Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Pork Hock

Posted by lynne 
Pork Hock
November 27, 2007 01:20AM
I have a pork hock..........just plain, not brined. What can I do with it ? Can I roast it, or just boil it?
Thanks.
sue
Re: Pork Hock
November 27, 2007 03:54AM
I think that I would roast it (like a leg of pork)
November 27, 2007 10:29AM
Roast it like a leg of pork....I have roasted these on many occasions....and they are absolutley beautiful.....meat just falls off the bone
November 27, 2007 08:49PM
hi
these are also nice in the crockpot, just place the hock in the crockpot put on low all day and come home and it is beautiful
cheers
November 28, 2007 06:10AM
Like the sound of that Carolynab. Easy peasy. I suppose I would add the usual I would add to pickled pork in the Crock pot ?
November 28, 2007 08:25PM
If you want to 'roast' it in the crockpot don't add any liquid. I would try the same as I do with my bolar, which I sprinkle with a packet of either mushroom or onion soup, but in this case, I'd try something with some sage in it. And maybe sit it on a thickly sliced apple. The resulting gravy would be delectable. Mmmmm, I can taste it right now.
November 28, 2007 08:33PM
hi Lorna
that sounds really good. I am going to try that next time i just put in plain.
cheers
November 29, 2007 10:57AM
My father loved them just boiled & so does my son. I do not like the look of them. We raised pigs & I know where those wee trooters have been!
November 29, 2007 10:59AM
Sorry I mean trotters
November 29, 2007 11:12AM
Jennifer, I think you have put me off them for good! Yuk
There's hardly any meat on them now like bye gone years!
December 01, 2007 11:11AM
Pork hocks are quite different animals to trotters. Trotters are pig feet; hocks are a bit higher up the leg and have meat on them - think of them as mini pork legs. I sometimes treat them like a roast; and other times braise them in a casserole with diced apple and onion which has been sauteed in butter first - optional garlic - then throw in some finely sliced red cabbage, a generous slurp or two of red wine vinegar, a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, s & p, and if I have them half a dozen crushed juniper berries. Cover and slow cook in the oven .

Lynne2
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.