Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mystery Plant - Help with Identity????

Posted by Jennifer1 
Mystery Plant - Help with Identity????
June 08, 2006 12:32AM
I was recently in the Christchurch area. While stopped at one of the lookouts on the hill road to Sumner/Lyttelton, I noticed a plant.

It seemed to be a NZ native, but it may not be.

It looked like it had just grown there, rather than being planted, but I don't know.

It was a bush, rather than a tree.

It had small (2cm long) roundish leaves. The leaves were quite thick. The colour was mid-green, tending to what's known as olive green. The underside of the leaves was very pale.

The bush had flowers on it. They were very pale yellow. They had (uh-oh my botany lessons are going to completely fail me now) anthers and stigma in the middle of them and these were quite significant (like fuchsia ones but not so long) . The flowers were a similar shape to kowhai flowers (but a much, much paler yellow) and were about 2cm long with a little felty brown cap to the base of them (sepal).

Is anyone able to help me with the identity of this plant?

Thanks.

Hi Jennifer,
could it be a native hebe?
Kay D
Re: Mystery Plant - Help with Identity????
June 08, 2006 09:36PM
Do hebes have yellow flowers? And hebe flowers are more like a mini bottle brush than a kowhai. The flowers sound more like a kaka-beak, but again, I'm not sure about the yellow flowers. And the leaves sound like feijoa or pohutukawa. You didn't by any chance take a photo that you could download here with flikr, did you.
Re: Mystery Plant - Help with Identity????
June 08, 2006 10:50PM
Hi Kay D and Lorna, thanks for your suggestions.

I scoured my little books of pictures last night and managed to solve the mystery. It's a Correa backhousiana, an Australian plant that attracts nectar-feeding birds.

If you'd like to know what I'm talking about, a Google image search for 'Correa backhousiana' will bring up pictures of it.

Thanks.
Regards,
Jennifer1
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.