Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

sage that dies off

Posted by karena 
sage that dies off
May 26, 2006 08:58AM
I've had to replace sage plants several times after they've started to die off branch by branch - at first they grow very lush and then they just start to die back (sometimes it happens after I've pruned the bush). Could it be some kind of root rot? Should I avoid planting it in the same spot? Sage is one of my favourite herbs, so I'd love to be able to solve this problem. (I live in an area that's mostly frost-free, and have planted the sage in a good, sunny spot in clay soil)
Re: sage that dies off
May 26, 2006 01:52PM
Your problem could be the clay soil. Sage likes a rich loam. Try growing it in a large pot with potting mix
May 28, 2006 04:02AM
Thanks Margie - will try this.
May 28, 2006 04:13AM
I have the same problem have put in several plants over the years & the last one died almost as soon as it hit the ground!
I will try 1 in a pot now & see it that works. Margie what should I manure it with? I always thought herbs liked poor soil.
June 13, 2006 06:48AM
It is definately the clay soil, because it is a silver leafed plant it requires hot dry conditions, the reason you get good growth to start is that in the begining it is actively growing and uses the water up or the cinditions are in your favour but then with time the bad outways the good.
June 13, 2006 08:10AM

I now have sage in a pot and I'm watching it with interest! It's sitting on the concrete roof of my woodshed in a north-facing position...
November 01, 2006 02:55AM
I love sage too. This year I have repotted it in cpotting mix/compost and it has gone crazy- even has flowers for th e first time. I shifted it to a sheltered sunny spot. Same with the purple sage, thyme and oreganum. yes give it a repot and find the best spot for it
Ann
November 05, 2006 06:36PM
Hi,
planted sage this year, and a few other herbs, but planted them in containers. They are doing so well I am wondering if a 15 ltr container is large enough. What do others think?.

Also planted tomatoes likewise but Squige, our errant puddy cat decided it was a nice place to 'dig and bury'. Ah well. Ann
November 05, 2006 10:41PM
I grow all my herbs (apart from rosemary) in big pots - sage green and purple. mint 4 different varieties, thyme 2 different, chives, basil, coriander, marj, orag, parsley - curly and flat, tarragon, dill and lemon grass. This way I can have them right by the kitchen deck and choose to either have them in full sun or more shaded depending on their requirments. I take cuttings thru the year to replace the adult plant and grow them off in the shadehouse until required.
Ann
November 09, 2006 01:45PM
Thankyou for your interesting reply Raewyn. I have most herbs in different pots, but have lost the basil for some reason and the corriander has shot up and gone into flower in two weeks from planting. Again the endive is about 8 inches high and very closely packed leaves. The whole plant looks like the size of a medium sized cabbage.

Now I am stuck for ideas, other than in salads, as to what to use it for. Once again, many thanks Ann (W)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.