Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Trifle

Posted by Zeetra 
Trifle
November 24, 2007 11:52AM
Hi there,

How do you make your trifle?

Im after a different version of what mum makes.. she will make her trifle for xmas dessert but im after something new...

I was thinking choc sponge, strawberries,choc custard with choc chips and cream etc..
But I like the idea of a jelly setting the sponge and fruit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Zeetra
Re: Trifle
November 24, 2007 12:15PM
Probably not that different but I put 2 layers of broken sponge sprinked with fruit juice and sherry, fruit, then custard, between layers and on top. Cover with whipped cream.
November 24, 2007 08:03PM
The same as Trisha except spread raspberry or strawberry jam on the cut trifle before placing in the dish. The family would want hard jubes cut on top 'just like nanas'
November 24, 2007 08:08PM
Zeetra, last year I thought I would try choc sponge, choc mousse and strawberries and cream, and I drizzled the sponge with Baileys. It was nice, but really I think you can't beat the good old fashioned trifles - there is just something about the old trifles and even with the way they age is nice. But after saying that, I have never made the old fashioned trifle!! Last years attempt was my first time.
November 24, 2007 11:19PM
Just don't do what I did last year and make it the same day you intend to eat it. I totally forgot that trifles are best made a day or two ahead of time. The custard hadn't set much on mine and all the yumminess hadn't soaked through the sponge. I was so annoyed at myself as I had been looking forward to it for weeks!
November 25, 2007 03:01AM
My Mum's old and tried recipe for trifle is - put a layer of sponge in a bowl - she used to buy sponge rolls with the jam in the middle , but I normally make my own sponge and spread raspberry jam on top. Then cover the sponge with dry ginger ale until soaked through the sponge but not saturated! I find THAT the hardest part!!! Mash the whole up until it resembles a dog's dinner and put boiled custard on the top! [you can add a whole well beaten egg to the custard to make it richer] mix the custard through the sponge and leave it in the frig overnight or whatever to cool and set and when you are ready to serve - cover with whipped cream and whatever sprinkles you want. It might look like a mess before the cream but when decorated it looks good and we all love it!! The main thing is not to get the sponge over wet with ginger ale and that is a bit tricky, or it will go a bit soggy.
November 25, 2007 03:30AM
sponge with jam spread on it broken up and put in the bottom of a pretty bowl. Sprinkle with fruit juice till moist but not wet. Fruit on top. I like raspberries, strawberries, boysenberries and cut up stonefruit, any combination (I don't recommend what my mother put in them though, banana, orange and stewed rhubarb) then make a custard and pour over the top. Leave a day or two. Can't abide jelly or sherry in trifles either.
November 25, 2007 04:58AM
Choc sponge, with boysenberries (tinned is fine), and use the juice to soak into the sponge. Then custard and finally a layer of cream on top.

No jelly in this one, and it tastes great.

Linda.
November 25, 2007 06:25AM
I like the old fashioned way too, sponge with fruit jce & sherry soaked in it then fruit then custard & cream on top but here is another way for if your in a hurry Instead of custard use vanilla instant pudding. This is good too, mash up a punnet of strawberries with a little icing or castor sugar & leave so that juice developes then add it to jam spnge that has been cut up & leave to soak through squishing around a good bit too it won't look pretty at this stage but it doesn't, matter then add home made custard & top with whipped cream & garnish with whole strawberries. Sherry can be added if desired. It looks nice & colourful in a glass bowl.
jen
November 25, 2007 07:58AM
Check out the recipe in Taste magazine from a few months back. I am now a trifle convert having shuned the jelly/tinned fruit versions of my parents era. This one has rhubarb, which I hate, but love in this trifle.
jen
November 25, 2007 11:47AM
I make trifle with the sponge fingers the hard ones from Holland?? Savorious???? the do make a very good trifle and they look nicer in the bowl, i often use ginger ale to soak the sponge, or i make a syrup with suger and orange juice, the egg in the custard makes the custard richer and I think a wee bit thicker. enjoy why not try a few bore Christmas Zeetra
in harmony Janette
November 25, 2007 07:54PM
Savoiardi, Janette. They're quite easy to make, too, and keep well in an airtight tin or plastic wrapping, so you can make them a few days in advance. This recipe comes from Haalo in Australia, off her blog Eat Anything Once.

Savoiardi

100 g plain flour
100 g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
2 egg whites

Heat oven to 180C

Beat the yolks with sugar until light and fluffy and sugar has dissolved.

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.

Sift flour over egg yolk mixture and very gently fold to amalgamate. You need to keep the mixture as light as possible and incorporate as much air as possible.

Finally add the egg whites in two batches, folding until just combined.

Put mixture into piping bag fitted with plain tip. Pipe lines onto baking paper. Dust them with icing sugar and then bake for about 8 minutes or until they are a light golden colour.

Let them cool on the tray before removing them - keep them stored in an airtight container.

November 26, 2007 01:49AM
Trifle sponge (1 large slab)
Spread with raspberry jam, put in bowl & cut into little squares, rearranging so that bottom of bowl is covered evenly.
Pour over 450g can crushed pineapple, juice and all
Sherry to taste
Pour over 1 litre carton of vanilla custard
Top with 300mls cream, whipped, halved strawberries and a crumbled chocolate F**** bar.

Yummy, quick and easy and fine if eaten the same day although with sherry its flavour does develop.

Regards,

Barbie Girl
November 26, 2007 03:22AM
Can you use other alcohols instead of sherry, i cant stand it, that and port and rum..yuck
November 26, 2007 03:52AM
I find sherry too sweet with the jam on the sponge. I have always used, as did my Mum, half fruit juice and half Port, tawny or ruby, it doesn't matter.
A sweet white dessert wine would be okay, zeetra, specially one with a Muscatel flavour.

Cheers
Beverley
November 26, 2007 04:56AM
Who would have thought there were so many different ways of doing trifle. Everyone has their own favourite variations. Mum sprinkled with sherry and fruit juice combined to just moisten then would barely cover with a jelly then it was fruit often fruit salad then the custard and then whipped cream just before serving topped with fruit, strawberries, passion fruit or pineapple.
I don't have any particular recipe but wing it at the time but generally have some sherry sprinkled in and sometimes I make the ice cream pudding as the custard, the one in the Edmonds book but I'm sure it is in other books. An other custard that I use is one of Alison Holsts that uses eggs.
Mr's mother made a lovely trifle but she didn't part with her recipe but I think she used sponge fingers or I even wondered if it was shortbread fingers (bought ones) or similar. Unfortunately she is no longer with us.
I remember that there was always too much trifle when Mum made it and it made something different for breakfast with fruit on boxing day. That is if brother no 2 didn't have a midnight snack or get to the bowl first in the morning.
Jean

Jean
November 26, 2007 05:12AM
So I'm not the only one to have trifle for breakfast on Boxing Day! My recipe is on this thread [www.foodlovers.co.nz]
November 26, 2007 08:51AM
I have to have trifle on boxing day morning or else its just not right in my books...
November 26, 2007 09:03AM
hi
my old mums receipe is a bit different

broke up sponge and drain a tin of boynesberries but the juice over the sponge and then put the boynesberries over this. Then make a instant pudding with half the milk required. whip cream and mix with the instant pudding and then pour over sponge and there you have a great trifle

enjoy
November 26, 2007 11:46PM
WE should start a club - I loooove trifle for breakfast on Boxing Day and sadly won't be getting it this year as we have to pack up on Christmas Day and leave on Boxing Day to go camping. I may have to make myself a trifle when we get back just so I don't feel so cheated, although it won't be quite the same!
November 27, 2007 05:11AM
Yes Tracey I think we should make a club as we have to pack up and go camping on boxing day too..... Im so gonna sulk...
November 27, 2007 10:06AM
...so why can't you pack up the trifle and take it along with you -chillybin, icepacks, even a plastic plate and spoon - anything but waste that 'morning after' trifle.

I have always found it mildly amusing that, come Christmas, Kiwis abandon their homes in droves, having struggled all year, in many cases, to pay mortgages and having put huge effort into renovating, painting, decorating and gardening to go and live in a flamin' tent...!. ...and call it a holiday....!!

Makes no sense to me at all - but then some things in life do defy logic.

But I digress...

Regards,

Barbie Girl

November 27, 2007 10:25AM
oh I know Barbie girl. Makes no sense to me either sionce we take everytihng including the kitchen sink with us.... well ok a slight exageration.We do take the lap top, fridge, toaster with us.... powered sites are so good...

Zee
November 27, 2007 11:04AM
..well I wasn't going to get onto the other end of it where you take all the home comforts with you, so why not holiday at home and enjoy the fruits of your labours without having to pack it all in a car.....(are we there yet!!)?

My Grandad used to go camping - his tent was very well appointed, including wall to wall carpet...!!!???

Regards,

Barbie Girl

November 27, 2007 11:36PM
um well we also have carpet in our tent too....(blushes)

I love my home but i like to get away and spend time with friends...the kids love camping and its a big part of our lives to make great memories for them doing things we love and camping is just one of them..

Zee
November 28, 2007 12:06AM
Our kids looove camping and while we camp I don't have to feel guilty for just sitting around, in the shade of a tree, with a cup of tea, a magazine and some of the Christmas Cake currently residing in the freezer waiting to go camping with us, and feel guilty that I'm not cleaning/gardening/tidying etc at home. I just don't sit around at home so camping is a good way to get a proper rest. We'll probably have different sorts of holidays once the kids get older and don't want to camp with us anymore.
November 28, 2007 03:39AM
Hi Tracey,

You will be amazed that kids who love camping still do it when they are older. Our's have been camping since in nappies and are now 23 (son) & 28 (daughter) and camped with us until they were in their late teens. They now have their own tents and camp gear, (along with stuff they have pinched off us as we no longer camp) and enjoy nothing more than getting out into the widen open spaces and enjoying the freedom of no laptops, cell phones, office politics etc. To them camping is a proper holiday without any stresses.

Helen B.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.