Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Victorian Supper- An Auckland Museum food event

Posted by Virgil 
Hello all

I thought some of you might be interested in this event that I’m hosting at Auckland Museum.

Earlier in the year we ran an evening of Ancient Egyptian food and food history, which was huge success and a lot of fun.
Running with the theme of our current and rather fabulous special exhibition ‘Darwin’ [about the man, not the city] we have developed a food event looking at Victorian food. Read below for more info & hope to see some of you there!

Victorian Supper
Event runs: 31 Oct
6.30pm – 9pm
Columbus Cafe
$50 per head includes food, wine and entry into the Darwin exhibition.
Victorian foods offer a fascinating insight into the attitudes of the time and reflect the expanse of the empire, with dishes of both English and decidedly exotic origin. Included in the evening activities will be a range of edible relics from the age of unfeasibly high top hats and stiff upper lips as well as lashings of wine, sherry and witty repartee.
Bookings to 306 7048
[www.aucklandmuseum.com]

Re: Victorian Supper- An Auckland Museum food event
October 12, 2007 01:37AM
This sounds fantastic, Virgil. I wish I lived in Auckland! In Tauranga we are battling to even get a museum let alone one with such interesting-sounding offerings sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 01:38AM by PennyG.
October 12, 2007 02:44AM
Hey Virgil

Haven't seen you around for ages...would love to go but same as Penny, stuck down here in Tauranga...would be great to read a report on how the evening goes though!

Kind regards
Ginny
October 12, 2007 08:50AM
I am definitely going - sounds wonderful!
October 12, 2007 08:45PM
We have a museum here in Whitianga but it only takes 10 minutes to see all the exhibits. Isn't Auckland lucky not only to have a museum but to whet people's appetites (both culinary and historical) with such offerings.
October 13, 2007 01:43AM
Penny and Ginny, I would give anything to be stuck in Tauranga- sun , beaches, blue sky , what more could you want!
Virgil, if we come, do we dress for the period?
Up to you entirlery, but there will be prizes for the best costumes. Im hoping I still fit my vintage saville row waistcoat. My 30s are doing strange things with my waistline...
October 31, 2007 12:27PM
Did any Foodlover's go?
How did it go?
What was the food like?

I heard Helen's interview with Virgil - thankyou - interesting and an intriguing subject!
D.
No Foodlovers, but a few regular listeners to Helens radio show, which was nice.

It was a great night, with some wonderful food, a lot of wine, laughs and a rather potent elderflower punch...

Stayed tuned for our next food event, a Pacifica dinner in March and we are planning to go all out with the food event for an up coming exhibition dealing with the art and treasures of a certain sovereign state in Rome... More on that when I'm allowed to talk about it!

Thank you all for your interest and Helen for your support.

Virgil
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.