Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Pear Tree

Posted by marylew 
Pear Tree
July 17, 2017 09:56AM
I am interested in buying a pear tree.I don't know if this has been discussed before as I tried to look back but only found recipes.I have just had a phone call from my local garden centre to inform me that my white nectarine is in.I asked about pear varieties and he has six or more varieties available.He did warn me that some varieties need pollinators.I like Taylor's Gold but if anyone has an idea of a sweet pear for a home orchard I would really appreciate your advice. I don't want a big tree but if I have to have two because of the pollinator I can fit two.Does anyone know if a Worden Seckel needs a pollinator? Thanks.
Re: Pear Tree
July 17, 2017 11:43PM
Here's an intersting article about growing pears in NZ.
[www.stuff.co.nz]
July 18, 2017 12:16AM
Thanks Lorna this is excellent information.Reading it I think I will choose a double grafted tree to save space.
July 20, 2017 01:50AM
I haven't as yet read Lorna's post but I would stay away from thick skinned pears such as Winter Nellis. I ended up taking our prolific fruiter out as the skin was just so thick and leathery that the kids refused to eat them. I am not into bottling so they essentially were there for the birds.
July 20, 2017 07:32AM
Thanks Helen,that helps me when I come to choose my tree as I don't remember buying or tasting Winter Nellis and I have seen the fruit for sale in the supermarket.It could have been a contender but not now thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.