flowering finishes, producing a thicket of strong vertical shoots that bloom very freely the next spring
from`"Botanica"

Prunus glandulosa
Where space is limited, the Chinese cherry bush P glandulosa may be the answer.
A dainty suckering shrub, generally less than 1m tall produces many erect stems, packed from top to bottom with single or double white or pink flowers.
from Stirling Macoboy's "What Flower Is That"

I have a small area of the pink one, does not seem to spead far, have seen the white one.
Hope this is some help
Jean
spelling errors

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 03:23AM by JeanT.
October 01, 2006 06:42AM
Thanks Jean but I had found the info before your posting!My source was the same as yours.Now I just have to find someone who has a bit to spare!I hope it spreads well too.I have a tiny Toon where everybody else has rampant ones.I don't suppose the hens help with their scratching around the plants roots.
October 01, 2006 12:40PM
Hello Toots. I was busy of line looking it up then lunch and when I went back on line posted and saw you had found it. Wonderful books those, I enjoy just looking at them. I have not got a toon nor the hens but Richard is keen to get hens for the orchard, we'll see if he does up the hen house. Hope you find some Prunus,but at least you know what you are wanting by name. What part of the country are you.
Jean
October 01, 2006 09:59PM
For those of us wondering what they look like, they seem to take various forms; here are some pics of them:

[images.google.co.nz]

[images.google.co.nz]

[images.google.co.nz]
October 02, 2006 12:58AM
Hi Jean, I am up in the Hunua hills ,Auckland.Goodluck with the hens.They are wonderful for keeping the insect life at bay in the garden but a bit of a problem with seedlings and bedding plants.I really like to put in good sized shrubs as they stand more of a chance of survival.MIL puts sawn off pop bottles around everything until they are established but I really don't like the 'look!' Thanks for your interest in my quest.Yes Stirling's books are so helpful.I have spent many happy hours browsing through them in a search for names and learning a lot in the meantime.Best wishes Kay

October 02, 2006 12:59AM
Thanks Lorna for the posting,you are clever!I will have to try again sometime!
October 02, 2006 09:42PM
Toots, in this case it was easy. On the website where I found the pictures, I just right clicked the photo then clicked on properties. In the pop-up box I highlighted the URL, copied it then pasted it into my post.

If you have photos in files on your pc that you want to put on these forums, just follow the instructions that Claire has put as a sticky post at the top of the list of threads. Her recommendation of FlikR to be able to upload photos is a good one.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.