Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Worm farm and Horse Poo

Posted by helen 
Worm farm and Horse Poo
May 07, 2013 05:18AM
I put a sack of very fresh horse poo into my worm farm (well actually it is a hungry bin but the same principle as a worm farm). The worms have turned it into rich looking compost within a few weeks. However, what concerns me is whether there will be weed seeds lurking in there just ready to germinate giving the right environment and if so what do I do? A worm farm doesn't get hot like a compost so the seeds wouldn't be destroyed that way.
Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Re: Worm farm and Horse Poo
May 08, 2013 08:47AM
No idea but after my last effort with horse poo I would be very very scared.
May 11, 2013 10:05AM
Stephanie D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No idea but after my last effort with horse poo I
> would be very very scared.

Sounds like there is a story worth sharing there.... do tell!
May 12, 2013 07:58AM
Sorry Jenna ,no story just very sad gardens all full of every weed imaginable.
May 16, 2013 07:39AM
Oh dear, I was hoping for maybe something involving exploding manure... not a lifetime of weeds to eradicate sad smiley
May 16, 2013 08:06AM
Read this! [horsetalk.co.nz] I was all tuckered out by the time I'd read through this. You'd need to be a dead keen gardener to make horse dung a weed free compost.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 17, 2013 11:47AM
Dawn that has completely put me off my brief love affair with horse poo!
There is a very simple answer to this weed drama imo. After all worms live under the ground, not on the surface, so just bury the poo deep enough so the weed seeds cannot grow. The worms will find it, and the plant roots will find it as well. Dig a hole, put the poo in the bottom, cover with dirt, at least 100mm. Then put the plant directly on top, in the nicely dug soil. Works every time.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.