Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Harvesting Onions and Garlic

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Harvesting Onions and Garlic
December 14, 2008 04:37AM
I've grown garlic for the first time this year - planted about a week after the shortest day. I was told they should be ready around Christmas time. Is this generally the case? The tops are still green and upright.

I've also grown onions (red) for the first time. Some of them are starting to look as if they are becoming humongous!
I seem to remember when my Dad grew onions that he harvested them after the tops had died off completely...is this right? I know too that they have to be dried off a little, then stored in an airy place.

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Paula
Re: Harvesting Onions and Garlic
December 14, 2008 06:23AM
Plant shortest day, harvest longest day! Or thereabouts. The new garlic that is available now is lovely but goes mouldy if you don't strip the outer skins off.
December 14, 2008 10:25PM
Your Dad was right about the onions. Harvest when the tops have dried off, preferably on a sunny day, and leave the onions lying on the soil for a couple of days to dry off. Then store in a cool dry place. Good luck! Here in the south my onions are still tiny. I'm wondering if I should use them as spring onions instead!
December 14, 2008 10:35PM
Hello Paula

If you want to be able to store your garlic don't harvest until the tops have browned off and fallen over. Dig them and leave them to dry in a warm, airy place. I planted mine in June and the tips of the leaves are just starting to brown.

I plait mine together but you can put them in the net-type onion bags.

I live just out of Ashburton - hello Rachel - and yes it will be awhile for the onions. Do you use the thinnings as spring onions? I guess with the late frost, the hail and this jolly rain the season isn't starting out the best.

Regards Annie

December 15, 2008 10:15PM
Hi Annie. I'm also 'just out' of Ashburton. I will PM you my exact location & we can compare notes!
November 29, 2009 11:47PM
hi im growing about 1000 cloves they have been browning off on the leaves for about a week they are showing signs off blubs in the soil about 15 are laening over they are about knee height .i planted 20th march when should i harvest them
January 22, 2010 10:26AM

My shallots and garlic are gettin ready to dig up ...Once dug up is it better to lie them flat or does it matter if I hang them upside down as my partner has made me a drying rack where I could do either.
My plan is to try and plait them once dry.or at least attempt it!!!
January 25, 2010 11:47PM
Bev, I would say that it's better to hang them to allow the air to circulate. I harvested about 80 bulbs of garlic at the weekend, and have tied them in bunches of 5 over the bar of an old swing seat under the veranda. I'll leave them for 3 weeks to dry. Did that last year then stored in a string bag and they lasted well.
Anonymous User
January 30, 2010 10:29PM
I too have garlic almost ready to harvest - a couple of years ago I grew it also - at that time I came here to FL & Jennifer kindly helped me by providing the link to a website for braiding all of the garlic strings together. I thought I did really well with my attempts, so will have another go when this lot has dried off.

Here is the link to the previous posts, incl the link to bloomingfieldsfarm.com

[www.foodlovers.co.nz]

[www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com]

Cheers,
Lyn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 11:52PM by Lyn S.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.