Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

worm farms

Posted by TraceyA 
worm farms
October 03, 2006 10:57AM
I've been reading great things about worm farms (and the casts and worm tea you can use on your garden) and Mitre10 have one on special at the moment for $129.00. Are they easy to use/look after - has anyone used the Mitre10 ones or are they really easy to make your own?
Re: worm farms
October 03, 2006 09:20PM
Tracey, we made our own and definitely much cheaper. Just a box with fine mesh on the bottom and weedmat, and then a layer of shredded paper, then the dirt and then the worms. And it must be elevated. You can either cover it with old carpet, or make a lid. If it is a lid, you must drill some holes in the lid.
Then a large bucket underneath to catch the 'water'.
I put all my shredded paper in to feed them, all household scraps - except you cannot give them citrus, onions or meat. Anything organic can go in, ie I even put Minnie's (my dog) hair in when I comb her.
We have a small section and I think every house should have one. Feel free to pm me if you would like more info or even a photo emailed.
Cheers Irene smiling smiley
October 03, 2006 10:59PM
This is quite interesting [www.rnzih.org.nz]
October 04, 2006 12:18AM
Hi folks
I watched the gardening cooking programme on Maori TV on Saturday(?) evening. They visited Earthsong the eco village set up in Waitakere City. The system they were using in the houses looked, to me, far easier than worms. It worked on a bucket within a bucket system. The outside bucket was possibly 10 litres (I'm guessing) , the inner bucket was slighly smaller and had holes in the bottom for drainage. The inner bucket sat on a spacer so it was not sitting in the drained liquid. There was a lid that fitted the large bucket. All scraps went into the small bucket. Each time scraps went in a layer of what looked like fine sawdust was sprinkled over the top. This sawdust type thing had a Japanese name and has organisms in it. Apparently this system is used in many Japanese houses. On the programme I watched, the bucket was stored under the bench in the kitchen(odourless) , once a week( I'm guessing) the bucket was taken outside and the liquid drained into a bottle. It is as rich as "worm wee" for use on plants. The contents of the bucket were buried in a small trench in the garden and the woman interviewed said it would take about 3-4 weeks for decompostion to be complete. I am sure if you emaile d Waitakere City Council they would be able to give more details.
I have had a little experience with worm farms and thought that this looked a better way of doing things.
October 04, 2006 10:10AM
That system is called Bokashi. I have used it and it is easy and amazing. Look it up on google and there is a good description (with pictures) under chch city council. I get my mix from the library for about $4 a bag and it lasts for ages.
October 04, 2006 10:26PM
Thanks Missy. I thought it looked fantastic, not as temperamental as worms.
October 05, 2006 08:03AM
Easier than worms. I have worms galore in my compost bin and in a big pile of leaves with horse manure mixed through. On top of my leaf/manure/worm pile I have built a no dig garden with bought compost and pea straw -full of potatoes for Xmas- that's the idea!! They have just come through so I am very optimistic about them. I thought the heat from the under layer would hurry them a long. You can buy the bokashi kit- proper buckets but I made do with paint buckets- one with holes drilled in the bottom. Good because you get a lid with them. I have had a go at home made a worm farm- it went a bit "off" but I was too busy to monitor it, but a friend has a bought one and thinks it is great. Ended up with heaps of worm eggs, I think, and they are the base of my healthy worm stock. Either way, I am doing my bit towards recycling. Good luck.
October 05, 2006 09:12AM
Missy, I already have my paint buckets washed and ready. I , too, thought I could do that. I tried worms at school with my class but found the worms didn't like eating some things- lettuce with dressing on and also I didn't have anywhere sheltered and they got too hot. Bokashi definitely sounds like me! Sounds as if you have more room than me, the neighbours tend to get a bit scratchy in the city confines if horse manure etc is left around, although I have been known to smuggle in the odd cow pat or two!
October 14, 2006 09:36AM
I LOVE my worm farm but I have also heard about Bokashi and will definitely be trying that when we sell and move to our new place. It seems great but I will still keep my worms. I am quite attached to the little things :-)))))
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.