Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

How many slices of bread in a loaf?

Posted by helen 
How many slices of bread in a loaf?
March 29, 2007 03:11AM
How many slices are there in a standard loaf of toast bread?
I know I could go to the shop and buy one and count but I haven't got time and need to know.

Re: How many slices of bread in a loaf?
March 29, 2007 03:21AM
19 slices and 2 crusts

Regards
Sharon

As a parent, it is not what you give your children that builds their character but what you allow them to give you
Author Unknown
March 29, 2007 03:26AM
My Vogels toast says this.. servings per pack: 8.5 (15 slices & 2 crusts)
Serving size 85g (2 slices)
March 29, 2007 07:41AM
17slices and 2 crusts for a wholmeal toast Tip Top
March 29, 2007 09:27AM
Sorry, I must be feeling a bit testy tonight.

But, how hard is it to buy a loaf and count. Brands have different slice widths on their machinery.
March 29, 2007 09:31AM
17 slices and 2 crusts in my Holsum Soy and Linseed toaster loaf. Lynne, I'm sure there wouldn't be many of us who would grudge Helen the couple of minutes it takes to check our bread packet and post a reply. She did explain that she didn't have time to go out and buy a loaf.
March 29, 2007 10:25AM
Helen , can't be of any help, sorry only homemade bread here today. I hope you are all suitably impressed!
March 29, 2007 10:38AM
I'm very impressed, Stephanie D!
March 29, 2007 11:07AM
Stephanie,
I will only be impressed when you post that you have a commercial bread slicer and then I will want to know all that particular bs..no rude words onist... particulars. i.e. do you set it to slice or is it preset. I have noticed that most toast breads I buy have different thicknessnes. I bought one loaf of vogels that had at least 6 inches un sliced in the middle. Can't wait for unsliced t o return. I hate ambiguity!! Makes my brain work unaccustomedly.!!

Also...I hate going into a bread place, chosing my loaf and being asked if I want it sliced.. Help... I can slice my own.. BUT, when I asked why they kept asking me this I was told that young people can no longer slice their own bread..]]
They must be masters of manipulation/seduction as I am certainly not in the YOUNG category. So, can only conclude that they have been brainwashed!
I'm always begged to 'ave a noice doi". Why can't these youngsters even articulate proper hingllish hanymore???
March 29, 2007 01:15PM
Just counted "Sunny Crust" Wholemeal toast loaf here and there were 17 slices plus 1 thick'n'one skinny crust - 600gm loaf!

An intriguing question I feel.

I agree with Lynne, "Brands have different slice widths on their machinery". surely?

Ultimately, it must depend upon what brand toast bread you're using to get an accurate number of slices and from the Information given I'm sure Helen has been able to work out a % figure.

Out of the 4 loaves of bread I put into the freezer this afternoon, one is 700gms, one is 600 gms, and two are 750 gms. Wouldn't the ingredients of a loaf make a difference to the amount of slices? I would imagine them to be what we'd call a "standard loaf"? (I know the question isn't about weights).

Yes Stephanie - I am suitably impressed too! My homemade bread (which my breadmaker hasn't made for ages 'cos it's on some sort of a protest I suppose) - I used to start off by cutting it skinny fashion, and that turned out OK for the first few slices. But the further down the loaf I got, a slice would begin precariously skinny only to end up being much thicker at the botty end of the slice. Having said that, no-one minded because it was the freshest of bread and home made to boot - even if it was the breadmaker that produced it!
*d*
March 29, 2007 09:17PM
What I find very annoying is when you buy a toast cut loaf and find alternate slices are thin. Not that this happens often (the buying, I mean, not the slices) as 99.9% of my bread is home made. At least that way, I can cut it however I like.

Just lately I've started making the dough only in the breadmaker and baking the bread in the oven. This is because the size and shape of the breadmaker bread just doesn't fit in my toaster properly. Now I have a longer, lower loaf that does fit, and it tastes completely different to the breadmaker baked ones. Different texture too. However, I do like baked either way.
March 29, 2007 09:56PM
I also make all my own bread and have a breadslicer (manual) that I picked up from a second hand shop. It's the sort with a circular blade and a handle you turn round. It doesn't work very well on loaves just out of the breadmaker but is good for making sure the slices for sandwiches aren't too thick.
March 30, 2007 02:18AM
Lorna, how long does a 750g loaf take to bake in the oven and at what temperature.
Thanks
Nellie
March 30, 2007 08:48AM
I too prefer to make my dough in the breadmaker but rise and cook it in the oven - this way you can plait it or make whatever shape you're in the mood for. I always bake mine 30mins at 200 degrees.
Regards
Emma
March 30, 2007 11:38PM
Nellie, I do mine for 30-35 minutes at about 180C, covering it half-way through with foil otherwise it's too brown for my liking. Middle of the oven. I make it in a non-stick meat-loaf pan. Ideal size for my breadmaker. If I do a 1kg loaf, it rises too much and makes a lovely shape loaf with a mushroom top but impractical for my toaster. Here's my method:

Make the dough on dough mode. (about 1 hour)
Tip dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll with my hands till it's twice the length of my breadpan. I don't actually knead it, just roll it very firmly, keeping it an even thickness, especially the ends. Don't let them get thin and pointy. When it's long enough, just fold over the two ends to meet in the middle, pick it up and put it in the loaf tin, folded ends down. Spray or brush on oil (and any topping you may want) and put in the hot-water cupboard for 1.5 hours, till almost doubled. Then bake as above. This is for a wholemeal loaf. I never make white bread.
March 31, 2007 11:55AM
Thanks for your help!
Freddie was asleep and I needed to finish off some writing with an approximate slice count.

Pat
March 31, 2007 11:53PM
Hi Lorna
Your bread sounds so nice, I would love to try and make a loaf just like it.
Is it possible for you to post the recipe as I don't eat white bread at all.
Thanks Pat
April 01, 2007 09:48PM
There's nothing special about it, but here it is:

1 tbsp yeast (I use Surebake; you may need to adjust the amount for other yeasts)
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup white flour
2 tbsps gluten flour
1 cup bran flakes
1 tbsp sugar OR molasses
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps skim milk powder
2 tbsps oil
1 1/2 cups water

Add all to the breadmaker in whichever order your particular model says to (ie all dry stuff first, or all liquid stuff first)
Set to dough mode.

This makes a very soft dough, very slightly sticky, but the stickiness is remedied when it is tipped out onto a lightly floured surface. Continue as in my previous post. For a rustic loaf, shape into a round or oblong, prove, and bake on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
Enjoy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2007 10:24PM by Lorna.
Pat
April 01, 2007 11:26PM
Hi Lorna
Thank you very much for that I think maybe using the oven does make a better loaf than the machine. Well at least a change to the same old same.
Cheers Pat
April 02, 2007 01:01AM
Thanks for the recipe Lorna, I'm also interested in making your loaf. Do you mind telling me what part the gluten flour plays, and if it would make any difference to leave it out?
April 02, 2007 02:04AM
Thanks Lorna for you tips. If I leave it to rise in the breadmaker and then just take it out before the 'bake' mode, would this work okay do you think?
Cheers
Nellie
April 02, 2007 03:07AM
The gluten in flour is the stretchy stuff that you develop with kneading. It holds the bread together and gives it its crumb texture. High grade flour has more gluten than standard, which is why it is recomended for bread making. Wholemeal flour isn't very high in gluten so the addition of gluten flour (available at Bin Inn) helps hold it together and stop it from being too crumbly.
Lorna - 1 tablespoon seems like a lot of yeast for 3c flour. I use 1 1/2tsp for 750g flour (about 6 cups). Are you using surebake or active yeast?
April 02, 2007 04:04AM
Many thanks, PennyG. Beautifully explained!
Momma
April 02, 2007 09:01PM
I use gluten for the very reason that Penny explains: I use ordinary high grade (but not 'strong') white flour and the gluten gives a good texture. However, it isn't essential.

Nellie, are you asking if you should select bake mode and leave the bread in for both rises? I suppose this MIGHT work, but you would have difficulty getting the bread out of the bread-maker without 'deflating' it for a 2nd time. It would need reshaping, knocking out all the air again. You'd still have to allow it to rise again, I think, so it would be defeating the purpose.

Penny, I'm using Surebake yeast. I've never actually weighed a loaf; I am going by the instruction book that came with the breadmaker, and it has instructions for a 750 loaf which generally uses 3 cups of flour, or a 1kg loaf which uses 4 cups. I have tinkered around with the basic recipe till it suits my taste, thus the addition of 1 cup of bran plus the extra yeast. I find if I use 1 1/2 teaspoons of yeast, the bread turns out quite heavy and dense. I prefer a much lighter, fluffier, loaf.
April 02, 2007 09:59PM
Lorna, it might pay to edit your bread recipe to specify surebake yeast as with surebake you need to use double the quantity that you would of active yeast. The actual amount of yeast is the same but Surebake contains various bread enhancers that make up half its volume. If someone used your recipe with active yeast they would end up with a very yeasty-tasting loaf that staled very quickly. It might also rise too much and break the gluten leading to a coarse texture, lots of holes and crumbliness.
April 02, 2007 11:39PM
Penny G
Thanks for that re surebake and active yeast. I didn't know that there was that much difference in volume. It will be helpful when conveting from active to surebake, to use some of my older recipes.
Jean

Jean
April 03, 2007 10:23PM
Thanks for that Penny. As Surebake is the only yeast I use, I didn't even think to specify it. Will go and do it now.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.