Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Scones made with cream

Posted by noeleendickson 
Scones made with cream
March 13, 2008 07:29AM
Just had the most beautiful scones at a cafe. The owner would not give the recipe but said it was Self raising flour and cream but no sugar.
Does anyone have the recipe for scones made with cream.
Thanks
Re: Scones made with cream
March 13, 2008 07:48AM
The scones with lemonade in them are made with cream and no sugar.
You can use lemonade or l&p.
do you think it was them?
March 13, 2008 07:50AM
I keep meaning to make these scones one day for a laught with raspberry or lime fizz!
March 13, 2008 09:08AM
I think the scone recipe made with lemonade, cream and self-raising flour might come from Jo Seagar. I have been making them for years and I can PM you the recipe if you like. If you want to make a savory one, just use soda water instead of lemonade.
March 13, 2008 09:52AM
Scones made with lemonade and cream, and in this case cheese, were made on TV 1's "'Kiwi Kitchen" about 2 weeks ago - here's the link to the recipe as shown on that programme: [tvnz.co.nz]
March 13, 2008 11:19AM
I don't think anyone can lay claim to this recipe.
There are many versions around but this one seems to make sense as you use the whole can of lemonade and the whole bottle of cream without bits of left overs.

4 cups self-raising flour
300 ml cream
1 can lemonade
½ teaspoon salt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 11:22AM by helen.
March 13, 2008 10:50PM
Thanks for that. Am off to make them
Noeleen
March 13, 2008 11:24PM
Instead of cream and lemonade I use plain yoghurt and whatever fizzy I have in the house - at the moment that's home-made ginger beer. Yum! These are the only scones I can make, every other recipe turns out like small windowless buildings!
March 14, 2008 02:35AM
Thanks for your posting Rachel - I've been wondering about using yoghurt instead of the cream in the Lemonade Scones as we very rarely ever have cream on hand and if we do, it's because it's been bought for a special occasion whereas we almost always have natural yoghurt in the refrigerator.
Having been a scone maker for show purposes I used to always use cream instead of butter as this produced whiter scones but the liquid I used then was milk so I haven't actually used 'fizz' for scones yet but intend to try lemonade for plain or sultana scones, soda water for cheese scones, and I understand that gingerale makes yummy (my favourite) date scones and I believe that beer can also be used for scone making as well as in quick bread making e.g. Jo Seagar's Beer Bread: [www.joseagar.com]
My Mum always made lovely light yummy scones and she always added an egg to her sultana scones - does anyone else do this?
March 14, 2008 04:28AM
That's interesting Rachel. We always used the cream and lemonade recipe when we made scones at Playcentre because it was so easy for the kids to make but I have never made them at home because I don't often buy fizzy drink (or have cream hanging around). I do make gingerbeer though. The cream is an easier way of adding fat than rubbing in butter but yoghurt has much less fat so I am surprised they turn out OK. Do you use whole milk yoghurt or reduced fat?
Shirley - I add an egg to scone mixture (and extra sugar and butter) when I am making American style Strawberry Shortcake a la Alison Holst. I also have a number of scone recipes that call for egg - Blueberry Streusel Scones, JO WIGLEYS MUMS DATE SCONES, Raspberry & Chocolate Scones and Jam Scones. The last is the only one I have tried so far. The addition of the egg gives a richer dough

March 14, 2008 05:58AM
I've not regularly made the cream/fizzy scones because it makes scones (which, made by a traditional recipe are relatively low fat) into a high fat product - so - yogurt should work well, I'll give it a go. Some scones use buttermilk which is a tangy product so yogurt would give the same flavour I suppose.
March 14, 2008 06:11AM
Ginger beer and dates sounds wonderful - I might have to give these scones a go.
I have always avoided making them as I thought they seemed like "fakes" compared to the rubbing of butter etc...
I think now that maybe I am being a bit ridiculous and creating work for myself.
March 14, 2008 07:32AM
I use home made yoghurt, with green top milk (low fat). Home made by mixing 2 tablespoons of yoghurt with 800mls - 1 litre milk. I then use an eziyo incubator filled with boiling water, leaving it for approximately 6 hours.
March 14, 2008 11:22AM
I often keep a pack of the long life cream in the pantry, just for the scones recipe. They are always a success. In our local paper they had a recipe for quick hot cross buns. It was the basic cream/lemonade scones with spices and sultanas added. Then instead of the crosses, they made up an orange glaze to pour over the top.

Linda.
March 14, 2008 11:24AM
Anyone who has had a mother born before 1930's can make great scones, why do you have to go through all this palaver? I have tried/made these lemonade/cream things and they are nothing compared with the real scone. They look pretty and white but honestly guys, the flavour isn't like it used to be. Butter with all it's glorious richness and the loving rubbing ins of the fat is what makes a scone...not all these shortcuts.
The secret of a real scone is not to over mix it. Love it and be tender with your fingerings and all will be revealed.
March 17, 2008 08:36AM
Here here Kerry.
Although the "modern" cream and lemonade scones are always light, white and fluffy & soft, you really cant beat a crusty, buttery scone. Love that cheesy topof cheese scones or the crunchy outer edges of a date or savoury scone!! There is real substance to the "old fashioned" scone.MMmmm.
March 17, 2008 11:19AM
Mmmmmm scones is skonz..they have been turned into wannabe tried and trues by too many lazy cooks. Just like every other one of our nice nices.Everybody now seems to want a short cut... why??? can't any of you read anymore??
March 17, 2008 09:08PM
I can read. I can bake cakes. I can cook a roast dinner. I can make pancakes. I CAN NOT make scones, either the traditional way or with lemonade. I've tried mixing by hand, using a Kenwood mixer, and using one of thos wire contraptions for rubbing in (still have it, still use it). Nothing works. So, Kerry, it's got nothing to do with being able to read. If only it were that simple.
March 18, 2008 12:47AM
Sorry Lorna, that was a silly posting of mine anyway.

Scone making is alchemy - pure and simple.

But, I do make rather good cheese scones I'm told and I think the secret with them is I keep the flour in the freezer and use ice cold soda water for the mixing. Of course this just might be a load of old bunkem and have nothing whatsoever to do with it and it truly is..alchemy!
March 18, 2008 02:59AM
Hey KerryMentor,

My mother is 80+++ and she was born in Leeds in Yorkshire and she told me no woman from Yorkshire can make scoownes. Mind you in saying that she couldn't cook even toast when she married my father at 30+++ and although he has taught her to cook and she always brings along goodies when invited around, she really doesn't enjoy anything to do with being chained to the kitchen - where as I love it.
Alas I have troubles with scoownes, no matter which recipe I try - ho hum!!!!!

Warmest regards,
-Kathie-
March 18, 2008 08:28AM
Your scoownes are probably better than you think Agent Kathie..Has anyone broken their teeth on them yet? Thrown them to Sam as a cricket ball, tried to see if they sink in the bath tub? If the answer is yes to all three, then may I suggest turning up some rip-snorting music - ear splittingly loud, as scones like a bit of action to get them motivated I've heard. D o n o t p r o j e c t y o u r f e a r s o n t o t h e s c o o w n e s no matter how tempted you may be to curse them roundly.
If all else fails, channel Mrs Beeton who must have been a crackerjack scoowne maker.

Good luck Kathie...you can do it you can do it you can do it you can do it you can do it you can you can you can... smiling smiley I can't sad smiley but you can!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 08:28AM by Kerry.
March 18, 2008 11:49PM
Oh Kerry,

Thankyou ever so much, I feel motivated and invincible; bring on the SCOOOWNE and banish the Yorkshire Madusa curse.
I can do the music for them and me and have a vino or ten to prevent the fear factor.
But I can't do it this weekend as I am camping - damn it.
Will give it a whirl this Tuesday.
Your a gem!!!!

Fluffy buttery scooowney hugs heading your way,
-Kathie-
June 26, 2009 03:47PM
I make this receipe for our clients at work and it takes no time.

1 cup of cream
1 cup of dates soaked in hot water and 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1 dessertspoon of sugar
Enough flour to make a firm dough

Mix and turn onto floured board
Shape into a square fold each side to the middle
turn over and do it again (the air gets trapped in the folds)
cut into sqares and shape gently
cook
June 26, 2009 11:17PM
I asume you use self-raising flour Devon?
January 31, 2010 04:16AM
'Joy of Cooking', suggests Cafe Scones are made from:

4 cups self raising flour
300ml cream
300ml water
A little salt
Milk for Glazing

Preheat oven to 220 degrees C...

Sift flour and salt into a bowl and gradually stir in the cream and water to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll dough until 1" (2.5cm) thick. Cut into rounds with a cutter.

Place scones on a prepared tray, almost touching and brush the tops with a little milk. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until browned.

Serve scones with jam and cream.

Suitable to freeze, not suitable for microwave (except to reheat).
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.