Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Hanging Pitcher Plant

Posted by Dawn 
Hanging Pitcher Plant
March 09, 2015 04:55AM
I have just been given a Nepenthes, Hanging Pitcher Plant. I am quite fascinated by it. I have hung it in the bathroom where it will get good light, but not direct sunlight, and I'm hoping it will tolerate the coolness of winter OK. I sincerely hope I don't kill it with kindness!

Wondering if anyone has grown one for a length of time and can give me a few pointers please? I know I have to keep it's soil base damp but not sure whether I need to add water into it's pitchers (as well) or does it automatically suck moisture into the pitchers of it's own accord?
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: Hanging Pitcher Plant
March 09, 2015 07:50AM
We've got one of those Dawn, and I didn't know the name of it until I googled your plant name!! We are a different climate down here in the Waikato, but ours has lived successfully on the front deck (sheltered), then spent a Winter in a greenhouse (ignored), and then came inside on a back fridge (ignored) and survived all of that treatment. It has now found it's happy place, outside but against the house and sheltered from sun and winds, and is extremely happy.

The friends we received the initial cutting from, live in the Waitakeres, and have it on the outside deck year round
March 09, 2015 09:56PM
Thanks Irene! Sounds as if it's not the 'fragile' plant that I thought it would be. Do you keep it's soil damp all the time and do you make sure the pitchers keep fluid in them? We seem to have run out of flies now it's cooler, but I'd love to see a fly or two lured into the depth of it's pitchers!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2015 09:56PM by Dawn.
March 09, 2015 10:34PM
When it has been outside we water it every couple of days, but have never made a conscious effort (due to complete ignorance) re putting water in the actual Pitchers!!

When it was inside and that is my domain for watering, I confess to neglect and it would have been watered every 4 weeks - and NEVER in the pitchers smiling smiley

I didn't realise regarding the fly aspect - we just liked the plant and were given large cuttings to take home. I don't think the guys that gave it to us realise either - as they didn't give us any specific instructions. I must mention it to them smiling smiley
March 09, 2015 10:55PM
I'm not a very good 'waterer' of plants - only the toughest last around here!! That's why I've hung my fly eating plant in the bathroom - it does remind me to give it a drink and also the warm dampish atmosphere is probably good for it. It is a carnivorous plant just like the Venus Fly Trap, so gets some of it's nutrition via it's pitchers. Makes me feel much better knowing yours is doing OK not getting such a frequent water - I am beginning to relax about looking after it now thanks to you Irene! smiling smiley

There is a new pitcher being formed on it at the moment and it's about 12 centimetres long. The lid on the pitcher has not opened yet so it's completely sealed off inside at the moment, but if I give it a wee shake, I can hear fluid inside the pitcher. So obviously it fills the pitchers via the plant system, so maybe I should not be putting water in there.
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.