Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

food from childrens books

Posted by Tammy 
food from childrens books
November 29, 2007 04:52AM
I am going to enter into a food blog competition and theme is food from a childhood story book - any ideas???
Re: food from childrens books
November 29, 2007 05:00AM
Goldilock and the three bears and "porridge" immediately springs to mind, but that may be a tad bit boring....

Jojo
November 29, 2007 05:46AM
Gingerbread house/Gingerbread?
November 29, 2007 05:49AM
what was little Jack Horner sitting in the corner eating??? Someone was eating curds & whey but I think I am getting my nursery rhymes mixed up. Was that Mary eating curds and whey - this is going to bug me now, and actually what is curds and whey?????
November 29, 2007 06:13AM
Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened the birds began to sing,
Oh wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?
The king was in his counting house counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey
The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose!

But, I'm not too sure about the Blackbirds Tammy - maybe have to be poussin?
Regards,
Dawn.
November 29, 2007 06:14AM
Little Jack was sitting in the corner eating his xmas pies. Little miss muffet was sitting on her tuffet eating her curds and whey. What about Hansel & Gretel and the wicked witch ?

Helen B.
November 29, 2007 06:15AM
and pray.. what are curds and whey
and that is my poetry for the day smiling smiley
Bev
November 29, 2007 06:17AM
I can only think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Bev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2007 06:17AM by Bev.
November 29, 2007 07:13AM
Green Eggs and Ham said Nozzie-I-am!

November 29, 2007 07:28AM
Lemony Snickett "A series of unfortunate events" - Puttanesca
Molly Moon - an orphan who arrived in a marshmallow box
Harry Potter - weird and wonderful sweets on the Hogwarts Express
Pippi Longstocking - used to serve up wonderful feasts
Rattatouille!
Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Turkish Delight
Didn't Charlie Brown have a pumpkin pie thingy one Halloween?

will try to think of more...

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
November 29, 2007 10:16AM
Curds and whey are produced when making cheese. The milk is set with rennet and then cut into small cubes. These are the curds and the remaining liquid is the whey. At this stage the curds, if drained, are like cottage cheese.
November 29, 2007 10:54AM
thank you Penny!!! that is appreciated
November 29, 2007 08:38PM
Tammy I was wondering if you are allowed to change the story to fit with the food theme-i.e. could you do something like the twelve days of Christmas based around food?
November 29, 2007 09:25PM
It has to be a book rather than a rhyme - I like Lynley's idea of the Turkish delight - I have always wanted to make it! A friend suggested cherry tart whcih is what the Famous Five ate on picnics (with lashings of ginger beer!!!!) :0)
November 29, 2007 09:45PM
There is quite a bit of food in the Roald Dahl books. My son once got a Roald Dahl recipe book from the library. I can't remember all of them but in 'James and the Giant Peach' there was Hot Noodles made from Poodles on a slice of Garden Hose and A Rather Smelly Jelly made of Armadillo's Toes. More appealing may be Wonka's Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow delight from 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. Other things I have thought of are:
Jumbles from 'What Katy Did'
Cut-and-Come-Again Cake from 'The Faraway Tree'
December 01, 2007 05:17AM
My daughter got the Roald Dahl cookbook out of the library. It was full of amazing recipes made up from food described in his books. I especially liked the bird pie with all the twiggy feet sticking out of it, very cool! The Mr Twit dish was great too.
December 01, 2007 09:25AM
Tammy, I like the sound of Wonka's Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow suggestion by PennyG. Sounds like a wonderful idea for a recipe to be concocted up! Man, this could be a slice, a pudding (like a Queen Anne?) pudding - chocolate custard with a meringue topping maybe?

Clare
December 01, 2007 10:23AM
Are you permitted to make something up?
Such as... and seeing it's Christmas..
Something to incorporate the Advent calendar.. A story.
About.. thinking on my trotters here.. Somehow you have to make up a story though for it to work and introduce your recipes as you go along.

Example off top of my wined head.. an Advent Calendar in a school. Twelve children..Each child has to choose a day between 1-12 drawn from lucky chocolate, raspberry cream coated cheese straws. This is their starting point. Maybe yours. Behind each shutter/day is a treat or a threat. The treat has to be physically made for the child to move on to the next hurdle...Invisage hurdles made of marshmellows, crumbed with nuts and poached in golden honey.
As Advent calendars are usually sweet treats you could perhaps make a different choc, sweet treat for each day each child opens. Plus, a bitter surprise (a braying goat being fed a silverbeet pie with pickled worthog buds) every so often for the unwary.
But, the way isn't that simple. there are greedy little bellies in this lot who steal from the others and substitute chewed off pieces of rusks or something childish..oh.. um.. rock cakes would be good (ghastly things).. dunked in molten mud.. these nasty types end up being soooo fat and filled with their own self importance, that they fly off to the moon where they must begin a new life and eat Mars Bars deep fried in ice cream, forever more and then have a complete reversal of faith and become vegetarians or join a roast beef and raisin club or something..
I think you could make up a really neat story line of your own along lines of something that appeals to you instead of making use of someone elses ideas or even my silly stuff.. I truly think you have the ability to do something superb once you know which road /story line to take.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.