Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Citrus fertiliser

Posted by Toots 
Citrus fertiliser
October 01, 2006 02:18AM
I have a big bag of citrus fertiliser I bought for our 5 little trees and wonder if there any other plants in the garden which would benefit from a dose of it?
Re: Citrus fertiliser
October 01, 2006 11:14AM
I was told to use citrus fertiliser on my passionfruit. Last year I had a good crop so seems to have been good advice.

Jennifer.
October 02, 2006 01:05AM
Thanks Jennifer but I haven't a passionfruit vine!!Anything else please? My friend also wants to know if she can use rose fertiliser on anything else?I reckon the packet instructions don't give alternative uses so we buy a pack for every plant type!
October 02, 2006 03:09AM
Actually I would use up fertilisers on any plant or tree. Why not? Even if it has a slightly different make up it will still be better than nothing. Helps the budget too.
HTH, Jeanz
October 02, 2006 10:05AM
Fertiliser NPK can vary quite wildly between manufacturers. However, a rough guide (thanks Tui Fertiliser.......) would be:

Rose fert 4-5-9
Azalea, camellia, rhodos fert 5-6-2
Citrus & Fruit Trees 7-5-4
General fert 7-5-7
Lawn fert 13-4-1
Nitrophoska Blue Special fert (which can be used on shrubs, ornamentals, fruit trees, roses, vegetables........) 12-5-4-6

So you could compare the numbers with what's on your citrus fertiliser bag and see what else you could use it for - fruit trees for a start, I guess, if you have any others besides citrus.

I think I'd be a little more careful about the rose fertiliser. (Personally I generally only apply fertiliser to what is recommended on the bag; after all you've paid for it's special properties so why "waste" those special properties - you can always buy a bag of general fert for everything else, thereby keeping the special fert for the specific plants it's mixed for.)

N-P-K explained:
Nitrogen stimulates thick, rich, green growth of plants.
Phosphorus encourages root development and growth.
Potassium is responsible for the formation of flower buds and fruit and maintains overall plant health (which is why rose fert has a "9" for potassium I guess).

Happy fertilising! smiling smiley
October 02, 2006 10:24PM
Jennifer
Its great the way you find out information for those of us who perhaps don't have the excellent search skills you have. I have learned quite a lot from your various postings.
October 03, 2006 08:06AM
Thanks Stephanie D!! Big hugs! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.