Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

my worm cafe

Posted by helen 
my worm cafe
September 28, 2009 07:11AM
I have finally bought myself a worm farm - worm cafe to be exact.
I was given a pile of tiger worms that were happily living in horse manure and stable wood shavings etc... I have only had the cafe set up for 2 days but so far the worms are not on the top of their layer eating the chopped up vege scraps that I gave them.
Some have migrated into the liquid collecting tray at the bottom and the rest are hiding.
Do they take a while to start chomping through scraps and getting used to their new home or am I possibly doing something wrong?

thanks, helen

Ps after posting this I did recall a previous thread on worm farms which I had better go and read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:03AM by helen.
Re: my worm cafe
January 22, 2010 10:40AM
Hi
You've gota wait for the food you've put to start breaking down.. I've got 2 farms going and one of the layers I started back in August is only now completely broken down and nearly resembles compost with alot of worms ...
When I drain off the worm wee ..sometimes the a few days before I'm ready I drain it off and I drain it off and then pour it all back over the farm so the worms that have gone to the bottom get a second chance and also I think it makes the worm wee abit stronger..
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.