Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Freezing Parsley

Posted by Carole Muir 
Freezing Parsley
January 26, 2008 03:36AM
Colud someone please tell me the best way to freeze parsley as I have quite a lot of it and don't want it to go to waste.

Thanks Carole
Re: Freezing Parsley
January 26, 2008 03:51AM
Hi Carole, just bag it and seal the bag - that is all I do, not sure if it is correct or not, but it works for me smiling smiley
January 26, 2008 04:07AM
Hi Carole,

Yes, as Irene has suggested does indeed work but personally, if I have sufficient parsley to make it worthwhile, what I prefer to do is wash and dry (e.g. in a salad spinner) the parsley well, then chop it in the food processor and freeze it in ice cube trays. Once frozen transfer the frozen parsley cubes to a plastic bag or container and return them to the freezer - so convenient if making parsley sauce or whatever. I just add the still frozen cube(s) to the otherwise all prepared sauce and allow the parsley to thaw then reheat the sauce as/if needed.
January 26, 2008 04:12AM
Another thought, have some on the go at the moment, is we dry ours. Have it hanging, and then when it has dried, we rub it and store it in an airtight container. Great for soups, stews etc.
January 26, 2008 05:53AM
I to have mine already chopped so much easier while fresh rather than frozen. It freezes really well & I just put mine into plastic bags spread it out & lie flat so I can just break off what I need.
January 26, 2008 06:43AM
Has anyone made parsley pesto as a way of keeping it & is there a recipe about? Cheers, Chris
January 26, 2008 07:25AM
Salsa Verde is similar to pesto and uses parsley. Annabelle Langbein has a recipe which I can PM you if interested. Otherwise, a google search resulted in a few different Salsa Verde recipes.
January 26, 2008 08:25AM
Hi chrisb,

Here's the link to a 2004 thread with a Parsley Pesto recipe: [www.foodlovers.co.nz]
January 26, 2008 09:55AM
Thank you so much ladies for all your ideas.
January 28, 2008 07:50AM
You have inspired me Carole - I have dried parsley, just rubbed and stored, have a bag in the freezer, and today when I saw all our parsley - both flat leaf and curly leaf - thought mmmm shall I try the pesto. So I have just made it (from the BBC UK website) and mother of miracles, it is divine.
Now a question.. how long will it last?? I have it in an airtight jar in the fridge, but with cheese and garlic as an ingredient, any ideas please? Although it most probably won't last long enough for this question to matter, but just in case please smiling smiley
cheers Irene
January 29, 2008 02:32AM
Hi Irene. I have found an unopened jar which was hiding in the back of the fridge for several months (don't ask!!) and it was perfect. As for an opened jar, I guess it can be treated like jam. Opened jars never hang around long enough for me to find out a use before date!
January 29, 2008 02:47AM
Thanks Rachel, it should be fine then. Although as I said this is divine, I don't think it will last too long - and I mixed up both types of parsley and you can't even tell.
Cheers smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.