Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

First Birthday Party

Posted by Steph 
First Birthday Party
April 18, 2006 01:30AM
Hi All

It is my son's first birthday in a few weeks time and he is having a party where there will be about 5 children (with the oldest being three and the rest under two). There will also be about 20 adults coming. I was going to do both kids food (for both the kids and the adults !) and also adults only finger food. The only thing is, not having done this before, I am not really too certain on kids food, especially for kids that little ! Does anyone have any ideas ? So far all I have got is sausage rolls, cheerios and fruit kebabs. Even though the kids probably wont eat that much, I sort of feel that I have to produce some kids food even if its the adults that eat it !

Many thanks
Steph
Re: First Birthday Party
April 18, 2006 02:33AM
Went to a childs party recently and they had fairy bread cut into star shapes, little iced cupcakes, and small club sandwiches.
April 18, 2006 05:23AM
Hi there Steph!, My sons first birthday is coming up also!, I intend to make everything 'wee' so everyone can eat it!!. I want to encourage my little one-and others to experiment and try other food than the typical cheerios and fairy bread!.

I am looking at making
-mini iced muffins
-mini zuchini, ham and carrot fritattas
-mini club sandwiches
-fruit kebabs
-franfurters cut into bite sized pieces, spread in mustard and wrapped in puff pastry.
-vege 'bits' and dips
-meat balls and dip.
-mini ricepaper rolls.

I hope this helps some??
smiling smiley Enjoy the party!
April 18, 2006 05:27AM
If you are able to before preparing the food - check with the adults attached to the children as to whether there are things they can't eat as so many kids these days seem to have intolerances to wheat or dairy or other things. I have a 71/2 and a 4 1/4 year old so have been to heaps of kids parties. You are right that kids under 3 will not eat a huge amount so cater more to the adults. It is a pity that the Summer is over as a sausage sizzle/BBQ would work well for all age groups.

As far as the children's food goes (assuming allergies aren't a problem) I would put out cheerios, little sandwiches - you can dress them up by using cutters to make nice shapes, cheese and crackers, fruit - whether kebabs or just small cubes, bearing in mind that if the fruit goes brown it won't be as appealing, birthday cake of course and some homemade biscuits or marshmallows. I prefer to leave lollies off the table and either use them in prizes if having games or dish out at the end of party in loot bags. In the past I have found that if there was too much junk like lollies on the table they just went for that and other food was barely touched. The kids will probably be having too much fun to worry too much about food anyway. As long as there is a mix of healthy stuff and treats they will be happy.
April 18, 2006 08:50AM
Another thing that goes downwell is mini pikelets, usual mixture just made smaller, sprinkled with 100's and 1000's. Also savoury pikelets for the grown ups- Annabel Langbein has an awesome recipe for those in her "best of" book. They are just divine spread with pate or even simpler just a nice bought dip.Both sorts can be made in advance and frozen and then just need to be "topped" on the day. Don't forget the bubbly for making it through the first year and staying sane!!
April 18, 2006 01:14PM
When i did my kids parties no matter what age these were always a HUGE hit with kids and adults

- cocktail sauasages
- fairy bread
-mini muffins
-marshmellow slice
- sauasge rolls
- chips of any kind
- soft lollies
-aspargus rolls

You can do food for the adults if you choose too but remember to make it loads of fun for yourself and your son. Dont worry too much about the food its the people who come and help make the memories for your son for the day.

Zeetra

April 19, 2006 02:04AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions ! I am going to instigate most of them ! There will definately be bubbly to celebrate making the first year - not sure if I can say I am still sane though !
April 19, 2006 03:39AM
Just had a thought about the fruit kebabs - I am sure you already knew but be careful not to use toothpicks with little people around - the last thing you want is a drama- sorry that's the nurse in me always looking for danger!!! Have a great time
April 21, 2006 03:20AM
I always do polony and cheese for the little ones. They love it. And pizza is a good one too.
April 22, 2006 12:17AM
fruit bracelets go down a treat with little ones. Just thread a fine piece of elastic onto a needle and thread through purple and green grapes.
Also mini hot dogs - just use the small long dinner rolls and put in a cherio with grated cheese on top
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.