Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

foodie destinations in auckland

Posted by billie1 
foodie destinations in auckland
October 24, 2007 02:11AM
I'm going to be in Auckland for a few days next month, and I'm wondering what you would recommend as foodie places to visit. I'm planning on seeing the fish market. Any other suggestions?
Belinda
Re: foodie destinations in auckland
October 24, 2007 02:52AM
Zarbos Cafe/Deli in Morrow Street, Newmarket.
Farro Fresh Foods, Lunn Avenue, Mt Wellington especially on an afternoon they are having demo's (Thursday 1.00 pm Ray McVinnie every week)
La Cigale French-style Market Saturdays til 1.00 p.m. St Georges Bay Road, Parnell,
Nosh, Apirana Avenue, Glen Innes (similar type store to Farro - imported goodies/fish/meat/fruit/veges/cafe, etc.
Auckland Farmers Market, Sunday mornings, Alexandra Park Raceway
Auckland Farmers Market, Sat. morning, Britomart, Downtown Auckland
Sabato, Normanby Road, Mt Eden (Italian food importers)

PS. Have just read in my local Courier tonight about a new Farmers Market to open on Nov. 3rd - the Parnell Trust Farmers Market to be held from 8.00 til noon in the carpark behind the Jubilee Building at 545 Parnell Rd (old Blind Institute Bldg).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2007 08:11AM by anneb.
October 24, 2007 08:30AM
Avondale Markets Sunday 6.00 am - 12.00. Amazing selection of vegetables and fruit.
October 24, 2007 08:32AM
Jones the Grocer on Carlton Gore Rd in Newmarket is also worth a visit, especially if you like cheese
November 01, 2007 10:50PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the super-cheap airfare I got ($2 return form Wanganui) means I can't be there on the weekend, so will miss the markets. But I'll definintely check out the other suggestions. What's the seafood market like?
DK
November 02, 2007 12:06PM
Silver Bell Chinese Foodstore in Dominion Rd.

The Family Barrow in the Downtown Shopping Centre in the Auckland CBD - they have some AMAZING bargains. I bought a kilo of Puhoi Parmesan cheese there for $9.99 last month. A bit of an Aladdin's Cave - you never know what you'll find.

C'est Fromage (was Pyrenees)/Maison Vauron in MacColl (spelling?) St in Newmarket - tasty French stuff and delectable cheeses.
DK
November 02, 2007 12:20PM
Ooops, I forgot Eiffel en Eden on Mt Eden Rd.

In reply to your question about the fish market...it's pretty good and worth a look. Some good specials. Free parking and a free shuttle bus that picks up from points in the CBD so that makes it really easy to get to. Have a look at the website: <[www.aucklandfishmarket.co.nz>];
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.